flaxseed

Options
Where do you find flaxseed?
Also, would it be too much to start eating flaxseed and taking fish oil at the same time, since they are both high sources of omega 3? I don't want to overdo it. (I also take a multi and biotion daily)
Thanks ya'll! :)

Replies

• enyo123
    enyo123 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I get mine at my grocery store in the organic food section.
  • impyimpyaj
    impyimpyaj Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    You can get flaxseed gelcaps in the vitamin section of the grocery store, or wherever you buy your multi. I've also found ground and whole flaxseed in bags in the produce section of my grocery store, near the salad mixes.
  • debroecker
    debroecker Posts: 4
    Options
    I get it online at discount nuts
  • CallieM15
    CallieM15 Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    I know walmart sells it.
  • SlowlyLosingLolita
    SlowlyLosingLolita Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    For some reason, All the Dollar Trees in my area sell that Bob's Red Mill Flax Seeds.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I would not worry about too much omega 3 unless it is making you go over your fat macro- but I would start taking one and then the other- I wouldn't add both at the same time (I can't tell if you're already taking the fish oil). My store got rid of the organic section and placed all the products throughout the store- now its kept in the back of the produce section with other nuts and dried fruits and dates, raisins, that kind of thing. If you buy flax seed whole, you have to grind it- I use a coffee grinder- or you will not get the nutrients, the seed coating is too hard to digest. It is better to use the ground seed than a pill because the pill form is just the oil, not all the fiber and phytonutrients that the seeds themselves have.
  • glennstoudt
    glennstoudt Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Where do you find flaxseed?
    Also, would it be too much to start eating flaxseed and taking fish oil at the same time, since they are both high sources of omega 3? I don't want to overdo it. (I also take a multi and biotion daily)
    Thanks ya'll! :)

Ground flaxseed is available in most grocery stores. There are some differences between various brands but it is not very significant. One has a few more calories, a bit higher omega 3 and so on.

Not likely you will "overdo" omega 3 intake unless you have absolutely no omega 6 intake. I take fish oil and flax daily.
    I mix the ground flax into oatmeal and on alternate days, yogurt, along with other goodies such as wheat germ, chia seeds, and fruits. If you are the type that would like to be certain about that Omega 3/6/9 balance, go to self.com and look up the nutritional profile of everything you eat, then add in the new supplements/foods you will be taking and see what it looks like.
    Happy eating!
  • acg1305
    acg1305 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Grocery store, its pretty pricey. I put mine on top of my cereal or on top of yoghurt.