What to do when you can't strength train?

Options
carld256
carld256 Posts: 855 Member
I have a spinal injury in my neck due to a fall years ago. I'm under strict Doctor's order to avoid lifting anything. If I do try any sort of lifting I end up with a nauseous headache, even with small hand weights. Is there any sort of upper body work I might be able to do that won't put a strain on my neck? I actually used to have a start on abs and pecs before I got hurt. :ohwell:

Replies

• Moxie42
    Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Hm, that's tough. Can you do push-ups? Or, if you have a gym membership, what about machines where you can pull/push the weights on the machines that use pulley-systems so the movements are smooth and you're sitting so your back is supported? I have no idea if that puts strain on the neck so I apologize if I'm suggesting something bad, but I thought they might be alternatives to lifting?
  • impyimpyaj
    impyimpyaj Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    Talk to your doctor about this. Don't ask strangers on the internet. We don't know your specific injury, and you don't want to get hurt.
  • FatUncleRob
    FatUncleRob Posts: 341
    Options
    Talk to your doctor about this. Don't ask strangers on the internet. We don't know your specific injury, and you don't want to get hurt.

I agree! Sounds like you need advice from a trained medical professional.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    What are your goals? If it is to lose fat / be more defined......eat less. It starts in the kitchen. Sounds like you shouldn't be lifting.
  • Meliklotz
    Meliklotz Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    ^^
    THIS
  • Chris_acc_can
    Options
    Swimming
  • josavage
    josavage Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I agree with Chris - ask your doctor if you can swim. It's a great upper body workout and hopefully won't cause any kind of strain on your neck.
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options

I agree! Sounds like you need advice from a trained medical professional.

I agree with this. Yoga and/or pilates might be a good bet for you, but I'd definitely check with your doctor first.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    I agree with Chris - ask your doctor if you can swim. It's a great upper body workout and hopefully won't cause any kind of strain on your neck.

Just don't turn your head to breathe.
  • hrtoftx
    hrtoftx Posts: 32
    Options

Totally agree....we dont know what your specific issues are and we would be remiss in giving you ideas. Please speak to your doctor he/she will give you ideas on how you can work out.
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    u shuld ask one of those beachbody coches they no a lot and their r lots of them here
  • Deltafliers
    Deltafliers Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Ask you doctor about this one if you are interested. I like rowing machines; they are aerobic and anaerobic, which means they are cardio and strength at the same time. Rowing machines are considered low impact; AND proper form requires you to keep you back straight and aligned. If this does interest you go to you tube and look up proper form for rowing machines. It might also be fun for you to google "muscles worked with a rowing machine". Hope this is useful. :o)
  • carld256
    Options

Thanks, I did initially discuss it with my Dr., hence the no lifting, no workout order, all I'm allowed is walking. I'm looking for suggestions I can ask him about. I'm not about to start something without his okay. I like having a functional spinal cord.
  • carld256
    Options
    I'll ask him about swimming and rowing. I've tried doing a few wall pushups, which don't seem too bad. As for goals, I have to be realistic. I don't think I'll ever be muscular or defined, but not-saggy would be nice.