Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Leangains/IF - input, guidance, resources

chuisle
chuisle Posts: 1,052 Member
Hi all!

I think I want to try some form of intermittent fasting because I've heard its great for getting lean. I have a few questions:

1. I've heard of leangains the most - is it the best? Do you need to buy the book? What other options are there and how do they differ?

2. What if I don't workout at the same time everyday (sometimes morning, sometimes mid morning, sometimes evening)? Will that be difficult?

3. Any good articles or resources you want to send my way?

Thanks!

Replies

• amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Bump. me too.
  • VMarkV
    VMarkV Posts: 522 Member
    Search for the "intermittent fasting group" on this site, plenty of noobies here getting started
  • jfan175
    jfan175 Posts: 812 Member
    There is no book. Check out this site: http://examine.com/leangains-faq/

and then the official leangains.com guide here: http://doubleyourgains.com/musclebuildingmastermind/The_Leangains_Approach_Final.pdf.

After reading these, look around the site for all kinds of info.
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    thanks jfanent. I started reading and it looks like women can fast 14 hours and eat 10 hours.
    Other highlights:
    Fast for 16 hours, eat for 8 (roughly. Fasting for 14 or 18 hours will not kill you)
    Lift heavy stuff using the Big 4 compound movements (deadlifts, squats, bench press, chinups)
    +20% maintenance calories on workout days, -20% maintenance on non-workout days. Varying your caloric amounts is important
    Martin prefers to lift 3x a week. He also likes Reverse Pyramid Training (aka RPT).
    For beginners Martin does recommend Starting Strength.
    High protein every day (say 3g per kg bodyweight). On workout days high carb low fat, on non-workout days low carbs moderate fat.

I have Starting Stength so I am somewhat familiar.
  • Kazimira
    Kazimira Posts: 165 Member
    Interesting tidbits to dig into later. Thanks for posting!
  • StarvingDiva
    StarvingDiva Posts: 1,107 Member
    I just started this the other day. Today was the first day I worked out fasting and I had plenty of energy. Maybe it will change. I stopped eating around 6 and then worked out at 9 am, so I was done my workout by 10ish and ate. This seemed to work well, of course if I find a job soon, this will have to change, but until then we'll see. I'm anxious to see how this works out, as I read an entire Ebook on IF and the leangains seemed the easiest for me to do.

So we'll see how it goes.