Knee Injuries and Weight Loss

Options
I've had 2 knee surgeries in the past 6 months (same knee), so I've put weight back on and need to get it off. I have really wide hips and a big belly pouch to get rid of. Besides water exercises and boxing, what are some ideas for cardio or strength training that won't put stress on the knees?

Replies

• abberbabber
    abberbabber Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    I'd be interested to know, too. My mom has horrible arthritis in her knees and can barely walk. Would love to hear the suggestions for this!
  • Cdcaldwe
    Cdcaldwe Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I bought an elliptical machine when my knees gave up last October. I had really started excercising had a previous knee reconstruction and the walking/jogging had hurt my knees. Doctor advised i get one. Back to running 5 to 8 miles a day now.
  • unlocke
    unlocke Posts: 149
    Options
    Great idea. I've done that a few times in physical therapy, but I don't have one at home. Time for me to go shopping!! ;)
  • sehrler
    sehrler Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I bought an elliptical machine when my knees gave up last October. I had really started excercising had a previous knee reconstruction and the walking/jogging had hurt my knees. Doctor advised i get one. Back to running 5 to 8 miles a day now.

THIS ^^^

I had ACL reconstruction about 10 years ago and my knee still bothers me sometimes so I avoid high impact--I LOOOOOOOVE my elliptical. To me, no workout can compare, and I never have knee issues using it. I do about 45-50 mins a day on it in conjunction with strength training and pilates. I get awesome results, I've lost 90+ lbs (my ticker below only reflects what I've lost since starting MFP in March, 36 lbs of the 90 were gained back when I stopped using the elliptical and baked my brains out, and ate the baked goods in happy relationship mode, I'm back on track now).
  • Vonnie2006
    Vonnie2006 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    My doc "prescribed" an elliptical and walking for me as well. Walking a zero incline. I'm hard headed though and still do workout DVDs, I just modify the moves and listen to my body's signal that I should not do a particular move again.
  • DaveC29
    DaveC29 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Whenever I have running injuries, I always continue my training plan on the elliptical- great workout and no impact for the joints!

Good luck!
  • kmcover08
    kmcover08 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    An eliptical is great as I have had three knee surgeries, with an ACL replacement and half the miniscus taken out. My trainer also said a stationary bike is great for strength building in the beginning or when I have a flare up or scar tissue break away, I am back to playing high impact sports. I love Spin class, if it is offered you should try it out.
  • littleworm23
    littleworm23 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I have had knee surgery (14yrs ago) but it still bothers me. I love ellipticals and my exercise bike. I get the cardio without the impact.
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    Battle Ropes!!!

,recumbent bike, elliptical, arc trainer, water boot camp
  • Glovesave3373
    Glovesave3373 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I had dual ACL surgery last year... both knees 2 weeks apart... I balloned up to 275 and over the past year I've been able to drop nearly 25lbs of it.... and I've already started playing hockey... and YOU CAN DO IT.

It is difficult and boxing wow... there is actually some tremendous torque on the knee when you punch... I had to stop hitting the bags for now.

Have you tried using the Armatron at the gym. It is the machine that is chest high and you grab with your arms and kind of like pedal but with you hands instead of your legs... speaking of there is always biking...

And then there is always the good old walk.... don't knock it... if you just go for a longer walk or maybe find a hill to walk up.... you can burn just as much as if you were running. My gym has a few treadmills that go past 18 degrees... up to 40 degrees I believe. If you climb at a higher degree you burn a crazy amount and not to mention work that knee out so you don't get any scar tissue....

AND REMEMBER EVEN IN YOUR RECOVER PHASE... IF YOU KNEE IS FEELING GOOD... ICE IT AFTER ANY ACTIVITY FOR AT LEAST 6 MONTHS. YOU MAN NOT FEEL IT BUT THE ICE WILL HELP WITH THE SWELLING AND KEEP YOU GOING THE NEXT DAY... AND THE DAY AFTER THAT....
  • slsmoot123
    slsmoot123 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Sometime my knee injury flares up and on those days I use the recumbent bike. It takes a little longer to burn the same calories but it gets the job done.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Walk At Home DVDs - these are low impact aerobic videos with no choreography. Here's a video clip .. see if it looks "doable."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45wkl9Rs-MI&feature=related

Because these don't have choreography .... you can go at your own pace. I do these on a carpeted floor (an exercise mat would lessen the impact too.
  • workreadplay
    Options
    I've had 2 knee surgeries in the past 6 months (same knee), so I've put weight back on and need to get it off. I have really wide hips and a big belly pouch to get rid of. Besides water exercises and boxing, what are some ideas for cardio or strength training that won't put stress on the knees?

I'm recovering from two knee surgeries as well. My second, two cartilege implants, takes 18 months to recover from. The best exercises I have found for cardio and strength are stationary bikes and treadmills. I personally can't use the elliptical because my knee is unable to take such a great amount of weight coming down on it. I also use leg machines at the gym.

My best recommendation would be to talk to your physical therapist. All the exercises I do for weight loss and strength are derived from what I do in therapy. If you're still recovering, I would not recommend doing any exercises until you talk them over with wither your therapist or surgeon.
  • unlocke
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the great ideas. Any kind of distance walking is out of the question right now. Just going to the bathroom and back at work is painful. The first surgery in November was a simple scope (meniscus repair) that went fine, but the doc refused to let me do any physical therapy or exercises until almost 7 weeks out. In that time, I developed severe scarring (my quad was paralyzed). I went to another doc in February and had it cleaned out and repaired. Started physical therapy the next day and they just graduated me yesterday to a Wellness Program that includes the elliptical, bikes, and the treadmill. My knee is still very weak (about 50%) and goes out from under me a few times a day, so I have to be very careful with it.

My husband and I went on a fitness quest in 2009 and each of us lost around 65 pounds. I had my first knee scope in 2009 on the left knee. Recovery went very well on that one and I was back to exercising in no time. We love hiking, so I am very excited about getting back in shape enough to go again. I just have to remember to pace myself, be patient & don't overdo it, and focus on a healthy diet.

I've been doing some of the workout dvd's at home and modifying the moves, focusing on upper body. It's working, cause I'm down about 15 lbs (not reflected on here because I didn't record what I had gained.) in the past month. But....I just wanted to see if you all had any new ideas I hadn't thought of.
  • rockinright
    rockinright Posts: 241
    Options
    I have very early-stage, mild osteoarthritis in both knees at age 34. Mostly it bothers me going up or down stairs, and sometimes if I sit for a long time. The funny thing is, nobody seems to know why I have it this young, when I never played high-impact sports, never injured either knee to any degree requiring medical attention, and, while I *AM* obese, I'm not THAT obese, it's not as if I'm 350 lbs or something, and I've only been this weight for about 8 years.

That said, I am trying to lose weight and exercise NOW to keep it from getting worse any faster than nature intended.

I sometimes have a little pain when walking or exercising, but it seems to go away after a few minutes of moving my joints around, and actually feels better afterwards. Is that normal?
  • unlocke
    Options
    Yeah, it's normal. My doctors and physical therapists all told me that the best things I can do for myself at this point are to strengthen the quad and calf muscles, and to lose weight. I'm around 180 right now, but should be between 130 and 140.
    Sounds like you have the right motivation and attitude. Keep up the good work.
  • ImaKnitter67
    Options
    Water aerobics, "chair" aerobics (all exercises are done sitting in or standing next to a chair w/one hand on it), walking your dog, recumbent bike. Got a bad knee and I can do all of these.