BMR and Obese

Options
dobenjam
dobenjam Posts: 232 Member
So I have looked up many topics on this and nothing seems to address this specifically. I have read that you are never to eat below your BMR. I have also read it is ok if you are Obese. I have done the BMR calculation on Fat2Fit (link below). It tells me that my BMR is about 2400 calories but for eating at a sedentary level I should eat 2353 calories.

I also get the warning to adjust my goal (which is a healthy goal) because I shouldn't eat below my BMR. I honestly don't think I was eating that many calories before but they could have been sneaking in there when I wasn't paying attention to how much I was eating.

Either way MFP has me eating 1700 calories before I work out and I'm not hitting that. I'm just starting back at this and I want to lose weight in a sensible manner but I also would like to start seeing results quickly. So....Is it ok to eat below BMR if you are Obese (32% body fat)?

http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    It's a rule of thumb. Your BMR at this point is taking your fat into account. Try again with your goal weight and see where your BMR is. Anyway it's really based on our TDEE and creating a deficit from there.
  • dobenjam
    Options
    But if my TDEE is about 20% above my BMR, then eating below my BMR is still below my TDEE. And if I need to eat more than what MFP is saying then I want to know now rather than do myself harm.
  • ashleab37
    ashleab37 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    The rule about not eating below BMR is not as crucial for those of us who are obese. As long as you're above 1,200 a day (AND NOT HUNGRY, TIRED, OR FATIGUED - I CANNOT STRESS THIS POINT ENOUGH) it's not a big deal. Reassess once you are in the "overweight" category instead of obese.

Either way, It really doesn't sound right for your BMR to be 2400 and your sedentary number to be 2352. Your sedentary number is 1.2x BMR.

Try this one;
    http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    If your BMR is 2400 but it's telling you if your sedentary to eat at 2353 then something is amiss. Sedentary is 20% above BMR and if someone has any kind of life (j/k), then TDEE is well above that.
  • nigel061
    nigel061 Posts: 109
    Options
    BMR is not some magical number that you perish if you eat below it. I am obese and am managing very well under BMR.
  • TType85
    TType85 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Going by Fat 2 Fit at my goal weight I should be at about 2370/day, MFP has me at 2470 when it is set at 1#/week. I usually end up 2-300 below that because I know I am probably under-estimating small things like creamer in my coffee.

So far doing that, in 13 weeks I have lost 15#. I have started walking more and doing more activity hoping to speed the loss up a bit.
  • wildboar1
    wildboar1 Posts: 88
    Options
    There's no way your BMR is 2400 calories unless you are 6'9"+.

To give you an idea, I'm 6'0" 220lbs @ about 19% bodyfat with a 405lb squat, and my BMR is ~ 2100ish.

The BMR calculators are all estimates, and they all are off.
  • bayertablets
    bayertablets Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    This is the blog that made it so easy for me to understand:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/lillebanon/view/my-take-on-eating-more-to-weigh-less-254554

She suggests using the following website to determine BMR, TDEE, and your TDEE Cut (the 5-20% cut in calories you should take if you want to lose weight).

http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/

She recommends eating at your TDEE Cut everyday, regardless if you're exercising or not, and NEVER netting below your BMR calories. I started doing this last week and I've lost about 2.5 lbs, but as with everything, results may vary!

For me,
    BMR = 2450
    TDEE = 3750 (3-5 hrs/week of moderate activity, i.e. gym workouts)
    TDEE - 20% = 3000

So I eat 3000 cals a day, and eat back SOME of my exercise cals when necessary in order to net my BMR .

[FYI when I set my activity to "Sedentary" (for my rest day calculations), my TDEE was below my BMR. For those days, I changed my goal to 10% reduction instead of 20% so that I would still eat at or above my BMR on those days.]

