Doesn't this sound like diabetes?

Options
So, this is something that I have that is very good, but I worry it may be TOO good.

It's basically vanilla greek yogurt, a whey protein powder, peanut butter and almonds mixed together.

And then I drink milk with it.

Who needs chocolate?

Replies

• spngebobmyhero
    spngebobmyhero Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    sounds tasty, wish I could eat almonds. are you worried about the sugar? Was a little confused by your title. If so, I would switch the vanilla yogurt for plain since your protein powder is probably flavored :)
  • SGRhapsodos
    SGRhapsodos Posts: 47
    Options
    I eat that for breakfast everyday.
  • JonathonMars
    JonathonMars Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I meant, "Doesn't this sound like diabetes?" to signify the high possibility of me contracting diabetes from eating this--or perhaps, the extreme way in which this meal resembles something that would trigger a diabetic coma, à la the scent of a Waffle House.
  • JonathonMars
    Options

Oh, well if you eat it for breakfast everyday and look like that, I should be good then! Right? Right?
  • spngebobmyhero
    spngebobmyhero Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I meant, "Doesn't this sound like diabetes?" to signify the high possibility of me contracting diabetes from eating this--or perhaps, the extreme way in which this meal resembles something that would trigger a diabetic coma, à la the scent of a Waffle House.

haha okay, well maybe just don't eat it every day. does it keep you full?
  • JonathonMars
    Options
    Honestly, I eat quite a bit--I very rarely feel hungry at all. The hardest thing lately for me as far as food goes is the motivation to get up and prepare it!
  • marm1962
    marm1962 Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    FYI.....eating sugar or sugary foods does not CAUSE diabetes.
  • JonathonMars
    Options
    Yeah, I think I knew that.
  • alli_baba
    alli_baba Posts: 232 Member
    Options

Who needs chocolate?

I do.

My standard "breakfast" (I do IF, so breakfast doesn't typically happen 'til around noon), is:

- Greek yogurt
    - Chocolate protein powder
    - Peanut Butter & Co's "Dark Chocolate Dreams" (dark chocolate peanut butter)
    - Reese's puffs
    - Chocolate chips

All mixed together. Yum. (And no diabetes here :-)
  • SGRhapsodos
    SGRhapsodos Posts: 47
    Options

Oh, well if you eat it for breakfast everyday and look like that, I should be good then! Right? Right?

You should except I just read the part about 'vanilla' Greek yogurt, which is probably sweetened. What I do is that I add the vanilla protein powder to the yogurt (it's sweetened with stevia so it's sugar free) and it makes the yogurt taste delish! Or just sometimes I eat it just like that with lots of fruits, nuts, and seeds. I don't need to sweeten the yogurt most of the times.
  • nanandbai
    nanandbai Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Ohhh, that's a dangerous comment to people who are Diabetic. An overabundance of sugar and sugary food can and most likely will bring on Diabetes. your pancreas slows down and doesn't pump insulin properly. Adding more sugar to this insulin-yes-makes a diabetic! Are you saying that as a diabetic, I don't have to cut down on sugar? rediculous. This is a dangerous thing to say on this forum! Insulin (sugar) levels need to stay low and pumping sugar in won't keep them there. Please Diabetics...please realize this!
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Ohhh, that's a dangerous comment to people who are Diabetic. An overabundance of sugar and sugary food can and most likely will bring on Diabetes. your pancreas slows down and doesn't pump insulin properly. Adding more sugar to this insulin-yes-makes a diabetic! Are you saying that as a diabetic, I don't have to cut down on sugar? rediculous. This is a dangerous thing to say on this forum! Insulin (sugar) levels need to stay low and pumping sugar in won't keep them there. Please Diabetics...please realize this!

*sigh*

Eating sugar and sugary foods does NOT cause diabetes (http://www.diabetes.org/diabetes-basics/diabetes-myths/ - Myth #3). No one is suggesting that people with diabetes not watch their sugar/carb intake.

My husband recently developed type 2 diabetes. He does not like sugary foods (I do). He is not overweight. He is not sedentary. His father has type 2 diabetes. His sister has type 2 diabetes. In his case, in all likelihood, genetics are the biggest factor.
  • nanandbai
    Options
    Maybe genetics paid a big play and maybe not...never proven. What is proven is that an overabundance of sugar and food (carbs) that turns to sugar most likely will bring on Diabetes...in a year, 5 years, 25 years...everyone is different! But yes, an overabundance of many things can and probably will cause issues over time. Sugar is one and it's killer is diabetes.
  • nanandbai
    Options
    I cut and pasted this address...came up that it doesn't exist. Also, because your husband, one person contracted it another way doesn't mean that no one can get it from overdosing on sugar.
  • Spanaval
    Options
    I'm using people in my life to illustrate my point. Not sure why that link isn't working for you. Here it is again.

http://www.diabetes.org/diabetes-basics/diabetes-myths/

Here is a small excerpt:

Myth: Eating too much sugar causes diabetes. 

