exercise what counts??

Options
ShaunnaM
ShaunnaM Posts: 23 Member
if i spend 30 min shaving my legs is that exercise? or what about showering? sweeping mopping dusting, gardening etc not listed with MFP but lots of other sources do . what is your take on this? if you count these as exercise in your diary on here is it double dipping ? does MFP count that stuff for us ???

Replies

• AliciaNorris81
    AliciaNorris81 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    You could "technically" count that stuff, but the best way to track your every move is with a fit bit. I never count those things. There is an entry for cleaning and gardening (mowing too!) and I only enter those is it is a vigorous effort beyond my normal daily stuff. Anything else, I just take as "extra' burning without counting it. :)
  • carolemack
    carolemack Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    All those things that you mention are part of your everday life and are already taken into consideration with MFP. I only use what is over and above normal activity. So any exercise...going for a walk, a run, swimming, riding a bike, playing tennis, elliptical machine, treadmill, cardio classes, etc.

That's what I do, others may do different things. Whatever you do, good luck on your weight loss journey.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Some of those things are in the MFP database, such as housecleaning, etc. Some people log it, some don't. For me, something that I do daily as part of my routine, like showering, dishes, or whatever, should be considered in my activity level settings rather than entered as exercise. Yes, I do exercise daily as well, but it's above and beyond my normal activity level as a stay at home mom.

Basically I wouldn't want to log a normal activity as exercise and then eat more calories than I should because of it.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    If you have to ask you probably shouldn't count it. Just saying.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I view cleaning, shopping, house hold chores, chasing kids around, as a part of every day life. My thought process is, if it's something you'd normally be doing before you started exercising, then it's not exercise.

Exercise to me, is something specific that you plan to do.. like running, walking 2-3 miles, zumba, weight lifting, etc.
  • TanyaCurtis
    TanyaCurtis Posts: 630
    Options
    Lol, exercise is going for a walk, run or jog. Or using exercise equipment or weights lol. Not daily prep or chores!!! :)
  • PLUMSGRL
    PLUMSGRL Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    if it doesn't make you sweat, don't count it.
    "normal" everyday activities are already accounted for in your "activity level"
  • ShaunnaM
    ShaunnaM Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    thank you every one i won't be counting the shaving showering stuff
  • dogacreek
    dogacreek Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I view cleaning, shopping, house hold chores, chasing kids around, as a part of every day life. My thought process is, if it's something you'd normally be doing before you started exercising, then it's not exercise.

Exercise to me, is something specific that you plan to do.. like running, walking 2-3 miles, zumba, weight lifting, etc.

^^^^^ This
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    you'd be cheating yourself.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    SergeantSunshine_reused Posts: 5,382 Member
    Options
    how would shaving be exercise? just wondering
  • Hickyvikki69
    Hickyvikki69 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    i count my cleaning like once a week cuz when i clean it might be light and moderate but it will be my whole house and after that im pooped. but showering n stuff like that no. its not worth it..is it getting ur heart rate up?
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Normal life activities are covered when you pick "Sedentary", "Lightly Active", "Active", "Very Active". Most people probably fall somewhere between Lightly Active and Active is my estimate.
  • lddavis06
    lddavis06 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I do not count anything that is already accounted for in my daily activities. I only count my "cardio" as an activity where my heat rate is at or over 120 bpm for no shorter than 20 minutes at a time, or when I am with my trainer doing strength training and I know I am burning calories. I think it is bs that you can log "grocery shopping" as a cardio activity... Unless you are skipping and jumping and lunging down the isles... That's my 2 cents.
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    I personally wouldn't count any of those things. They are part of your daily life, not deliberate exercise.

How do you shave? I'm starting to think I'm doing it wrong.
  • simplysassi
    simplysassi Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Honestly... all those activities do burn calories. Merely breathing and being alive does too. But keep in mind that MFP already takes into account that you are at a certain activity level, so much of the normal day to day activities are already factored in. If you do some serious house cleaning like going up and down a ladder to wash windows, or wash and vacuum a car, or something that you actually work yourself into a sweat ..then you might consider adding those activities as extra. It does really depend on what your activity level is set at on MFP already. And I would suggest only counting those that involve actually working yourself into a sweat and having an elevated heart rate.

Just my opinion. Hope it helps.
  • liog
    liog Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Usually I only count workouts, meaning, when I get my workout clothes on and my HRM and exercise. Sometimes I count walking if I happen to be doing a lot of it like at the zoo for hours and hours, but then I usually cut the MFP calories burned in half.
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    it seems like a stretch to count shaving and showering.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I don't count anything but "intentional" exercise. However, I have wanted to count straightening my hair- it can take 2 hrs and is an endurance arm workout!
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    how would shaving be exercise? just wondering

maybe she's hairy like a yeti and has to use a push mower.