panera bread

Options
i heard panera bread is a healty place to eat. is this true ? if so, what are some healthy items from there

Replies

• fittocycle
    fittocycle Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    I think it's like any other restaurant in that you have to be careful in what you order. My favorites are the Asian sesame chicken salad and the strawberry poppyseed chicken salad. Panera has a great website that lets you customize your food choice. The website also lists protein, sodium, fat, carbs, etc. which is nice to know!:flowerforyou:
  • Pipsg1rl
    Pipsg1rl Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    they offer items like salmon and salads. they have some low cal soups, but don't do like my husband and order the Sandwich, the Side of Baguette, and have the soup in a bread bowl ;)

They offer a side of chips, apple, or baguette. I ask them to slice my apple. They offer fresh iced tea so you don't have to get a soda or mocha type drink.

We eat there often :)
  • mpizzle421
    mpizzle421 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Evaluate the nutritional info before going...

Their sandwiches can be extremely high in calories (and sodium) as well. I recall a few years back I assumed they were more healthy than the typical fast-food joint, until I saw that some of their sandwiches were 1000+ calories, and 1500-2000mg sodium.
  • LiddyBit
    LiddyBit Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Not, really, no. Fortunately the calories are right on the menu. Every time I go in there I end up just ordering coffee and leaving because the calories deter me from all their food.
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    I'd say most of their stuff is healthy, but quite a few items are high calorie. If you're interested in losing weight or need to control calories to maintain, check their Web site. They post the nutrition information including the numbers most people here like to track. The food there varies from things that fit into a lo-cal plan very well up to things that could blow your daily allotment in one meal. So, check out their online menu and see if the foods that sound good to you have the calories and other nutrition content you'd like.
    Good luck!
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    Most of their foods are already in the MFP database, so you'll want to do some research. Picking a few things at random:

"Panera Bread - Smoked Turkey Breast Sandwich on Whole Grain" A HALF-sandwich has 430 calories, a LOT of carbs, very little fat, and a whopping 1,600 mg of sodium. On the up side, what little fat it has is pretty good quality fat, and it's got a decent amount of iron.

Someone mentioned the "Asian Sesame Chicken Salad". That's a little better, but you've still got 800mg of sodium. The carbs are a lot lower, and the fat is a lot higher and has some good proteins to back it up, but it's got 450 calories (mostly good quality calories, but I wouldn't get anything on the side!), and you've still got a lot of sodium.

The other item mentioned, the strawberry poppyseed chicken salad, actually looks like a fairly healthy meal for fast food. 340 calories with some good fats, lots of protein, and 330 mg of sodium. Unfortunately, most of the carbs are sugars, and at 22g of sugar you're a good chunk through your daily allotment.

Look, it's fast food. Don't assume that just because something is a salad it's good for you, or just because something doesn't say low-fat it's bad for you. And always assume that everything has lots of salt, so drink plenty of water. Research the menu before you go, choose something that fits in your budget, enjoy, and if you visit there a lot start choosing some favorites you can live with.
  • Meaganandcheese
    Meaganandcheese Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    All of their nutrition is posted online, so you can easily see if they offer something that will fit within your dialy goals. I love their soups!
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    I have no problem ordering lunch at Panera and fitting it into my calorie/macro goals. Sodium is rough but that's true of virtually all restaurant/fast foods.

If I'm there, my typical order is the "you pick two" size Asian Sesame Chicken Salad and Frontega Chicken Sandwich. Totals: 630 cals, 55 carbs, 39 protein. I don't eat the side that they offer unless I'm in the mood for a mealy apple.
  • marirocks225
    marirocks225 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    thank you everyone !!:)
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I have no problem ordering lunch at Panera and fitting it into my calorie/macro goals. Sodium is rough but that's true of virtually all restaurant/fast foods.

If I'm there, my typical order is the "you pick two" size Asian Sesame Chicken Salad and Frontega Chicken Sandwich. Totals: 630 cals, 55 carbs, 39 protein. I don't eat the side that they offer unless I'm in the mood for a mealy apple.

That's exactly what I get as well.
  • xdaysbingefree
    xdaysbingefree Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    The panera in my town has the nutrition facts posted on the menu. Some things are obviously not that healthy (macaroni and cheese, the creamy soups, etc), but there are a still a lot of healthy options. My favorite is the greek salad :)
  • cmurray234
    cmurray234 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I really like Panera. They put calorie content right on the menu. There are a number of soups and salads that I eat in combination that are VERY tasty.

The only problem is that there is shortbread there that is to DIE for. :)
  • CoffeeNBooze
    CoffeeNBooze Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Just like anywhere else, look up the calorie and nutrition content before you go and decide from there :) Though I'd never call Panera a healthy place to eat! They are more about taste than health.
  • michellematteson
    Options
    Personally, it's the You Pick Two of the Chicken Cuban and half Classic Salad. If you stay with half a sandwich and the salad and a no calorie drink, it easy to stay below calorie goals and macros.
  • SweetSammie
    SweetSammie Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    You can go to the web site and build your meal before you go, which is awesome. I got a really good barbecue chicken salad last time I went, and from the web site, I knew that leaving off the tortilla strips saved a bunch of calories. I love eating there, because it is so low stress when it comes to calories.
  • danapenguin
    danapenguin Posts: 161
    Options
    i think its a great place! I always get half ham and swiss on rye, garden salad, and a apple with green tea. They also have their calories on the menu which makes choosing alot easier!
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I eat a chocolate pastry from Panera every Thursday. Maybe it's not 'healthy', but it fits within my calories and macros. Most of the stuff I like from Panera fits pretty easily into my goals - soups, salads, etc.
  • annahiven
    annahiven Posts: 185
    Options
    I eat there ALL the time. Almost every day in fact.

I mostly have the salmon salad or tuna salad sandwich without mayonnaise, and I have their soups (low cal but yes, high sodium). Sometimes I have the turkey sandwich, too.

You can make pretty much any sandwich healthy if you skip the cheese and mayo.
  • bakz4
    bakz4 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    As with any "fast food" restaurant, you have to be careful with what you order. Get salads with dressings on the side...hold the bready toppings...My fave is the Asian Sesame Chicken Salad...hold the wonton chips and dressing on the side. I always dip my fork in the dressing first, then into the salad. It's just enough dressing for me.

Use their website to help...You can make healthy choices, if you plan ahead.

PS I live in Suffolk County NY where fast food restaurants are required to post calories! It's a real eye-opener!!! When we went away this past weekend, I really missed it. I used my app to help make good choices!
  • mbajrami
    mbajrami Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    I agree with most everyone here that says it's pretty much like any fast food place. I find that the only time I end up under my sodium limit is if I make/pack my snacks and meals.