Night struggles

Options
I have such a hard time at night after dinner evening chores done I'm tired and just want to relax. But I'm bored and lonely so I turn to food. All I can do is think about what can I eat. I'm desperately seeking help. Open to any ideas.

Replies

• imbanter
    imbanter Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Get on here and read posts until you go to bed!
  • buffalodaughter
    Options
    I have the same problem... its so easy for me to tell myself I deserve a glass (or three) of wine or sweet treat after a long day! For me, the best alternative is a bit of hatha yoga. Lots of videos for download or on youtube.
  • emmymae22
    emmymae22 Posts: 206
    Options
    I'm sorry that you're feeling bored and lonely. :(

Eating at night is something I struggle with too, mostly because night is my time to unwind and ..well..what do we do in front of the TV or computer? We snack...

What I do to help myself cope with night eating is to...wait for it...go ahead and eat if I feel like it. I plan my caloric intake around the fact that I will want to consume maybe up to 150 calories at night. I have a few rules for myself when it comes to eating at night. First, I only eat fruit with Truvia, air-popped popcorn, sugar free Jell-O, carrots with light ranch, a little piece of dark chocolate...things like that. Nothing unhealthy. My other rule is that I can only eat if I'm genuinely hungry. If I'm not hungry but I feel like eating, I chew gum, drink water, and go onto Pinterest and pin fitness and/or healthy eating pins. It helps me keep my eyes on the prize, so to speak.

Hope this helps.
  • rocketass99
    rocketass99 Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I read the message boards here see if there is anyone I can help. My husband travels so i spend some really lonely nights too. :( but I find that when I'm trying to help some one else, I stop thinking about myself.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    I was having that problem. Doing Intermittent Fasting has helped me. I finish dinner and don't eat again for 14 hours (To start, you could try 12 hours, or even 10 or 8.). I floss and brush my teeth and until I break my fast the next day (usually between noon and 1 p.m.) I drink only water, black tea, and in the morning, coffee with a little bit dairy.

It makes a difference to have made a commitment to something and to use positive reinforcement ("I'm doing my fast.") as opposed to negative chiding ("You know you're not hungry, why are you eating out of boredom?") I also genuinely feel less hungry after my evening meal.
  • nancycw64
    nancycw64 Posts: 14
    Options
    I feel the same way. I have started eating my dinner later so that I don't get the night munchies, but it doesn't help. I'm not really hungry - I just want something sweet!
  • sundaysurf
    sundaysurf Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. I eat well all day and then blow it at night, especially if I can't sleep. I try to leave myself some calories for snacking at night and sometimes I drink Sleepy Time tea to help me fall asleep. I do notice that when I am cutting calories I have a harder time falling asleep, which makes it harder to not give into my sweet tooth at night.

Good Luck!
  • kfox15
    kfox15 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Same here. Tea has been my savior. The warm comfort of a nice mug of tea really helps me to feel full and relax.
    -Almost forgot, make sure it's decaf!
  • 2xgma
    2xgma Posts: 4
    Options
    Good tip I'm reading I'm not alone with my eating struggles Thanks
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    Good tip I'm reading I'm not alone with my eating struggles Thanks

No, you're not alone. And understanding that it's "emotional eating," hasn't helped me. It only made me feel guiltier. In this case, action, here, Intermittent Fasting, has been more helpful than analysis.