High protein, low sodium?

Options
im wondering if anyone wants to help with some ideas!

im trying to keep my protein high and my carbs low (not to low but between 80-100 per day) I'm feeling good keeping my protein levels high but im having a hard time keeping my sodium at my goal every day eating this way. I already have protein shakes, but im wondering more about food choices.

What do you eat thats high in protein but easy on the sodium? I appreciate any ideas, thanks!

Replies

• 32nissy
    32nissy Posts: 67
    Options
    bump i need to kow also im ganna start lowcarb tomorrow and high proeitin.
  • keddabee
    keddabee Posts: 81
    Options
    I eat a lot of steak but trying to cut back to fish and chicken.

I also have almonds, peanuts that are roasted and unsalted, brocolli and protein shakes. I dont use the expensive brands because I'm not using them for recovering etc before working out. A cup of coffee before I go to the gym gives me enough adrenaline to get through!

Good luck :)
  • stephaneb74
    stephaneb74 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Chicken is low sodium if you don't put salt when you cook it....
    Dry beans have no sodium ( not the canned one of course)

But I would love to know more too
  • FrostyFour
    FrostyFour Posts: 262
    Options
    I actually happen to have a list right here of my favorite foods sorted by amount of protein.

Ronzoni makes a veggie pasta that has 9 grams of protein per cup, 0 sodium. *Reads again* Wow, really?

8 ounces of whole milk has 8 grams of protein, 98 mg sodium.

Target brand yolk-free egg noodles have 5 grams protein per cup, 10 mg sodium.

A 6-ounce cup of walmart brand fat-free yogurt (YUM YUM SERIOUSLY) has 5 grams protein, 75mg sodium.

2/3 cup of frozen sweet corn has 3 grams protein, 10 mg sodium.

2 egg whites has 8 grams protein (NO FAT)... I add a pinch of salt to mine and I see it has 273 sodium... but you could just not use the salt.

I buy a carton of eggs, put 2 whites in a bowl, a pinch of salt (you have to if you're gonna freeze em) put em in a ziploc bag and freeze em. I do that to the whole carton. 10 minutes in a pot of boiling water and they're good.

One of my basic dishes is pasta, egg whites and corn. Sounds lame but the corn really livens it up.
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    Maybe this can help you out its yummy.
    http://sinorslim.com
  • FrostyFour
    FrostyFour Posts: 262
    Options
    By the way....

An orange only has one gram of protein but NO sodium.
  • darrcn5
    darrcn5 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Any fresh meat-hamburger, roast, tenderloin, pork chops, chicken, fish, steak. Eggs, Greek Yogurt, and nuts are low in sodium too.
  • atjays
    atjays Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    Fish is almost zero sodium. Chicken and meats have a little bit more generally but you're confined to those for protein. It's not healthy to acquire most of your protein from whey or other substitutes. I find I can eat a relatively high protein/calorie day and still keep my sodium around 1500mg or less. That's also with quite a bit more carbs than yourself too.
  • DuanaTCWC
    DuanaTCWC Posts: 2
    Options
    If you like Tuna, try RainCoast Trading Solid White Albacore Tuna. No Salt Added! No added water or oil.
    18 grams of Protein and 15mg of sodium per serving!
    It is expensive - One 5.3 ounce can costs $5.39....but worth it for me as an individual combating high blood pressure! ;-)
  • throttler228
    Options
    edamame?
  • Tamekia770
    Tamekia770 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Check out this link, I think it will have everything you are looking for.......http://my.clevelandclinic.org/healthy_living/nutrition/hic_low-sodium_diet_guidelines.aspx Good luck!
  • bellieff
    bellieff Posts: 43
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I appreciate the help!
  • BeetleChe13
    BeetleChe13 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    edamame?

Mmmm. Yes. Dried edamame has lots of protein and is low sodium. A small handful fills me up.
  • HYBRIDXXX
    HYBRIDXXX Posts: 86
    Options
    ALL NATURAL KREMA PEANUT BUTTER. 9 GRAMS OF PROTEIN PER SERVING & 0 SODIUM. KROGERS GROCERY STORE HAS IT. I LUV IT. I PUT A TBSP N MY OATMEAL EVERY MRNG. YUMMY!!!!!!!!
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    what is the reason for low sodium?

Basically any lean non processed meat should do though.
  • VMarkV
    VMarkV Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Salt is a craving just like hunger, don't deny yourself of it but consume consistent amounts. Your kidneys will adapt to getting consistent amounts of sodium and salt will not significantly affect BP. I eat 10g salt a day, my BP yesterday was 106/68
  • djsihotang
    djsihotang Posts: 5
    Options
    Salt does not cause your body to gain or lose fat. In fact, salt has no calories. High consumption of salt only results in temporary weight gain as it causes your body to retain water. Conversely, low consumption of salt can result in temporary weight loss as it causes your body to expel water.

It is interesting to note that many crash diets which boast quick weight loss rely on foods with little or no salt content. The weight loss is mostly water, and as soon as you eat foods containing salt again you regain the weight.

i got this from an article.. what do you think?