Starting my new lifestyle....help!

Options
cait0902
cait0902 Posts: 127 Member
I need healthier food in my house! I'm a SAHM with two kids. Not a big fan of cooking, but I can. Lately, we have been eating bagles, biscuits and gravy, pizza, pasta, tuna sandwhiches, egg salad sandwhiches....

I need help! I want to eat better, I want my kids to be healthy, I want to lose weight!!!

SO....I need suggestions on foods/meals. What are some essentials I should pick up next time I go grocery shopping? What are some meals you love? Wanna share your grocery list?? Or the meals you have planned for this week??

Thanks everyone!!! :happy:

Replies

• jessewessy1990
    jessewessy1990 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I have just tried a new quiche and is really really good! Could do it with salads or a bigger portion with new potatoes and veg!

I used 600g of cottage cheese
    3 small eggs
    I then used mushrooms (may need to fry them first, made it a bit runny)
    peppers
    ham
    tiny bit of cheese
    spices

Mix the cottage cheese and eggs together, add veg and top with cheese.
    Oven on number 6 for 30-40 mins or until firm.

Very cheap ingredients and so quick. Could add more veg, different meat etc

You'll thank me I promise:laugh:
  • cyclerjenn
    cyclerjenn Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of cottage cheese, I mix it in oatmeal and make fruit parfaits with it. I also eat a lot of stir fry's just need to limit the sauce and oils when you make them. But they are loaded with veggies and lean protein.

Check out skinnytastes.com for some good recipes.
  • beachlover718
    Options
    my favorite dinner- grilled chicken, also grilled: cherry tomatoes, red peppers, red onions, pineapple. over couscous, bulger- whatever grain you like.

I really like eggs so I usually have scrambled egg whites ( with a little yolk) for breakfast, although i LOVE peanut butter so had that on rye bread for breakfast today.

just started air popping popcorn in the microwave, it's not too bad

still working on getting my kids to make better choices. :smile:

edited to add: hungry girl.com has some good ideas as well
  • thetrishwarp
    thetrishwarp Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Fried rice:

rice
    scrambled egg
    corn (or other frozen veggies)
    onion
    soya sauce

cook the rice and egg separately, combine them with other ingredients in a pan to fry.

you can make a ton at once and then reheat it for subsequent meals, and it's fairly healthy!
  • SecondChance2012
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! :flowerforyou:

Some of the things I like to keep around are:

Hummus
    Baby Carrots (good with the hummus), radishes and celery, trimmed, washed and ready to eay
    40 calorie Wasa Crisps Lite (good with the hummus)
    Apples, Oranges, Bananas, Strawberries & lots of Lemons for lemon water (I don't like plain water that much)
    Eggs and Egg Whites + fresh & frozen Veggies for snacking or to add to the eggs/egg whites to make veggie omlets which I like to top with Low Cal Chunky Salsa
    Skim Milk
    Special K
    Jolly Time Lite Butter Pop
    Brown Rice (cooked and stored in frig)
    Onions, elephant garlic
    Pam (both butter and olive oil flavors)
    Any of Goya's canned beans in Sauce (red label)
    Cool Whip Lite
    Sugar Free Jello-O
    Sugar Free Jell-O Sweet Indulgences
    Portion controlled, single serving ice cream cups
    Truvia or Stevia in the Raw sweetener
    My favorite tea bags

My kids are grown now but from the time they were small, whenever I could afford to, I bought our snacks in single serving size packages to help them get used to what a single serving is like. Now 20 & 22, I am happy to report that both kids automatically practice portion control and do not struggle with yo-yo weight issues like I do. I'd like to think that one little change I made (with portion controlled packaging) helped to create their good habits.

Also, my 20 year old son is living with me, again. He struggles with "liking" veggies so I sautee sliced onion, in olive oil pam, and add them to steamed spinach, broccoli, string beans, carrots, cauliflower...even brussel sprouts, to give the veggies a little flavor blast. Last night I saw that he was having a late night snack of steamed spinach with sauteed onion :-)

Feel free to friend me for moral support if you'd like to. :flowerforyou:
  • aphillips8180
    aphillips8180 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I recently found johnsonville chicken sausage with cheddar cheese in them, delicious! Also, Freschetta makes a couple of "healthy" pizzas... thin crust with pepperoni, peppers and mushrooms and I know there is one with spinach on it too, they're kinda expensive though. I've recently started making a lot of chicken breast or lean pork chops with either shake n bake or my own bread crumb & seasoning combination. Fresh veggies and fruits are a must! Salad with fat free shredded cheese and fat free or light dressing is always a good side. :) If you want, add me as a friend... I make lots of easy dinners cause I'm not a huge fan of cooking. My food diary is open so if we're friends, you'll be able to see what I'm eating. :)
  • andy2486
    andy2486 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    If you and your kids enjoy pizza, try making mini pizzas on whole wheat english muffins with light string cheese, turkey pepperoni, and you can make sauce from scratch or find a healthier substitute at the store.
    For snacks, I like sensible portions veggie chips and apple straws or 100 cal bags of Jolly Time popcorn is also a great snack. Apples with peanut butter, reduced fat wheat thins and laughing cow light cheese wedges are also a staple in my house.
    I second hungrygirl.com. I just purchased her 300 under 300 book and there are TONS of recipes that sound amazing. Good luck!
  • kwheelock
    kwheelock Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    For breakfast or even lunch I make my own egg and cheese english muffin sandwich. Just one large egg, fat free cheese slice, and 100 calorie english muffin with a side of carrots or strawberries. Pretty simple and easy dinner that I like to make is tilapia. I buy the bag of frozen tilapia, thaw what I want, and sprinkle a small amount of italian bread crumbs and parmesan cheese for flavor and bake for about 12 minutes at 425. I usually have steamed vegetables to go with. Snacks I usually try to have fruit around or caramel rice cakes (satisfies my sweet tooth a bit). Oatmeal with a little bit of brown sugar and bananas is a pretty regular breakfast item for myself as well.