Fact: No, it does not. Type 1 diabetes is caused by genetics and unknown factors that trigger the onset of the disease; type 2 diabetes is caused by genetics and lifestyle factors. Being overweight does increase your risk for developing type 2 diabetes, and a diet high in calories, whether from sugar or from fat, can contribute to weight gain. If you have a history of diabetes in your family, eating a healthy meal plan and regular exercise are recommended to manage your weight.

Myth: People with diabetes should eat special diabetic foods.

Fact: A healthy meal plan for people with diabetes is generally the same as a healthy diet for anyone – low in fat (especially saturated and trans fat), moderate in salt and sugar, with meals based on whole grain foods, vegetables and fruit. Diabetic and “dietetic” foods generally offer no special benefit. Most of them still raise blood glucose levels, are usually more expensive, and can also have a laxative effect if they contain sugar alcohols.

Myth: If you have diabetes, you should only eat small amounts of starchy foods, such as bread, potatoes and pasta. 

Fact: Starchy foods are part of a healthy meal plan. What is important is the portion size. Whole grain breads, cereals, pasta, rice and starchy vegetables like potatoes, yams, peas and corn can be included in your meals and snacks. The key is portions. For most people with diabetes, having 3-4 servings of carbohydrate-containing foods per meal is about right. Whole grain starchy foods are also a good source of fiber, which helps keep your gut healthy.

Myth: People with diabetes can't eat sweets or chocolate.

Fact: If eaten as part of a healthy meal plan, or combined with exercise, sweets and desserts can be eaten by people with diabetes. They are no more “off limits” to people with diabetes than they are to people without diabetes.
  • MeMyCatsandI
    MeMyCatsandI Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    So, this is something that I have that is very good, but I worry it may be TOO good.

It's basically vanilla greek yogurt, a whey protein powder, peanut butter and almonds mixed together.

And then I drink milk with it.

Who needs chocolate?

The other day I was low on protein so I mixed 2 (yes 2) scoops of coffee flavored whey protein powder into my vanilla Greek yogurt. It was so thick and yummy it actually hit my sweet tooth. (I should mention that I'm the type of person who eats frosting with a spoon. Well... I used to.) It was awesome! But I'd still take some chocolate.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Why is that a dangerous comment to a diabetic? Nobody said sugar is great for diabetics. You already HAVE diabetes. Sugar isn't going to CAUSE it when you already HAVE IT.
  • nanandbai
    Options
    I understand that you found this article and I have found many that boast the opposite. This is why we must not put all or most of our beliefs in something like this, but in professionals who research, study and live it.

If I go out and have ice cream, my sugar goes way up...my cousins doesn't. I have Type II Diabetes. I wasn't overweight when it was found, but I ate a lot of sugar. If I eat a lot of carbs, my sugar goes up. My sisters doesn't. She isn't Diabetic, so when carbs turn to sugar for her, her pancreas isn't affected as mine is.

I can eat sweets. I can eat and should eat starches. I can and should eat carbs. I have to be careful however as, due to my Diabetes, even too much natural sugar can cause my sugar levels to spike. This is because I am Diabetic. If I eat as much as others who don't have this disease, I will AND HAVE had issues.

So, respectfully, please don't tell me that I can eat whatever I choose...I can't. I had a banana and chocolate protein powder smoothie today. I was able to, as the mix was low sugar. I don't eat a lot of yogurt as, even though light, sugars are 18+ grams of sugar. If I eat them regularly, my sugar spikes. If I go too long not eating right, my sugars cause issues. No coinsidence.

No one in my family has had Diabetes...that we know of. Sugar caused my issue. I was a huge sugar eater. When I eat it, my sugar is high. When I don't, my hemaglobin A1C count drops and I do well.

There are many things we can eat, but if we overdo, it will make us sick. sugar will cause Diabetes if abused...and what constitutes abuse is different for all. No matter what...sugar, alcohol, artificial colors...if we put an abundance of it in our bodies for years, we will have problems.

It is dangerous to tell people who are trying to give up abusing sugar that sugar won't cause problems it is causing. I refuse to live in a dream world. If I have peanut butter cups, my sugar will rise...I can put 10 articles up against your one. I don't need to...it makes no sense to tell me that what I am experiencing doesn't happen. Please be careful...you could harm people with those words.
  • Spanaval
    Options
    The excerpt I posted is from the American Diabetes Association.

Here is another one addressing the same question: http://diabetes.webmd.com/video/kahn-eating-sugar-cause-diabetes. You might find his credentials interesting. Bottom line is that there is no credible scientific evidence that shows a causal link between sugaar consumption and diabetes. I would love to see any credible scientific links you might have to the contrary.

Which is not to say that someone that has already developed the disease should not manage their diets carefully.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    Another interesting point about diabetes... I had gestational diabetes in both my pregnancies and, thus, met with the diabetes clinic at my local hospital and was monitored by an Endocrinologist. Some people who already monitor their blood sugar believe that if their blood sugar is a little high it's okay because they just ate something super sweet. That's not true. If you are not diabetic or insulin resistant, you should be able to eat an entire chocolate cake and have your blood sugar remain normal. That's what natural insulin is created for... to take care of the blood sugar before it becomes a problem. If you're getting high readings you're likely already diabetic.