Need help figuring out accurate calories per day

Options
I started dieting 5 weeks ago and have been on MFP for nearly 4 weeks. Unfortunately, I never tracked how much I ate per day to maintain the weight I was at prior to dieting, nor would I be willing to do that again. Online calculators have estimated that I need anywhere from 1400 to 1800 calories per day. MFP has me at 1650, set for sedentary life-style, then I log whatever exercise I do.

Theoretically, eating 1200 calories per day and eating back only half of my exercise calories should result in a 1 pound loss per week. But not only have I not lost any weight in the past 4 weeks, I feel very weak and dizzy from only eating 1200-1300 calories per day.

I'm very small, so before everyone tells me that I need to eat more, just know that my body really should not require that many calories. *BUT*- If any petite women have had similar problems, and eating more really did help I would love to know how many calories you added and if there was an improvement in your energy levels and mood as well.

Conversely, if anyone had to dip below the magical '1200 cals a day' to see results, just how much lower did you go?

I know the number on the scale doesn't really matter, but I would very much like to lose 5-10 more pounds.

Replies

• becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options
    What is your height, weight, age, and accurate activity level (ie amount of exercise you do)?
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I don't know how tall you are, but there are A LOT of women in the 5'2-5'5" range who regularly consume over 2000 NET calories a day.

Feeling week and dizzy is your body's way of telling you 'HEY! We aren't getting the proper nutrition'. Don't ignore it. And don't let anyone tell you "Oh, it'll go away". You shouldn't feel weak or dizzy while losing weight. A very low calorie "diet" is a recipe for failure. You need to figure out what works best for you and what is long term sustainable for you.

I'm 5'3.5" and weigh around 145-150lbs. I easily lose weight in the 2100-2200 NET calorie range. I easily maintain in the 2300-2500 NET calorie range.
  • Klamber26
    Klamber26 Posts: 212
    Options
    What is your height, weight, age, and accurate activity level (ie amount of exercise you do)?

I'm 5'3.5", 115lbs, 21 years old. Don't do much during the day except go to class and clean some, but I weight-train 4 times per week and do 30 min elliptical programs about every other day.
  • secretgirl4611
    secretgirl4611 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    DONT EAT LOWER THAN 1200 EVER!
    Um, also yea LISTEN to ur body! It is telling you, it wants to eat more...
    Ok, and your body doesnt care that you have a small frame or are smaller you know.. Workout your BMR and never eat below that
    Then yea basically 1600-1800 may seeeeem like alot at first and it will be but after a wk or 2 of doin it, your body will thank you and it will begin to lose weight again.. as it feels safe and you wont be starving it...

I started at 1200 then working out yea it wasnt enough

Look at it this way if you eat even 1400 per day then you minus the 500 to lose one pound per wk
    YOU ARE STILL ONLY EATING 900 calories per day! that is WHY YOUR BODY IS SAYIN: HEY IM HUNGRY!
    so yea, but once you do eat more you will finally start to lose weight... for sure I mean I didnt think so about 2wks ago.. and now Im doin it and its working :)
    Im small, im short and I only have 10 more pounds to lose and I only started out with 20 pounds to actually lose so yea..

IT WORKS :) If not, then KEEP DOIN WHAT UR DOIN, AND ITS "NOT" GONNA WORK FOR U, IT WILL ONLY WORK AGAINST YOU!

Also, my diary is open.. I NO, longer eat things I hate, I no longer eat on a so called DIET, I eat healthy and I also eat things I love.. moderation is key! if you break it up your calories thru out ur day it will only get easier..
    :)
  • becoming_a_new_me
    Options

I'm 5'3.5", 115lbs, 21 years old. Don't do much during the day except go to class and clean some, but I weight-train 4 times per week and do 30 min elliptical programs about every other day.

