how to make fish?

Options

Replies

• Emily_Katherine
    Options
    Up to the past year or so I was not a big fish person, but after some practice and trial and error I love how fast, easy and healthy it is.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    I don't really like it either, but would like to make more since it's so low-cal.

I did see on Rachael Ray I think, that if you slice up a lemon and put it under and over the fish while cooking it (if you put it in the oven) it will suppress the fishy smell a lot.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,527 Member
    Options
    Meh, just eat sushi.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,359 Member
    Options
    Morey's Wild Salmon. Individually packed. Already marinated. Just take out of the plastic wrap, and bake for 30 min!! Wal-LA!! It's delicious!!
  • martinierin84
    Options
    Tuna Burgers:

3 cans of tuna
    3 tbsp light mayo
    3 eggs
    1/2 cup breadcrumbs
    green onion
    red pepper
    feta cheese
    salt/pepper

Mix all the ingredients and form into patties. Cook in non stick skillet on medium-low each side 3-5 mins. SO GOOD! :-)
  • ccmandel
    ccmandel Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    My favorite is arctic char....I put 2 T of agave on it...then cook on grill pan...cooks fast and has a sweet flavor with nice grill marks.

Haddock is good too:
    Add 1/4T unsalted butter, 1/2 squeezed lemn. Cover with 3 ritz crackers...add 1/4 T butter...bake 15 minutes...yum!

Fresh fish shouldn't have a smell.
  • thilyer
    thilyer Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I love tilapia and salmon. Tilapia is a very mild fish. I usually brush 1 tsp of olive oil on and then season, and grill it on top of stove in my grill pan.
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    Tuna steaks!! Doesn't taste or smell "fishy" to me (nothing like canned tuna) and you just smack it under the grill or oven bake it. Idiot-proof, super tasty, really meaty.
  • femmi1120
    femmi1120 Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I just had fish for dinner tonight!!!

At my house, the most popular ones are salmon and tilapia. I usually season my salmon with garlic butter and dill or just garlic and olive oil and bake it.

If you're new to making salmon, I'd say a great option is the Sam's club brand blackened salmon (in the frozen section). All you have to do is bake it and it is phenomenal! That is, assuming you have a Sam's club nearby.

Tonight, I had tilapia. I just panfried it in a little bit of coconut oil and sprinkled some salt, curry, and tumeric. It was really easy to make and tasted amazing!!!

Enjoy!
  • toysbigkid
    toysbigkid Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    bumping
  • karmah2771
    karmah2771 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    We buy Tilapia. My husband cooks it in the oven. Just sprinkles some spice mixture on it (Mrs. Dash or a McCormick blend or something of that sort) whatever he's in the mood for and bakes it. Our house does not smell like fish and it doesn't need more than a light spritz of oil to keep it from sticking to the sheet pan. After it's done cooking you can squeeze some fresh lemon over the top.
  • wonderwomanwannaB
    Options
    perch and trout are my favs.
    soak in milk for 20-30 minutes. dredge through bread crumbs or crushed cereal, 500 degrees 12 minutes in oven.

If you are going for the Omega3s, which I'm guessing since you said the 2-3 days a week thing, you aren't going to get that from the white fish. Salmon is the way to go. Omega 3's can be gotten from other sources like flax seeds, too.
  • _Schatzi_
    _Schatzi_ Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I just learned to make fish and have an easy way to do it.

This is really fast, and really delicious. The juices are marvelous over rice or couscous.

I buy Hake (rhymes with 'cake') at whole foods. It's the cheapest fish they have (~6.99/lb), very good, and when it's fresh it doesn't smell. Not once has my kitchen smelt like fish. Cook the same day!

On a large sheet of parchment, lay your fillet. In a small bowl mix up a little olive oil, lemon juice, and white wine if you have it. You won't need more than a cup of liquid. Use a brush or spoon to drizzle over the fish.

Slice a lemon and a shallot and layer over the fish.

Wrap in the parchment paper (long sides together, roll down best you can and tuck ends underneath)

Bake in the oven at 400-450 for about 17-20 minutes, depending on how thick your fillet is. Fish is done when it flakes easily with a fork.
  • Diary_Queen
    Diary_Queen Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    We soak fish in milk to help take out the fishy taste.

MILK DOES A FISHY GOOD: If you prefer your fish to be mild and as non-fishy as possible, soak it in milk for at least 1/2 hour. The milk removes most of the fishy taste and helps frozen and re-thawed fish to taste fresher. Consider placing frozen fish in a sealed container with milk (alone or with seasonings) to soak and thaw in the refrigerator overnight. The fish should be rinsed before soaking in the milk, as it is best to take the fish straight out of the milk and prepare it for cooking without re-rinsing. However, fish rinsed after soaking in milk will still be slightly milder and fresher tasting than fish that has not been soaked in milk.
  • sk2775
    sk2775 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    Salmon and Tilapia are my favorites. As you are starting out, keep it simple. Bake or pan fry with little bit of oil and spices.
  • ayoubm3949
    ayoubm3949 Posts: 81
    Options
    I always get the high liner tilapia fillets:) I put veggies on top of it (red/green peppers and mushrooms) and some olive oil and then I pop it in the oven for about 20 mins. When I remove it, I put some lemon on it and eat it with a salad.. yummy and filling!
  • kradtke124
    kradtke124 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to add for the OP, some of the fish mentioned in this thread (particularly Tuna and Swordfish) are high in mercury. If you're planning on having children and especially if you trying to conceive or pregnant, check on the mercury levels of the fish before you buy.
  • polly2play
    polly2play Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    THANKS for sharing all these great fish receipes.....really appreciate it.:smile:
  • olivia327
    olivia327 Posts: 4
    Options
    Looking for the recipes of grilling salmon ? Its easy and simply to do .. you can cook your grill salmon in 10 minutes ! To do your recipes, read the instruction only here at http://howtocooksalmon.korocook.com/2010/07/how-to-salmon-stove.html enjoy !
  • photorific
    photorific Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Orange roughy, halibut and cod are also not very fishy. They work well in picatta-style recipes, or in parchment with onions and asparagus/other veggies. Salmon is surprisingly good on the grill with a light coating of bbq sauce.