Check out the following group for more info, and good luck!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/3834-eat-more-to-weigh-less
  • glittersoul
    glittersoul Posts: 671
    Options
    I followed this advice and have broken out of a year long plateau!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/lillebanon/view/my-take-on-eating-more-to-weigh-less-254554

She suggests using the following website to determine BMR, TDEE, and your TDEE Cut (the 5-20% cut in calories you should take if you want to lose weight).

She recommends eating at your TDEE Cut everyday, regardless if you're exercising or not, and NEVER netting below your BMR calories. I started doing this last week and I've lost about 2.5 lbs, but as with everything, results may vary!

For me,
    BMR = 2450
    TDEE - 20% = 3000

So I eat 3000 cals a day, and eat back SOME of my exercise cals when necessary in order to net my BMR .

[FYI when I set my activity to "Sedentary" (for my rest day calculations), my TDEE was below my BMR. For those days, I changed my goal to 10% reduction instead of 20% so that I would still eat at or above my BMR on those days.]

• ehs5mw
    ehs5mw Posts: 65
    Options
    There's no way your BMR is 2400 calories unless you are 6'9"+.

To give you an idea, I'm 6'0" 220lbs @ about 19% bodyfat with a 405lb squat, and my BMR is ~ 2100ish.

The BMR calculators are all estimates, and they all are off.

My BMR is slightly higher than yours (tested) and yet I am 2 inches shorter and just over 20 pounds smaller than you with a higher bodyfat %. The only way to really know I guess is to get it tested. I have no idea if 2400 could be right, though it does sound like a lot.
  • rheelizabeth
    rheelizabeth Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I'm only 149cm and 76kg. I was very sedentary before losing weight but now exercise 5 times a week. My TDEE comes up as over 2300 but I never eat more than net 1550. Never hungry, never tired etc.... I don't really get the TDEE... BMR makes a lot more sense to me
  • TType85
    Options
    I followed this advice and have broken out of a year long plateau!

Wow, that is accurate :tongue:

Using that I came up with around 2300 cal/day to loose 1.1lb/week which is dang close to the 1.15lb/week I have hit.
    For me it is M age 36, 307# 6' tall, sedentary.

For the OP: What do you have the weight loss set at per week? Your probably best off starting at 1#/week.
  • TType85
    Options
    I'm only 149cm and 76kg. I was very sedentary before losing weight but now exercise 5 times a week. My TDEE comes up as over 2300 but I never eat more than net 1550. Never hungry, never tired etc.... I don't really get the TDEE... BMR makes a lot more sense to me

What is your TDEE at your goal weight? Isn't that is about what you will need to eat to maintain your goal weight.
  • rheelizabeth
    rheelizabeth Posts: 160 Member
    Options

What is your TDEE at your goal weight? Isn't that is about what you will need to eat to maintain your goal weight.

2092.... I struggle as it is to reach 1550 daily as a net. I think eating an extra 500 calories a day would have no positive affect on my weight loss. I have never ate over 1550 a day, even at my heaviest, I was just completely sedentary, and what I ate was total crap.
  • TType85
    Options
    I honestly don't think I was eating that many calories before but they could have been sneaking in there when I wasn't paying attention to how much I was eating.

This is what was happening with me. Over the past 2 years I went from 305 to 322. In the past 13 weeks I went from 322 down to 307. By logging everything I eat I noticed the stuff I wasn't paying attention to like snacks from the vending machine or that 2nd breakfast sandwich that is only a penny more than getting one. Since I realized what I was eating I have been able to cut it out and hit my calorie goals easily. I also cut out soda completely.
    It tells me that my BMR is about 2400 calories but for eating at a sedentary level I should eat 2353 calories.
    Either way MFP has me eating 1700 calories before I work out and I'm not hitting that. I'm just starting back at this and I want to lose weight in a sensible manner but I also would like to start seeing results quickly.

The fat2fit looks to be a TDEE - 20% calculation.