With your activity level, you are Moderatetely Active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/week). This puts your Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR) including your total daily energy expenditure (TDEE) is 2103.89 calories per day. Cut 500 calories a day for 1603 and don't eat back your exercise. When you lose the 5 lbs you want to lose, your maitenance will be 2070.

You haven't been eating enough, so your body is hungry and holding onto everything that it gets. Eat more, it will help.
  • pamfm
    pamfm Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I am the same height as you, and I know what my body looked like at 115 lbs. I looked emaciated.
    You do not need to lose any more weight!! If you are still unhappy with your body, you should eat at maintenance and work on your muscle/body fat composition only, and expect the scale to possibly go up. And maintenance is well above 1200. Try to work your way up to 1890 over the next few weeks. Seriously.
  • lowbpoint
    lowbpoint Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    "With your activity level, you are Moderatetely Active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/week). This puts your Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR) including your total daily energy expenditure (TDEE) is 2103.89 calories per day. Cut 500 calories a day for 1603 and don't eat back your exercise. When you lose the 5 lbs you want to lose, your maitenance will be 2070"

not sure how to quote properly but regarding this, does this mean even if you have a sedentary job if you do actually work out for 20 /30 mins a day you should set your daily activity to higher than sedentary? sounds like a stupid question, I know, but they ask what you plan to exercise right after they ask what you do all day so I didnt consider my exercise habits in the "daily" activity answer.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,049 Member
    Options

With your activity level, you are Moderatetely Active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/week). This puts your Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR) including your total daily energy expenditure (TDEE) is 2103.89 calories per day. Cut 500 calories a day for 1603 and don't eat back your exercise. When you lose the 5 lbs you want to lose, your maitenance will be 2070.

You haven't been eating enough, so your body is hungry and holding onto everything that it gets. Eat more, it will help.

iddreams,
    I'm sorry, but she needs to eat those exercise calories. She is doing intensive exercise and is very close to her goal weight. You still have a fair amount of weight to lose, so this will work for you (iddreams). You have lost a lot of weight, but you are not where she is. You can afford a larger deficit. But when you get closer to your goal, you too will need to eat all your exercise calories.

Klamber26,

Myfitnesspal suggested a good starting point. I don't know why you don't trust it, but it works. They put you in exactly the same place as the other site you went to. All the sites use the same algorithms, but just treat exercise differently.

Eat at minimum 1650 every day. I'm assuming you have set your Goals here accurately.

If you exercise eat those calories too. So if you exercise and burn 500 calories, eat 2150 that day. Don't overthink this. Do it this way for a month. You are too close to goal to try to cut calories - you will be defeated.

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,049 Member
    Options
    In addition to what I said above Klamber26, your goals should be set like this: (and for anyone else reading this)

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.

Please spend some time reading the sticky posts at the top of the General Weight Loss forums, there is a lot to read.

And some threads:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/186814-some-mfp-basics
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficits
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/506349-women-who-eat-more-than-1800-calories-a-day

A couple good groups you can read or join:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/3817-eat-more-to-weigh-less
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/17-women-eating-2-000-calories-per-day
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    I started dieting 5 weeks ago and have been on MFP for nearly 4 weeks. Unfortunately, I never tracked how much I ate per day to maintain the weight I was at prior to dieting, nor would I be willing to do that again. Online calculators have estimated that I need anywhere from 1400 to 1800 calories per day. MFP has me at 1650, set for sedentary life-style, then I log whatever exercise I do.

Theoretically, eating 1200 calories per day and eating back only half of my exercise calories should result in a 1 pound loss per week. But not only have I not lost any weight in the past 4 weeks, I feel very weak and dizzy from only eating 1200-1300 calories per day.

I'm very small, so before everyone tells me that I need to eat more, just know that my body really should not require that many calories. *BUT*- If any petite women have had similar problems, and eating more really did help I would love to know how many calories you added and if there was an improvement in your energy levels and mood as well.

Conversely, if anyone had to dip below the magical '1200 cals a day' to see results, just how much lower did you go?

