LIEN CUISINE

Options
krissyliz78
krissyliz78 Posts: 181 Member
I am aweful @ selecting good meals so I opt for the easy way out and get Lien Cuisines. I like seeing the EXACT calorie count. Is this hurting me in the long run??

Replies

• cushygal
    cushygal Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    I would just be careful of the amount of sodium in those pre-packaged foods. I will have a Lean Cuisine for dinner every now and again if I am not in the mood to cook, but for the most part its all homemade meals.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    Most prepared foods are fairly high in sodium, so that isn't doing you any real favors.

More importantly, you're looking to lose weight and keep it off, I presume. Are Lean Cuisines going to be a staple of your diet forever? At some point before you go to maintenance, you're going to have to work out what foods will allow you to maintain that weight.

Get some frozen chicken breasts and start by discovering the simple joys of a stir-fry. :)
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Do you mean Lean Cuisine?
    Anyway, do you plan to eat them for the rest of your life? If you consider this a temporary change, and then you go back to eating like you did before, then you'll end up in the same place or worse (bounce back effect).
    Personally, I don't want to eat packaged foods for the rest of my life. I do eat them, including frozen meals -- although I prefer others to Lean Cuisine, but one of the important things for me is to learn how to track other items -- especially those bits of snacking I was doing that were adding up. And I can eat more and feel better when I make some fresh meals. So for me learning to estimate was critical.
    Your mileage may vary... good luck.
  • flobeedoodle
    flobeedoodle Posts: 176 Member
    Options

I really hoped this was going to be a thread about the high cost of food that is both healthy and tasty; e.g., "We had to take out a second mortgage to cover the asparagus and fresh fish!"
  • ActiveGuy81
    ActiveGuy81 Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    There is something I read about the high levels of sodium in Lean Cuisines that after a while you will stop losing weight.
  • Meaganandcheese
    Meaganandcheese Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    The highsodium content could mask any weight loss you get from eating them.
    That and the calorie counts on frozen meals are not necessarily accurate.

What is preventing you from making the same type of food at home?
  • gumigal82
    gumigal82 Posts: 350
    Options
    if you have little time for cooking, try to find prepared meals with "low sodium" or "heart healthy" on the label. (like soups that offer this now) But these can be very tough to find.
    It can be easier (not to mention tastier) to just look for a cookbook or recipes online that are easy,quick and healthy. Even prepare them ahead of time and freeze or put them in the fridge. Good luck:)
  • angrydolly
    angrydolly Posts: 22
    Options
    I only buy lean cuisines as a filler easy go to food.

The idea of losing weight on pre-packaged microwave meals doesn't sit right in my head at all, it's just as easy to steam a giant helping of fresh veggies in the microwave and add a little rice vinegar for lunch, and I feel more full after a bowl of brussel sprouts than I do after a lean cuisine. I only buy two or so to keep around so that when i am feeling lazy, I don't run off to a fast food place or something along those lines instead.

I'll buy the Kashi microwave meals too, the difference being i found out the hard way to read the box, what I thought was chicken, was really, literally, a baked banana. strangest insta-meal I have ever eaten o.o
  • Bikini27
    Bikini27 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options

I really hoped this was going to be a thread about the high cost of food that is both healthy and tasty; e.g., "We had to take out a second mortgage to cover the asparagus and fresh fish!"

Yep, had the same thought!
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    (high five)
  • josol1971
    josol1971 Posts: 46 Member
    Options

Sad isn't it? And they wonder why so many people are overweight.
  • Qatsi
    Qatsi Posts: 2,191 Member
    Options
    I'll usually pick up a few of these when the stores have a sale on them. They're good to have now and again when I don't have time to take a proper lunch at work, but I wouldn't want to make a steady diet of them.

Like other posters have warned - check the labels carefully if you're watching your sodium as well. When I do buy Lean Cuisines or similar meals from their competitors, I try to pick the ones that are lowest in sodium.
  • dakoerber
    dakoerber Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I used to eat those all the time because they were quick and are good. But then I saw a new report that the FDA allows them to post calories within 25% difference + or -. ( I think that was the correct number) the point is that even though they say the calories it can be off.

I eat them only once in awhile now.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Depends on your goals. these tend to be high in sodium and carbs, both of which make me hungry hungry in a very short period of time. Most prepared foods throw my macro goals into a complete free fall.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    They're good in a pinch - I especially love the little pizzas that are in the 350 calorie range. If I'm craving pizza, I'll microwave one and share it with the BF.

But of course, there are healthier options out there. :) You can always pair it with a big salad, as they do tend to leave you hungry not long after.
  • jadedlili02
    Options

Yep, had the same thought!

Amen! I have to budget a quarter of my paycheck just to cover fresh veggies! And don't get me started on fish!
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    I find Lean Cuisine high in sodium and I am always starving when I am done eating it.

It is worth your while to make the extra effort to cut up some fresh veggies for lunch and pair it with a lean cuisine and a complex carb.
  • IrishHarpy1
    IrishHarpy1 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    There is something I read about the high levels of sodium in Lean Cuisines that after a while you will stop losing weight.

I have one every day Monday through Friday for lunch... and I assure you it hasn't stopped me from losing weight. :happy:

That being said, they *are* rather high in sodium, so I compensate by making sure the rest of the day is sensible. For some people the meals themselves aren't enough, and if this is the case for you make sure that you add something like a side salad as a supplement.
  • watch48win
    watch48win Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    Personally I have never had one of them that looked like the picture on the box. For the same amount of calories, I can make my own lunch or dinner, and eat twice as much.