3500 calories per week (1 pound per week) goal which is a healthy rate to loose weight. 1700 calories is over 2 pounds per week loss adjust it to 1 pound per week. Lasting weight loss is not a race, it is a life style change.

*** I AM ASSUMING SEDENTARY ACTIVITY FOR THE BELOW ***

BMR * 1.2 = TDEE (2400 * 1.2 = 2880)
    TDEE * .80 = Cal/Day (2880 *.8 = 2304)
    TDEE - Cal/Day = Deficit (2880 - 2304 = 576)

Above Calc --> 576 * 7 = 4032 calorie deficit per week. A bit over a pound per week.
    BMR --> 480 * 7 = 3360 calorie deficit per week. A bit under a pound per week.
    Fat 2 Fit --> 530 * 7 = 3710 calorie deficit per week. A bit over a pound per week.

Realistically if you eat between 2300 and 2400 cal/day you should loose a pound per week. Recalculate ever 5 pounds or so. These numbers are all guesstimates because it varies a bit from person to person.
  • dobenjam
    Options
    The rule about not eating below BMR is not as crucial for those of us who are obese. As long as you're above 1,200 a day (AND NOT HUNGRY, TIRED, OR FATIGUED - I CANNOT STRESS THIS POINT ENOUGH) it's not a big deal. Reassess once you are in the "overweight" category instead of obese.

Either way, It really doesn't sound right for your BMR to be 2400 and your sedentary number to be 2352. Your sedentary number is 1.2x BMR.

Try this one;
    http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/

Thanks! I'll give that one a try!
  • dobenjam
    Options

For me,
    BMR = 2450
    TDEE - 20% = 3000

Wow, lots of good info here. Thanks for the help!
  • chrisb75
    chrisb75 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    If you really want to understand the challenges in weight loss for an obese person and what to do about them, read this. I warn you, this is very technical and VERY long. Its an amazing site in general, though and chock full of good info:
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/training-the-obese-beginner.html

There are 7 parts. Whoever told you that you don't need to worry about BMR is full of it.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    BMR is not some magical number that you perish if you eat below it. I am obese and am managing very well under BMR.

Exactly. Every site explains that the calculation of the BMR is a very complex process and the formulae do not work for everyone. The fact that there's more than one calculation method should signal to everyone that it's not a precise science.
  • paulperryman
    paulperryman Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    old thread but just to note, MFP doesn't care about dropping below BMR on the goal screen it suggests on the food screen that you shouldn't but thats not a rule, jsut a suggestion., I was obese and now am in overweight territory, i highly doubt my body would go into starvation mode anytime soon or slow my motabolism which is naturally slow anyone given im an Endomorph type.

So if like mine the TDEE and BMR seem to be really close which they would be in the case of sedentary or light activity and you tell it you want to lose 2lbs a week that would put you below TDEE and below the BMR calculation too but are you killing yourself? i don't think so. BMR is just what you would need if you were in a sleep/coma state and didn't want to lose weight if you ate or were fed during those states you could gain weight.

The rule about not going below 1200 is just that 1200 for most people would be way too little to not feel starved and lethargic plus on 1200 you are not getting very many macronutrients which is what the body needs to survive. Calories are just the combination of those nutrients not the energy source itself.

atm at 199lbs, age 40 with a body mass of around 28%. Mine tells me my BMR is 1800 and my lifestyle is light, tho during a work week it's moderate but i digress, so at light i would need to eat 2400 to maintain, and to lose 1Kg a week i need to eat 1000 less calories a day which sets me 500 below the BMR figure at 1300

Overthinking it just stresses you out and the weight loss will stop if you are stressed, same as starvation mode, boredom, overtraining, under drinking water would all of these can lead to stalls in weight loss or unwanted gains. KISS principle,
    Eat less calories then you need to live and you force the body to go into it's reserves for fuel when those fuels are depleted you need to refuel and when you reach your goal, start adding more calories back in to maintain weight or even more to bulk up muscle.