I know the number on the scale doesn't really matter, but I would very much like to lose 5-10 more pounds.

I'm 5'2", petite, older and recovering from an injury. I said I was "Sedentary" and picked the least ambitious weight loss goal on MFP. It assigned me 1,200. After following it for 30 days, some days I went over, others under, I was not seeing any significant results. So I reduced to 1100. I did get a result with that. But it was too tough, so I've moved back up to 1150.

I've been doing Intermittent Fasting for the last three weeks (14 hour fast, 10 hour eating window). It helps because if I ate all day, I could easily give into to cravings and blow my calorie max like THAT. I try not to eat back the even meager amount of calories I earn. The amount is usually overstated and my calories consumed number is usually understated.

If my @#^$ ankle ever recovers and I can walk significant distances and do some real cardio I may be able to raise my calorie level.

If you are feeling weak and dizzy, I would start at at least 1300, but I'm not sure I'd go up to 1650 and certainly not 1800 unless I was exercising like a varsity athlete. Why not go up to 1450 and see how you feel and do?
  • Klamber26
    Options

But if I eat 1650 a day, plus all my exercise calories back I won't be losing any weight at all, not even the 0.5 pounds per week.

Also, I know 115 lbs sounds low, but I certainly do not look emaciated. I'm apple shaped so even though my arms and legs are thin I still have a lot of fat in the chest/ tummy region.

iddreams,
    I'm sorry, but she needs to eat those exercise calories. She is doing intensive exercise and is very close to her goal weight. You still have a fair amount of weight to lose, so this will work for you (iddreams). You have lost a lot of weight, but you are not where she is. You can afford a larger deficit. But when you get closer to your goal, you too will need to eat all your exercise calories.

Klamber26,

Myfitnesspal suggested a good starting point. I don't know why you don't trust it, but it works. They put you in exactly the same place as the other site you went to. All the sites use the same algorithms, but just treat exercise differently.

Eat at minimum 1650 every day. I'm assuming you have set your Goals here accurately.

If you exercise eat those calories too. So if you exercise and burn 500 calories, eat 2150 that day. Don't overthink this. Do it this way for a month. You are too close to goal to try to cut calories - you will be defeated.

• Klamber26
    Options
    (Hope I'm not posting this twice)

If I eat 1650 calories a day plus all my exercise calories back, I will not be losing any weight, not even the 0.5 pounds per week.

And I know 115 lbs sounds low, but I look far from emaciated. I'm apple shaped with thin arms and legs, but a lot fat around my chest/ tummy region.
  • mfpcopine
    Options

All the sites use the same algorithms, but just treat exercise differently.

That's not true. To give one example, Fitbit usually thinks that unless I'm exercising, I should be eating 940. MFP has given me a calculation of 1,200. Sites that use a multiplier of 10 or 12 would tell me to eat 1000 or 1200. If you're a small woman who is sedentary and are very close to your goal weight you don't have a lot of leeway.

I've basically split the baby and am doing 1150 at the moment.
  • mfpcopine
    Options
    (Hope I'm not posting this twice)

If I eat 1650 calories a day plus all my exercise calories back, I will not be losing any weight, not even the 0.5 pounds per week.

And I know 115 lbs sounds low, but I look far from emaciated. I'm apple shaped with thin arms and legs, but a lot fat around my chest/ tummy region.

I believe you. Some people no longer have an accurate sense of healthy body weight ranges. Try 1450 or 1500 and see how you do. As you're young and moderately active, 1200 might well be too low for you, but I don't know about 1650 or 1800. Don't eat any calories back unless you're dropping weight in an unhealthy manner or feel dizzy or weak. If you have questions about your health, get checked out by a doctor.
  • Klamber26
    Options
    Well thank you to everyone who offered help!
    I'm sure this is a continuously asked question on here and can get annoying. So thanks again.

