SCAREDY PANTS!

Options
MsNewBooty83
MsNewBooty83 Posts: 1,003 Member
hey guys :) I was just excited because today i ran for the first time in my life! lol i felt so proud of myself.

I`ve been the "chubby one" my whole life. I struggled in phys ed throughout my school years and completly dreaded track and field day. Every year I would come in dead last, I guess someone had to, but its still pretty crushing to a kids ego. I suppose I carried that fear into adulthood because I really have had such a hard time over comming my fear of running! I think every time i see a runner I have track and field day flashbacks!

A good personal friend of mine has been encouraging me to " just try" because she knows how envious I am of runners. So today,after my boxing class, I decided to get aboard the dreaded tredmill. Anxiety kicked in almost immediatly. I can feel my the impact every time my foot hit the tred runner and im thinking about what a mess my jiggly *kitten* must look like, that my stomach is probly looking like the surface of a bowl of jello in an earthquakeand my arms must be flapping away like a couple of turkey gizzards....and im only walking at this point. WHY AM I SO PARANIOD?!!

So I call over one of the trainers (talking calms me, always, gift of the gab...i got it! ). I figure, I'll just chat with her about what I want to do and ask some questions about how to get to my goal of being a runner, lol. I talk about C25K (cause everyone seems to be doing it around here), but that program seems kinda weak to me. Despite my being such a chicken on the tredmill, I really am a grab life by the balls kinda person, I swear! lol So she says, well see if you can run the first min, so i crank 'er up and do it, NO PROBLEM....well, okay see if you can go for 2, done. 3? ok easy...she says, well maybe try for 5 and then take a 2min rest (5run, 2walk) and she leaves me.

Well, now I'm running, dammit I'm doing it!!!!! Another trainer walks by and compliments me on m gait! "wow, youve got a fantastic gait" ARE YOU F'N KIDDIN ME?! This is my 1st time running! So now I'm all WHOOOOO!!!! and just friggin givin 'er! doing the 10min mile pace. I'm nearly ready to start clapping for myself and cheering my self on as I past the 10 minute mark. For some reason "eye of the tiger" is playing in my head...dah, bah, bah, dahhh, bah, bah, dahh, dah, dah, daaaaaaah!

This is amazing! I feel so good! I'm already exhausted from doing the eliptical and interval box class, but i keep going. I bet I was actually smiling while i was running. I definitly know that I wasnt thinking about my arms, my belly or my *kitten*. I freaking ran 25 minutes non-stop! GO ME!

Needless to say, I immediatly texted my friend after ward. I havent been this excited about anything for a long time. I feel awesome and I`m telling you if it hadnt been for her and my awesome MFP friends, I probly would have never tried. But I did and I`m gonna do it again tomorrow!

Thanks for reading my horrifically spelled and gramatically incorrect tale fellow group members! lol! I look forward to reading yours too!

Replies

• kymillion
    kymillion Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    good job woman !
  • tdspears
    tdspears Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Awesome job! I need to give running a try myself.
  • stevielee28
    stevielee28 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Great job!! I never think of myself as a running type person, but lately I would love to give it a try!
  • berniemay
    berniemay Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Great job! You should be proud of yourself!
  • thetrishwarp
    thetrishwarp Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I used to be the same way! What an amazing accomplishment, great job :)
  • nmjellison
    nmjellison Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Nice work!! I just got into running myself (first half marathon in June!! eek!) I can't do a tread mill and when I do...I DEF don't do 10 minute miles!! Keep up the great work! So glad you had the courage to just go out there and do it!!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Excellent. Running is as much about mental stamina as it is physical, you realize that there's no turning back now......:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • MsP90X
    MsP90X Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    Loved this story of courage and determination... you go girl!!
  • DestinyDarbi
    DestinyDarbi Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    What an accomplishment!!! 25 minutes non stop!? I've always HATED running--I have always been athletic, but running just seemed so. freaking. boring. But after my son was born, I was like, what the heck, let's just do it. My first day (okay, let's be honest, my first WEEK) I could only run for 5 minutes at a time.

25 minutes without stopping is so awesome, keep it up! Next thing you know, you'll be lacing up for a marathon :wink:
  • mamamudbug
    mamamudbug Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: loved this... Congratulations!!
  • MsNewBooty83
    Options
    What an accomplishment!!! 25 minutes non stop!? I've always HATED running--I have always been athletic, but running just seemed so. freaking. boring. But after my son was born, I was like, what the heck, let's just do it. My first day (okay, let's be honest, my first WEEK) I could only run for 5 minutes at a time.

25 minutes without stopping is so awesome, keep it up! Next thing you know, you'll be lacing up for a marathon :wink:

thanks ") i was so chicken! lol....i already have really good cariovascular health. i have stamina, but i was just intimidated. i figured if i could do the elliptical like a crazy person for an hour, same pace, no rest, then i should be able to manage a small amount of running, but not 25 min my first go! lol. i think i can do better even, if i was fresher into my workout that is! lol
  • MsNewBooty83
    Options
    thank you to all of you so much, really!
  • cindyhoney2
    cindyhoney2 Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    You have such an inspirational story! Hats off to you my lady!
  • Dawners98
    Dawners98 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Work it! It's a really hard thing to get over that "head space" as I call it, but once you do, it's just fabulous. I started nearly a year ago (seriously, I'm 3 days short of that year) and even on the elliptical I was so paranoid and embarrassed. "Why is this fat girl trying to work out?" "Could she be breathing any harder?" "Is she gonna die or something?" It took awhile to realize that the only person saying that crap was me! Who knew?! One year and 75 pounds later, I kick that elliptical's *kitten* and own that gym! And I'm not done yet, either. I've got about 35 pounds left to go and I've got every intention of leaving them on that gym floor, too.

Never stop doing yourself right!
  • gcanter
    gcanter Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Awesome job! I used to run and it can be very addicting. It is a sure way to tone up and lose some pounds. Good for you stepping out of your comfort zone. You will be glad you did. Keep on running!
  • Sox90716
    Sox90716 Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Outstanding!
  • Ralphrabbit
    Ralphrabbit Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Never broken into a jog for fear it may be a joggle but will bear your story in mind as I get closer!!
  • etavi
    etavi Posts: 85
    Options
    Wow, definitely an inspiration. I'm the way you were. I DREAD running, and everything about it.
    Maybe one day I'll be able to run like that =)
  • Meliklotz
    Meliklotz Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    She is woman, hear her ROAR!!
    :)
  • Behavior_Modification
    Behavior_Modification Posts: 24,482 Member
    Options
    Awwwww, congrats on getting over your fear!!! :flowerforyou:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!