Weight loss & stress on my body (eyes)

Options
Never had a problem w/ my eyes till I lost 27 lbs... Then one day last week I couldn't read or see far away cause of blurry.... I went to the eye dr. & told him the same.. never had problems b4 till I lost 27 lbs.. he then asked me if I was taking anything to help w/ the weight loss, I told him NO, I was doing it the healthly way.. Eat less & burn more... He said it was MOST LIKELY due to my body being stressed out due to the weight loss... New one to me! He also suggest that I eat MORE!! EWWWW.. So I thought what could it hurt.. I have been eating 1500 & not losing (over a month).. So moving it up to a little over 1800 couldn't hurt... Has anyone had this happen or know someone that it did? Thanks

Replies

• georgia98_98
    georgia98_98 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    anyone?:ohwell:
  • Zeromilediet
    Zeromilediet Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Cod liver oil
    liver
    Both very high in vitamin a
    Vast quantities of synthetic vit a are toxic, but food based source is fine
  • SunnyAndrsn
    SunnyAndrsn Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    There is also a vitamin specifically for eye health, called Eye-Vit (I think).

Check with your doctor to make sure there are no contraindications to this before trying it.
  • 123Linz
    123Linz Posts: 80
    Options
    I really don't have anything to offer here, other than what may be obvious,

Have you had your blood sugar checked for diabetes? I know that can affect eye sight. I know that wouldn't make sense when losing weight, but still worth checking into.
  • toysbigkid
    toysbigkid Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    how do you know it's a weight related problem? I'm just curious
  • grubb1019
    grubb1019 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of this. I think I would go to my general doctor and talk to him. I would get a second opinion just to be safe.
  • georgia98_98
    Options

Have you had your blood sugar checked for diabetes? I know that can affect eye sight. I know that wouldn't make sense when losing weight, but still worth checking into.

Both r fine... I now have eye glasses which suck, lol!!
  • georgia98_98
    Options
    how do you know it's a weight related problem? I'm just curious

He said since I never had a problem till now, after losing the weight & being @ a stall... But like I posted he said MOST LIKELY.. Cant say for sure... But then again I am getting older, lol (31 this yr.)
  • georgia98_98
    Options
    I've never heard of this. I think I would go to my general doctor and talk to him. I would get a second opinion just to be safe.

Spoke w/ her & she agreed that I wasn't eating enough for my weight & height.. arggg ... IDK.. Thanks!!!
  • chrisc16
    chrisc16 Posts: 94
    Options
    Eyesight generally gets worse as we age.
  • sk2775
    sk2775 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    The opposite actually happened to me. During the last year, my eye prescription in both eyes have gone done. My doctor things this is b/c due to my increase intake of vegetables and fruits in my diet along with workout daily.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options

This would be my thought too. I'd go get your A1C levels and blood sugar checked to be sure.

EDIT: Sorry I missed your reply. Make sure they check your a1c levels as well as your blood sugar.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    Cod liver oil
    liver
    Having had a friend who DIED from a vitamin A overdose from eating bear liver, I beg to disagree ...
  • Zeromilediet
    Zeromilediet Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Cod liver oil
    liver
    Having had a friend who DIED from a vitamin A overdose from eating bear liver, I beg to disagree ...

The liver of certain animals is KNOWN to be toxic including bear, walrus, seal ... sadly your friend showed poor judgment. Acknowledging your warning then, amend my comment to recommend OP not eat bear liver.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Cod liver oil
    liver

The liver of certain animals is KNOWN to be toxic including bear, walrus, seal ... sadly your friend showed poor judgment. Acknowledging your warning then, amend my comment to recommend OP not eat bear liver.

It's not really the liver itself that is toxic, but the toxically high levels of Vitamin A contained in their livers.

Naturally sourced or not, too much Vitamin A is toxic, period.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vitamin_A#Toxicity
  • VMarkV
    VMarkV Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    What's your BP? Could be peripheral neuropathy, diabetics are at higher risk for this
  • MAC35
    MAC35 Posts: 1
    Options
    Agreed! Too much vitamin A is bad for you...
  • georgia98_98
    Options
    What's your BP? Could be peripheral neuropathy, diabetics are at higher risk for this

Last week it was 122/76...
  • VMarkV
    VMarkV Posts: 522 Member
    Options

Last week it was 122/76...
    That's pretty normal