I can't live on only 1200 calories

Options
I was given a 1200 calorie plan and I am starving. Can I eat even raw veggies to take the edge off? I am eating good food but it all adds up quickly. Please help!

Replies

• angelashay42
    angelashay42 Posts: 286
    Options
    How tall are you? How much do you weigh?

Try filling food like oatmeal, greek yogurt, eggs, peanut butter, fruit, veggies, shredded wheat, edamame, etc.
  • heartkermit
    heartkermit Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Try eating foods with more fiber. Broccoli, Sweet Potatoes, Lentils apples
    But 1200 is the min amount the MFP recommends. I am at 1270 a day before my work out calories and I sometimes have to add extra snacks in.
  • JessieArt
    JessieArt Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    What did you set your goal at. I had the same issue. I changed my goal to lose 1 1/2 pounds per week and it gave me more calories. It gave me 1340 calories per day, however, I eat about 1450. It works for me. I'm full and I'm losing!
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Who gave you that number - is that what came up when you filled out your info n MFP, or is it from elsewhere? I can't live on 1200 either - I'd be so hungry! I am set at 1700 calories per day, I'm 5'8", 139lbs, 44 years old, set to lose 1/2 lb a week. And I am losing, even with going over my calories several times a week. I track everything, but if I'm hungry, I eat (healthy foods).

Check out the info in this group, Eat More To Weigh Less: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/3817-eat-more-to-weigh-less

Plenty of people there eating more healthy calories, exercising, and losing the fat without being hungry. Gotta fuel that body to make it function efficiently! :smile:
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I'm not surprised, that is extremely low calories for most people.
    Most people can lose weight eating more than 1200 cals - the usual reason that you see this is when you don't have a lot of weight to lose and you choose an unrealistic weight loss goal (ie. "lose 2 pounds a week).
    Try resetting your goals to lose 1/2 or 1 pound a week, be realistic about your activity level ( most people aren't sedentary) and eat the extra cals you burn exercising.
  • Jenni129
    Jenni129 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    Veggies sound like a great idea. Sometimes I drink a glass of water to fool my stomach when it is growling.
  • knjm4v
    knjm4v Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Yes I agree, try adding more fibrous foods from good carbs and also maybe eat more dense protiens. Will keep you full longer. Lets be freinds on mfp to encourage each other. my name is Jackie.
  • liog
    liog Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I am 5' 6" and have my profile set to lose 1 pound a week. The goal MFP gave me is 1600 calories. I try to net between 1400 and 1600 with exercise.
  • skydivelife
    skydivelife Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Eat tons of protein. It has the same cals (4 per gram) as carbs and will keep you fuller way longer. It'll also fuel your muscles.

Wellfitlife.me
  • navstone
    navstone Posts: 30
    Options
    Feeling like starving all the time won't help you stick to the plan. Up by just a couple hundred and be very aware of making each one a good cal.
  • enyo123
    enyo123 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I was given 1230 per day to lose 1 pound per week. I actually eat closer to 1400 now that I'm paying attention. (More on weight lifting days.) Work out more and eat back your calories.
  • sisierra
    sisierra Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    lol you could, you just have to choose your food carefully. But i recommend changing your goal, I assume you set it to lose 2lbs per week? Why not start slow and go for 1 or even 1.5? That will automatically give you about 500 more calories
  • sarahtbland
    sarahtbland Posts: 11
    Options
    If you exercise and burn calories you can add more calories into your daily amount.
  • cheshirequeen
    cheshirequeen Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    If you exercise and burn calories you can add more calories into your daily amount.

agreed
    im maintaining right now. it says 1980 for me. i work out 6-7 days a week for around an hour. the more you work out, the more you should eat. veggies are really a great filler and so is water.
  • nicoletherese14
    Options
    The only way I can do it is by exercising every day and eating back the calories I burn. Also focus on eating a lot of protein rich foods. However if it is a real struggle and you are constantly hungry you are better off upping your calorie intake so that you have more energy to exercise and go about your daily life, you'll still lose weight!
  • SwimTheButterfly
    SwimTheButterfly Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    When I first started i set my calories at 1790. I lost 18lbs the first month. I tried lowering my calories to 1200, I flipped out, as soon as I set the calories that low, i started feeling like I was starving. So set my calories to 1480. I end up eating between 1100 to 1300..usually under 1200..even with working out. But I MUST have the OPTION..in 50 days I have lost 25 pounds. NicoleTherese is correct, focus on clean eating and getting in your protein. YOU CAN DO IT!
  • Kincar
    Kincar Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    Who gave you that number - is that what came up when you filled out your info n MFP, or is it from elsewhere? I can't live on 1200 either - I'd be so hungry! I am set at 1700 calories per day, I'm 5'8", 139lbs, 44 years old, set to lose 1/2 lb a week. And I am losing, even with going over my calories several times a week. I track everything, but if I'm hungry, I eat (healthy foods).

Check out the info in this group, Eat More To Weigh Less: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/3817-eat-more-to-weigh-less

Plenty of people there eating more healthy calories, exercising, and losing the fat without being hungry. Gotta fuel that body to make it function efficiently! :smile:

^^^This.

I eat 1550, which is a bit over my BMR, plus most of my exercise calories. I started losing again when I started eating more. The Eat More To Weigh Less group has tons of good info. I highly recommend checking it out.
  • Pohudet
    Pohudet Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Mfp gave me 1200 cal a day to lose 0.7 pound a week. Because 1200 cal is too little for me, i try to exercise and burn extra calories aevery day. For example, today my kickboxing class came to 500+ calories. So i could eat 1700 cal. Actually because i aslo took a yoga class ( about 100 cal), i could eat 1800 cal today.
    When i cannot go to. Lass, i just skip the rope - it is about 100 cal for 12 minutes for me.
    So, want to eat more - workout more.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    bump
  • kazzari
    kazzari Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I agree, I'd be starving, too. My cals are set at 1350 for a 1/2 lb. per week weightloss. That's tough enough. Then again, in 45 days I've lost 1-1/2 lbs. total, so maybe I do need to drop it.