Carb free dinner meal ideas

Options
My husband and I are trying to cut carbs out of our evening meal. Both him and I are not great vegies eaters so tend to live on salad. Anyone have any great ideas to change it up for us?

My husband is fussier than me and I have tried to force feed myself vegies and it just doesnt work, I end up gagging.

Replies

• albinogorilla
    albinogorilla Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    meat and cheese.............

i have been doing a chicken breast covered in salsa cold lately too.........not carb free, but pretty close...........
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    My husband and I are trying to cut carbs out of our evening meal. Both him and I are not great vegies eaters so tend to live on salad. Anyone have any great ideas to change it up for us?

My husband is fussier than me and I have tried to force feed myself vegies and it just doesnt work, I end up gagging.

Lettuce and veggies have carbs...

Maybe something like a bunch of fried eggs and bacon
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    I am going to assume you mean no starches. One of my absolute favorites is "fish en papillote."

You can make it with literally any combo of stuff.

Instructions: http://www.cookistry.com/2012/02/whole-foods-friday-fish-en-papillote.html

Using foil is fine too. I haven't done the microwave method. Add a tablespoon of liquid for each cup of veggies, and a little bit of time (1-2 minutes) for cooking. You'll want to cut your veggies small so they will cook enough.

Last week I had sole with tomatoes, bell peppers, fennel and lemon.
    Another time I added olives to that combo.

Sometimes I use indian spices or cajun seasoning or Moroccan spices. It all works.

Bell, pepper, onion and tomato and chiles is another good combo. (Make it Thai style with coconut milk, cilantro and lime.)

I have even done swiss chard as one of the veggies. You can pick anything and cleanup is a breeze. Usually I don't have any wine available so I use water. But wine or broth or sake would be tasty. If I want something starchy, I'll just add some beans. Chickpeas or white beans are my favorite since they are so mild, they will take on all of my flavors.
  • Sclason
    Sclason Posts: 20
    Options
    I have a delicious recipe I created!! My kids love it.

Fry up Jennie O turkey sausage
    Thick cut 2 medium zuccini, 2 medium yellow squash and mushrooms.
    Place all that in a bowl add in a low carb spaghetti or marinara sauce and seasonings
    Place in baking pan and top with mozzerella cheese and bake until heated thoroughly and cheese is melted. YUM!!!
  • entropy229
    Options
    Steak with Gorgonzola topping and a side of broccoli (or asparagus) with cheddar cheese is an awesome low carb high protein dinner! Really makes you feel full, which almost seems hard to do on a low carb diet!
  • stephaniekneld
    Options
    You can find many great low/no carb recipes in many places online. Try "Low Carb Friends" There are many recipes there that are great. Try Paleo recipes. when you say no carbs, do you truly mean no carbs, or low carb? There is a difference. If you are eating salads, then you are eating carbs. If you truly wish to eat NO carbs whatsoever, then meat and cheese is what is for dinner. A basic key to weight loss is eating low carb. By low carb, I mean under 100 carbs a day. For quick weight loss, go under 30 for 2 - 4 weeks. then add in 10 carbs per week until you are no longer losing weight. If you gain weight, then back off 20 carbs, and you should have the proper amount of carbs your body can use without storing any as fat.
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Last week I tried a new recipe for Mu Shu Pork Cabbage Wraps - They were so delicious that we are embarking on a cabbage wrap kick. This week we are doing carnitas (prepared with lean pork without added fat) in cabbage wraps with sauteed onions and jalapenos.

For those of you that are not carb free, you can add beans!
  • ashleybr1980
    ashleybr1980 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    bump
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Some combination of Protein and Fat and Not Carbs, perhaps?
  • onedayillbeamilf
    onedayillbeamilf Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    You won't even eat guacamole? You could do tortilla less fajitas with guac and sour cream on top....or fajitas, hold the guac.
  • ktenenbaum226
    ktenenbaum226 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Try House Foods brand Tofu Shirataki Spaghetti. It's tofu shaped spaghetti. Just drain noodles (they have a fishy smell), microwave, then cover with tomato sauce and cheese or add to chicken broth with some chicken and carrots. It's 40 calories
    for 8 oz. They are sold in the refrigerator section of selected supermarkets.
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options

Am going with this^

but not knowing how many cals you have left for dinner it is a bit tricky?

But oh boy I could just eat bacon n eggs right now for supper lol!
  • Jennifer23
    Jennifer23 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Try these 2 sites:

http://yourlighterside.com/

http://genaw.com/lowcarb/

Jamie and Linda have some amazing recipes on there! Have you given cauliflower a try? You can usually incorporate it into anything (pizza, tuna casserole, etc) and won't taste it. I've used cauliflower to make pizzas, tuna casserole, mock mashed potatoes -- my kids and hubby couldn't tell a huge difference and thoroughly enjoy the meals. :-)
  • cfrandall
    cfrandall Posts: 4 Member
    Options

A entire head of lettuce is 5 net grams of carbs.

We like to take a bunch of broccoli florets, put them on a cookie sheet, spritz with olive oil and sea salt (smoked salt is great for this), then put them in a 400F oven for 10 mins or until they just start to brown on the edges.

4 oz of broccoli is 5 net grams of carbs.

V V V Blame the forums' software (and the sidebar, particularly) :)
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Since this post started 5 months ago, I'm going to guess OP has already figured out her dinner plans.
  • CommandaPanda
    CommandaPanda Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    bookmark
  • TabbathaAnne
    TabbathaAnne Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Since this post started 5 months ago, I'm going to guess OP has already figured out her dinner plans.

This made me LOL.
  • Mikylee_Hintz
    Mikylee_Hintz Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    My latest favorite recipe (p.s. I didnt eat any onions or peppers before this recipe)

Bread free philly cheese steaks:
    For two peope:

2 Green peppers
    Cheese of your choice ( I used provolone)
    Roast Beef Slices- 8 slices ( I bought precooked sliced meat from the local deli)
    1 Sweet Onion

Cut peppers in halves. Remove seeds. Place on baking sheet. (they make little pepper bowls)

Cut up onion and cook in saucepan until carmelized.
    Slice roast beef slices into little squares.
    Add roast beef slices to carmelized onions and cook for two more minutes.

Take cheese (can be shredded or sliced) and line the bottom of all your pepper halves.
    Scoop in onion and beef mixture.
    Top with another layer of cheese.

Bake in the oven at 400 for 25 minutes.

You can also add muchrooms to your onions if you like them. I carmelized my onions with 2 tbsp of olive oil. Add spices to taste like garlic.

I found this link for a similar recipe http://peaceloveandlowcarb.blogspot.com/2012/06/philly-cheesesteak-stuffed-peppers.html
  • MSam1205
    MSam1205 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Try House Foods brand Tofu Shirataki Spaghetti. It's tofu shaped spaghetti. Just drain noodles (they have a fishy smell), microwave, then cover with tomato sauce and cheese or add to chicken broth with some chicken and carrots. It's 40 calories
    for 8 oz. They are sold in the refrigerator section of selected supermarkets.

Absolutely give the shirataki noodles a try! They are my go to when I get a pasta craving. Saute veggies you do like, add chicken or tofu, and add a bit of an asian type sauce. so delish I can eat the whole package. Have also do with red sauce and cheese, just as good as any real pasta, and I think a whole lot better than some of that low carb/ whole wheat stuff!