Knee pain

Options
I recently started doing intervals and now I suffer from a burning in my knee when I'm done. Wondering if anyone has any advice on how to deal with it?

Replies

• rocklguz9
    rocklguz9 Posts: 18
    Options
    Hi Della!!! Not sure if your pain is the same as my pain but...I started drinking those emergen-c (tangerine flavor) for joint health and I tell you what....it has helped. The ingredients in it (hypo-something) helps with the fluid in ur knees. Try it out :)
  • ExplorinLauren
    ExplorinLauren Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    bump
  • dellashanks
    dellashanks Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Awesome! I will give it a try. I really hate that burning in my knees but i want to get better a running. Thank You!!!!
  • danni_l
    danni_l Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Hi Della,

It depends on where the pain is, it could be an injury rather than joint issues.

Although if youve only just started up the training, as Rocklguz9 said it could just be joint pain as your body gets used to it.

If you keep getting this pain, I would suggest you get to a physio before you do yourself any further damage.

Danni :)
  • dellashanks
    Options
    Thanks Dani,
    I am new to running I'm just gonna see where it takes me. No pain no gain???? I actually hate to run but I think I have to add it in for health! I will surely pay attention to pain and hopefully not need to see a Doc. LOL not my fave place.
  • mgs68pony
    mgs68pony Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I started having knee pain also from the interval training. I now have a knee brace to wear. Knee pain stinks!
    198601 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I just started having knee pain too so you are not alone! I was told by the doc to get a knee brace and see if that helps... going to get one tomorrow and hopefully that helps! good luck!
  • hbm616
    hbm616 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    My sister's ankles pronate (her feet turn in so she walks on her arches) and if she goes a few days without wearing her supportive new balance walking sneakers, or does a lot of walking in a pair of flats or TOMS she ends up with knee pain. If she wears her NB sneakers she doesn't have any pain. It may be something to look into!
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Options
    No pain no gain????

*TWITCH* *TWITCH* *TWITCH*

As a sufferer of a chronic knee injury that was taken lightly at first, I jump on these knee pain threads because knee pain should NOT be taken lightly. Ice, rest for a couple days, and if you're still having pain PLEASE see a doctor!

There are soooooooooo many things it could be, and you will get 10 million different answers on this thread alone.
  • cartoonsrcool
    Options
    I blew out my knee playing basketball a number of years back. I use Osteo Bi-Flex and it works wonders. It increases joint lubrication.
  • duncanryan
    duncanryan Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Interesting that it's a burning sensation in your knee. I'm a physical therapist and that is not the most common complaint after physical activity. I would try ice and maybe lay off the running for a few days just to see if you can calm it down. If it persists, I would get a prescription from your physician to see a physical therapist.
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Options
    Interesting that it's a burning sensation in your knee. I'm a physical therapist and that is not the most common complaint after physical activity.

mine tend to burn and stab, but with my injury (patellar subluxation/dislocation), that's pretty common
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Be sure you have the right shoes for your body. If you can, go get fitted at a running store. I can't emphasize this enough (I'm the product of ill fitting shoes).

Youtube some good stretches for knee pain. And make sure your hips are loose. I have to do a series of hip stretches before I run, or else my knees ache like crazy.
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    pick up a patella tendon strap and wear it when you work out. It'll hold the tendon in place and keep everything stable. Also, take some advil a few minutes before you work out.. and ice after. It's a pain-but it will make you feel a lot better.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    I would stop doing whatever is causing the pain and see an orthopedist. A knee injury can be very serious and sideline you for months.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    pick up a patella tendon strap and wear it when you work out. It'll hold the tendon in place and keep everything stable. Also, take some advil a few minutes before you work out.. and ice after. It's a pain-but it will make you feel a lot better.
    I have a big honking knee brace, which I do NOT like to run in. Is the patella strap more comfortable?
  • samb330
    samb330 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Knee brace! I was having horrible knee pain, then it got to the point where I could barely walk. My doc took x-rays, nothing serious. Anyway, I wore my brace for 2 days and almost all the pain is gone. I'm also doing PT, but I have a feeling this is probably going to be my last week of it!!! Good luck!
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options

I've had two such straps over the course of 30 years of exercising. They were fitted to my knee by an orthopedist. I also was sent to physical therapy to build up the muscles around the joint to stabilize my knee so I wouldn't need the strap. If you use supports without addressing the underlying problem you can end up weakening your knee.

Advil is a good idea, although I try to take anti-inflammatories as little as possible. They can end up doing a number on your system. Ice is a good suggestion, too. Never apply it directly and don't keep it on for more than 20 minutes without taking a break.

The TENS (transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation) machines used by physical therapists also help.
  • dellashanks
    Options
    Thanks all! I am going to look in to a knee brace. I will continue to monitor and see how it feels. I don't have constant pain so I don't really think its an injury. My guess would be that I'm 55 pounds over weight and run. I am also gonna get some of the osteo supplements. I'm pretty sure I don't have alot of cartalige left in my knees. I have always been able to feel them grind( for lack of a better word) when I move.
  • gos81238ia
    gos81238ia Posts: 1
    Options
    During your exercises its very important to protect your knees and other joints. 2 suggestions:

1) before you work out, do some knee circles to warm up the joint --> do a little squat, put your hands on your thighs and then rotate your knees in a few circles in both directions
    2) during your work out, it is very important that you NEVER have your knee bent over your ankle. Your shin and foot should always be making a 90 degree angle, never your knee out over your ankle. When you're bending over, stick your bum out to the back instead of pushing your knees forward

Use a knee brace for a while and by all means, go see a doctor to make sure there is no damage already!