Hey Fitness Pals

Options
OK, So I am a 50 something guy. I need to lose some pounds and get fit etc..I look forward to reaching my goals with help from this site! Your suggestions would be welcome. I'm a bit overwhelmed by all the message boards etc, but plan on using the calorie tracker, exercise tracker etc to keep me motivated. What has helped you most to succeed in losing pounds/inches?

Replies

• Wester
    Wester Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    OK, So I am a 50 something guy. I need to lose some pounds and get fit etc..I look forward to reaching my goals with help from this site! Your suggestions would be welcome. I'm a bit overwhelmed by all the message boards etc, but plan on using the calorie tracker, exercise tracker etc to keep me motivated. What has helped you most to succeed in losing pounds/inches?
  • ricksnaustin
    ricksnaustin Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    From one 50 yr old to another, YOU CAN DO IT!!

I decided to join a gym, quit smoking, and get back to my high school weight. I have a long way to go, but I am pumped and motivated. I also want to get healthy. I plan on staying around for a while. :glasses:

I actually started out 4 weeks ago and have lost 8 pounds even though my ticker here says 2. The first 3 weeks I did nothing but cardio 45 min a day...6 days a week. Starting with week 4, I began doing 45 min of cardio and 15 min of strength training. I do 3 days upper body and 3 days lower body and alternate.

I cut out all soda's and drinking mainly water or green tea. I eat pretty much what I want but watch my fat intake. I basically follow the Food Tracker here and plan each day.

You will do well. Great group here.
  • lulubar
    lulubar Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP wester! This is such a great place to get fit!! The greatest advice anyone gave me that has made a huge difference is to DRINK MY WATER. Take your weight, divide by two and that's how many ounces of water you should be drinking daily. Log every every every morsal of food - even if you take a bite of something - log it. The most filling foods are high fiber foods - especially fresh veggies.

Congratulations on your decision to get fit (I'm 48 and my hubby is 49 and we are doing this together)! Read posts - there is so much great info on this site it's incredible! Good luck!
  • stillkristi
    stillkristi Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    I just joined MFP a week ago. I initially joined for the calorie counter, but I have to say, the message boards are really helpful. I love to see others who are working on the same goals I have, but are further along, because they are so helpful. And if you get discouraged, everyone is so supportive and helpful. Congratulations, you're here! :bigsmile:
  • Losing_It
    Losing_It Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    Welcome aboard!!!!:flowerforyou:
  • MOMOFTWO29
    MOMOFTWO29 Posts: 8,276 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome to MFP. You will love this site if you don't already. I love this site, it is so motivational, supportive, helpful, and everyone is so nice, and friendly. I just wanted to tell you good luck on your weight loss journey. You can do this.
  • kay50
    Options
    Do you all have a group of age 50-60 yr olds>>looking for one to join