I will try upping my calories a bit. I think I will try adding 150-200 per day and see if I feel a bit healthier. If not, I may add more, but I'm going to work my way up slowly for sure.
  • becoming_a_new_me
    Options

iddreams,

Actually, this is correct. Setting activity at a higher level takes into account the amount of activity per day. If she ate back the calories, it would eliminate the deficit and she would not lose any weight. Her Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR) including total daily energy expenditure (TDEE) for sedentary is 1628.82 calories per day. This means she would have to go down to 1128 then eat back the exercise calories. Setting the activity level higher to account for exercise means that you do not eat back your exercise calories. This is what I do for a living and I have studied it extensively. The only reason why you eat back your exercise calories is if you set your activity level to not account for exercise.
  • pamfm
    pamfm Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Oh, that's interesting. I'm the opposite, very pear shaped! I still don't think you should aim for lower than 110. Is the second pic on your profile current? If it is, you look great! I can understand that you might want more muscle tone around your middle, but it's really not about the scale at this point. You're beyond that obstacle already. I'd recommend that you keep doing your weight training and cardio, and start to focus more on measurements instead of weight.

And I know it sounds crazy but you won't likely gain if you follow cmriverside's advice. You will have more energy for exercise, which will allow you to work harder, lift heavier, and gain more muscle/burn more fat.

I'm 5'3.75", and my goal is 120-125. Current 142. After over a month following MFP's recommendation of 1200/day, I didn't lose a thing, and while I didn't feel "starving", I wasn't exactly full of energy either. I bought the book New Rules of Lifting for Women, and adjusted my daily calorie goals according to the book's recommendations, and lost 3 pounds that month, before I was even able to start weight training. I eat between 1700 & 2000 calories per day. (I also find that I gain about 4 lbs of water throughout the month, so a week after TOM I see my first loss in weeks.) I also joined the group Eat More to Weigh Less, that cmriverside recommended, and I think those ladies are very helpful!

Here is a link to a thread where the OP posted the New Rules calculations. Give it a shot!
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/538943-how-to-calculate-calorie-goals-according-to-nrolfw

I hope this helps.

Edit: And yes, bring your calorie consumption up slowly, a little more each day. That's what I did, too. After a month at 1200, I didn't think I could ever consume 2000 in a day! (But I have done it since! And I felt great about it!)
  • mlk8604
    mlk8604 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I feel very weak and dizzy from only eating 1200-1300 calories per day.

I don't know if this has already been said, but be sure to take a multi-vitamin or some supplement. If you're eating 1200 calories a day, you might not be getting all of your vitamins (if you're weak, you could be lacking Iron).

I think it's OK to dip below 1200 calories if you're not losing any weight (maybe around 1,000?) If you're still feeling weak even with vitamins and "filling" foods, I would say you need to eat at least the 1,200/day MFP recommends.
  • Klamber26
    Options
    I feel very weak and dizzy from only eating 1200-1300 calories per day.

I don't know if this has already been said, but be sure to take a multi-vitamin or some supplement. If you're eating 1200 calories a day, you might not be getting all of your vitamins (if you're weak, you could be lacking Iron).

I think it's OK to dip below 1200 calories if you're not losing any weight (maybe around 1,000?) If you're still feeling weak even with vitamins and "filling" foods, I would say you need to eat at least the 1,200/day MFP recommends.

I've also thought it might be an iron deficiency and have been meaning to buy vitamins just haven't gotten around to it yet. I've lost my period, so iron is the most likely culprit. I did ask the pharmacist about iron supplements, but she said that unless I'm anemic I should NOT take them as too much iron can also cause problems.
  • CynSearly
    CynSearly Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Pharmacists are not doctors. You can have your iron levels checked. I went through this when I first started keeping an eye on my caloric intake. It turns out I just needed to eat more.

As anything you read here will be speculation, I recommend you see a dietician or nutritionist.