My husband currently works the night shift so I'm on my own for dinner a lot. I love to cook, but don't want to go to all the trouble for just me. These are just some of the simple things I like to throw together. I'm also home with a 4 month old, so quick and easy is my favorite :)
  • capnwo85
    capnwo85 Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    If you want to eat healthier, buy healthier food. Throw out all the crap and don't buy it anymore. Really the only thing you can do if avoiding it isn't working for you. Don't know what else to say here...
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Baja Fresh Bowl at Home:

Take meat (preferably shrimp and beef. Tilapia works nicely, too) and stirfry with corn, onions and green peppers. Pour some smoked hot sauce into it for chipotle flavor. Brown it.

Chop some romaine lettuce and tomatoes and put it into a bowl. Add a touch of cilantro.

Combine everything and give it a good shake. Serve with a squirt of lime and slice some avacados on top.

Everyone will think you know how to cook.
  • cait0902
    cait0902 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    If you want to eat healthier, buy healthier food. Throw out all the crap and don't buy it anymore. Really the only thing you can do if avoiding it isn't working for you. Don't know what else to say here...

That's what I'm trying to do, hence the post asking for help with food. I obviously haven't been buying or eating a whole lot of healthy foods and didn't really have to worry about it until now. So I'm looking for ideas on what foods are healthy, but taste good, easy to make, etc. If I go to the grocery store without any ideas on what to buy, then I'll most likely end up buying the same crap I always do....

And thank you, to everyone else who actually helped and gave me some great ideas!
  • capnwo85
    capnwo85 Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    everything in moderation + exercise. Don't limit your self to "healthy" foods. Do this and you'll be good to go.
  • queenbeejulie
    queenbeejulie Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I have three kids and I like to keep things that are easy for them (and me!) to grab for snacks:

*sugar snap peas
    *baby carrots
    *sliced apples with 1 tblsp of peanut butter to dip
    *wasa crisps
    *mandarin oranges
    *mini rice cakes
    *yogurt (one of the less sugary ones)
    *del monte real fruit popsicles
    *bananas

For dinner they like ground turkey burgers with spinach and feta, brown rice, roasted veggies, grilled chicken breast, cedar plank salmon, turkey chili, what they call "baja bowls" with shredded chicken or pulled pork, black beans, brown rice, fresh salsa and some cheese sprinkled over, stuff like that!

It can be tough to eat healthy when you are trying to please picky kids that is for sure! Good luck, and feel free to add me for support if you would like :)
  • wiregrrl
    wiregrrl Posts: 14
    Options
    For snacks, we like baby carrots, mini peppers, wasa crackers w/ natural peanut butter, grapes, pistachios, & sunflower seeds. I've replaced regular bread with wraps & fold-it flatbread.
  • EmilyMarieMo
    EmilyMarieMo Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I pin things all the time on Pinterest that are food recipes for both adults and kid ideas!!! It you want to follow: http://pinterest.com/emilymoreno/food/
  • mbajrami
    mbajrami Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    Breakfast:

Mission Carb Balance Whole Wheat Tortilla (small)
    Over-easy egg
    sprinkle a little feta
    1 Tbsp picante sauce
    diced avocado

Fresh, delicious and 2 of these babies is only about 470 calories.
  • Julie_9
    Julie_9 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Welcome and good luck. I make a lot of dinners with chicken breasts. One of my simple and quick meals is Mexican Chicken. Chicken breasts covered in salsa and sprinkle with cheddar cheese, cover with foil and bake at 400 for about 20-25 mins depending on how think the chicken is. Goes great with rice.
  • JamesonsMommy
    JamesonsMommy Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    Chicken and other lean meats are a good start
    lots and lots of fresh veggies
    chickpeas- there are several recipes online for roasting them. My 3 year old asks for these
    quinoa-plain is yummy but mixing it with some egg and low fat cheese and baking in muffin cups is even better
    get a tub of greek yogurt and mix a ranch packet with it.. High protein veggie dip :)
    I could go on forever but i won't.. Join pinterest if you aren't already a member. YOu will find a ton of healthy fun ideas :)
  • j1wright
    j1wright Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    For easy things
    buy a bag of grilled chicken breast strips and pita pockets add lettuce and string cheese and hummus for a sandwich
    pb and j for a sandwich in moderation
    make a pizza on a pita pocket or on english muffins
    Buy a bag of stir fry with the chicken and veggies already in it
    Make a big salad
    Buy different types of soups to go with sandwiches
    Buy lite popcorn for munchies
    veggies with lite ranch to dip
    apples strawberries and banana's
    yogurt, with a bit of cereal for crunch and fresh strawberries
    sugar free pudding

I have a 6 year old and all the above works for her and for me. :)
  • PoetikLuvr
    PoetikLuvr Posts: 12
    Options
    Try things like light string cheese and mixed cheese sticks. They don't have that nasty after taste we all think of when we hear the word light. Also try substituting Almond Milk for milk in your cereal. It makes the cereal sweeter and allows you to skip adding sugar to it. Special K chips are a great substitute for regular chips, and you can eat a boat load for minimal calories. For tasty treats try skinny cow items, like their ice cream bars and candy clusters. They are really good and only about 100 calories a treat.