Does weight lifting burn calories?

Options
When I logged the weights I lifted today into my exercise tracker, it didn't give me any calories burned... Weight lifting burns calories, right? I used a search engine and the results were vague.

Replies

• x12jenar13x
    x12jenar13x Posts: 15
    Options
    Weight lifting burns calorie. Also, the afterbun on weight lifting last a little longer than cardio. It's always nice combining both. Do weight lifting then cardio after. If you need some advice just message me.
  • imbanter
    imbanter Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Yes lifting burns calories. I've noticed that too with MFPs log and I'm not sure why they would have calories burned for cleaning the house but not for lifting weights. PLUS any muscle that you build will burn even more calories even when you are at rest.
  • Klamber26
    Klamber26 Posts: 212
    Options
    Log weight-lifting under 'cardiovascular' and the calories burned will show. Then use the weight-training section to keep track of the weights and reps you are using.
  • MonkeyFlower
    MonkeyFlower Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    you can add strength training under Cardio exercise to get MFP to give you some cals...not many though unfortunetly! i always wear my HRM doing the weights to get a more acurate number :happy:
  • finallyFIT_ForMe
    Options
    If you log it under weight training it wont calculate any calories burned for you. You will need to log in under cardio as strength training....I know it makes no sense but that is how it works. Good luck!
  • row_rivers
    row_rivers Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    yes it does! not as much as cardio (immediately anyway). get a heart rate monitor and wear it while you weight train, then you can have a somewhat accurate number as to how many cals you burn.
  • x12jenar13x
    x12jenar13x Posts: 15
    Options
    and the reason why is because it takes calories and energy just to maintain muscles. You are pretty much a burning calorie machine.