Weaker side when doing strength training?

Options
Yanicka1
Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
I am a lefty and my right side is weaker. I notice it more as my weights are going up.

My question is, should I leave compounds lifts for a month to do some dumbbells work?

Replies

• Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • ZombieSlayer
    ZombieSlayer Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Maybe do some of both.

Do your big compound lifts first. Finish with dumbbells for equalizing.

edit to add: I'm actually the opposite. I'm right handed but my right arm is still weaker. I think it comes from hauling the munchkin around on my left so I can do stuff with my right. I'm working on it.
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    I don't know the answer to this, but I have the same problem.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    I had some offside strength gains in the beginning, but it seems to be consistent between the sides now.

I'd like to know a more informed answer than mine also so I'll just read this one.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    To start lets look at the def of a compound lift.

"A compound lift is a component of a compound exercise.

COMPOUND EXERCISE
    A lift that stresses two or more bodyparts. For example, bench presses are a compound lift because they stress the chest (pectorals), shoulders (front deltoids) and upper arms (triceps)."

The two of these are not mutually exclusive. Doing dumbell press or dumbell overhead press etc. is still a compound lift. I would definitely add them in. I lift 3 days a week......at least one of those I use dumbells where possible. What is your current split like.......If each body part 1x a week I would suggest alternating......barbell one week, dumbell the next etc.
  • tigerblood78
    tigerblood78 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I find mixing in dumbell work helps. Also if you can, while you're lifting, concentrate on using the weaker side. The whole brain-to-muscle coordination thing.
  • kensky
    kensky Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I wish I had some text to site but I swear I read that your weaker side will catch up with dumbbell training. Wish I could be smarter about my info. share! :/
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    So, my left knee used to really drop when I started lifting, specifically during squats. My coach gave me other exercises to do in addition to the heavy lifting to specifically strengthen those muscles. All body weight and low weight exercises, which may not be appropriate for your situation. My point is, possibly finding some extra credit, no-so-heavy exercises to strengthen your weak side might do the trick. I wouldn't stop lifting heavy waiting for the weak side to catch up. I would just ask it to work a little harder.

I'm sure there is someone who knows more than I do, this is just what I did. It really helped.

Also, I use dumbbells all the time for compound lifts. Use heavy ones, whatever that means for you.

:heart:
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    Yeah I have no scientific evidence, but I know from personal experience that when I use a barbell I rely on my stronger side, but with dumbbells you obviously can't. I did stage 1 NROL4W with barbells, and felt uneven. I finished stage one then got lazy, but now I'm starting over in stage 1 and using almost exclusively dumbbells. I'm finding that the uneveness seems to be going away.
  • EgyptianMushroom
    EgyptianMushroom Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way but right hand dominent. My biceps on my left arm are smaller than my right. :grumble:
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,973 Member
    Options
    Yanicka, NROL4W has compound moves that are using only single legs, etc. (i.e. one-side of your body at a time). So, you might want to revisit the DB one-legged Romanian dead-lifts, one-legged partial squats, step-ups, etc. That should help with making sure you are strengthening the weaker side of your body (because it has to do the work when you are using your non-dominant side).

Just a thought!
  • Jipples
    Jipples Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I am also a lefty....I do a lot of dumbbell work. But as I'm sure you already know, it's normal to be stronger on the side you primarily use in daily life.
  • Meg_78
    Meg_78 Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    My left side in general is weaker, it just doesn't quite keep up, but that's why I prefer to use free weights esp dumbbells, it means that my right side doesn't help left out at all, so lefty has to work harder. esp for arms and shoulders. With legs, I agree with Beeps, have a go at the one legged exercises with weights, Bulgarian Split Squat is another goodie!.
  • dandelion39
    dandelion39 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    This is a problem I struggle with, too. I'm very right-hand dominant and my left arm (shoulder in particular) are a lot weaker than my right. Oddly (or perhaps not oddly--maybe because I'm working my right side harder in everything?) my right hip and thigh are really sore/tight all the time now that I'm lifting. And I'm not sure how to handle any of this. So I just keep on with New Rules, and keep on stretching, and hope it will all just even out.
  • love22step
    love22step Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    I was fairly even until I had a pneumonia vaccine in the muscle of my left arm on Feb 2nd. It's getting better, but it still hurts and affects my weight lifting. I only use dumbbells and do pushups, so I've come down a bit with my weights to try to help the left arm catch up again.
  • laurarpa
    laurarpa Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    My trainer definitely recommended swapping in some dumbbell work in place of some barbells for just that reason. She wisely suggested that I'd have to go down in total weight. So for instance I could do 55lb barbell for front squat-push press but 22.5lb dumbbells were pushing it. And it's not just because one aide is weaker (though one side is).

I'm right handed, and generally stronger on the right, with the exception of my shoulder which was messed up a few years ago (from computer work/bad mouse habits if you can believe it). I definitely notice it in press moves.
  • beezbee
    beezbee Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I have a weaker side - I guess most of us do. What I learned in physical therapy after recovering from ACL surgery is that you work on the weaker side until it catches up with the stronger side, then continue with both sides. As someone else mentioned, it's easier to "cheat" with the barbell and with machines, so I use dumbbells whenever possible. And I really try to pay attention to symmetry. Yes, brainpower works ;-)
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    I have a "frozen" left shoulder - so I have restricted movement in my left shoulder - which is noticeable when I do any lifts / pushes / pulls to or above my head....

But something really interesting - when I do dumbell bench presses , or barbell bench work my right shoulder gives out before my left one .....

We (me and my trainer) do a combination of dumbell type stuff and barbell work - not just one or the other - they each have a purpose....
  • laurarpa
    laurarpa Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I have a "frozen" left shoulder - so I have restricted movement in my left shoulder - which is noticeable when I do any lifts / pushes / pulls to or above my head....

But something really interesting - when I do dumbell bench presses , or barbell bench work my right shoulder gives out before my left one .....

We (me and my trainer) do a combination of dumbell type stuff and barbell work - not just one or the other - they each have a purpose....

My right shoulder was "partially frozen" - totally fine now. I couldn't place my arm against the wall if I was standing with it upright. Some rather aggressive chiro and massage got me to 90% in about 6 weeks. Took longer to get the last 10% but that shoulder still "moves" a little differently and is definitely my weaker side.

When you do benches, you are engaging pecs (more pec /less shoulder the less of an incline). Standing it's shoulder work. Interesting that your right side gives out sooner doing benches though.