Pilates

Options
c1aireee
c1aireee Posts: 297 Member
I really want to get into Pilates to bring my stress levels down & tone up but not sure where to start, I live in UK & I cannot afford Pilates classes, so I thought maybe a Pilates DVD but there are so many! does any1 have any recommendations of good DVDs for a beginner? thanks

Replies

• Meee2012
    Meee2012 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hi

I'm also in the UK and have bought the Lynne Robinson core workout DVD. It's really good (my stomach muscles really ache after doing it!), especially as you don't need any equipment. It's also really good the first few times as she explains all the moves but this gets a bit irritating/slow once you know what you're doing. I've just bought a couple of her other DVDs as I like her style but I haven't tried them out yet.

I’ve also bought the pilates for dummies DVD which was ok although it didn’t really feel like a pilates DVD to me as it was move active (e.g. lots of squats rather than slow/progressive movements).

Sorry this isn't very helpful but I think it depends on what you’re trying to get out of the DVDs and the way you like to exercise :)
  • c1aireee
    Options
    it's very helpful thanks! I want something for beginners but also something I can advance in, I will look into the DVD u mentioned thanks
  • tumteetum
    tumteetum Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I like Lynne Robinson too and her pilates was recommended to me by a physio. I have her book Body Control manual which is helpful as it gives workouts/exercises for certain conditions and occupations. Also it says which exercises are dodgy if you have back or neck problems like me.

I found the DVD's easier than trying to figure out from the book though so use the book as a reference point.

I got a double DVD pack off Amazon which has Body Control and Weekly Workout. I can't find that for sale right now but there are a couple of double packs on there which are great value.

Body Control is a good introduction. It has a 25 min or so warm up (you can do more repetitions or skip some of the chat) but she explains about body position and breathing simply and clearly. You could soon learn the exercises and do the warm up in a shorter time to suit you better once you know what you're doing. Then there's a workout which is for the whole body - some standing, some lying down. Finally a short warm down/relax. You need a scarf and a pillow, possibly a pilates mat (I have hard floors and need one for sure). I skip some of the exercises not suitable for my back disc problem so can't say how long it is. Oh maybe a tennis ball at some point too. It does start to feel slow after you've mastered the exercises but that's what makes it so good as a beginner :)

The Weekly Workout has 3 workouts. You'll also need some light handweights (or bottles of water or tins of beans) and a pole or garden cane for some of the exercises in he workouts. Again she explains things very simply and how to get your body in the right position and breath control. There's a relaxation at the end. I tend to just use some of the exercises to add to the workout on Body Control as it doesn't have a specific warm up but you could easily add a warm up yourself once you know the exercises.

I plan to get a couple more because I like her style too and I know it's safe for my back.
  • tumteetum
    tumteetum Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    By the way might be worth checking if your library has any Pilates DVD's so you can try before you buy?
  • twoboys2012
    twoboys2012 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    You could look on you tube aswell as a try before you buy option too.
  • krm0789
    krm0789 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I love Ellen Barrett's Pick Your Spot Pilates videos. There are 4 10 minute videos-- abs, belly, thighs, & total body. She's also got a Pilates/Yoga Blend that's really nice.
  • southernsweetie1978
    southernsweetie1978 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I wish you luck. I have balance issues so Pilates doesn't work for me.
  • c1aireee
    Options
    after researching I have narrowed it down to 10 minute solutions - pilates perfect body, I found a lot of good reviews, any1 tried this DVD?
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    I love Ellen Barrett's Pick Your Spot Pilates videos. There are 4 10 minute videos-- abs, belly, thighs, & total body. She's also got a Pilates/Yoga Blend that's really nice.

Yep I have 3 on Netflix where she is the trainer and they are all really good...the one above, "Burn and Firm Pilates" and "Super Slimdown". The other two you'll want light (like 3lb) dumbbells, but she does have the modifier person do the whole workout without weights so they're not mandatory. Ellen is a great trainer and as someone with rough old joints, I'm able to do everything in these.
  • c1aireee
    Options
    I did get 10 minute solution Pilates, when I do it for 10 minutes & i log it under exercise Pilates it says I burned only 30 calories??? I don't have a HRM so I don't know for sure how many calories I will burn off but surely it would be more than 30 calories , or is that normal amount to burn while doing Pilates? I am a complete beginner but as I progress & do all 5 sets of 10 minutes I still only gonna burn 150 calories? is that right ?
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Lynne Robinson's my favourite too - very British and very simple! If you have Sky TV also have a look on the fitness channels as sometimes they have Pilates on there. There was a good beginners' one with Lynne and Fern Britton on a while ago (before Fern lost all the weight!). Look at channels 281 and 282. There's one on as I type ('Do More Pilates') but it looks a little too advanced if you are new to it.

And remember - the trick to Pilates is to always, always 'zip up' before doing any of the exercises. This basically means pull your pelvic floor up (as if you were doing a pelvic floor exercise) throughout each move. This is why Pilates is so amazing (and more difficult than it looks!). I've been to countless Pilates classes where there has been no mention of this crucial fact.
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I did get 10 minute solution Pilates, when I do it for 10 minutes & i log it under exercise Pilates it says I burned only 30 calories??? I don't have a HRM so I don't know for sure how many calories I will burn off but surely it would be more than 30 calories , or is that normal amount to burn while doing Pilates? I am a complete beginner but as I progress & do all 5 sets of 10 minutes I still only gonna burn 150 calories? is that right ?

That's probably about right as Pilates is all about strength rather than aerobic calorie-burning exercise. It might not burn calories but it is great for knocking off inches!
  • kellyhook88
    kellyhook88 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Im in the UK to, if you have sky+, you should check out the 'Fitness TV and 'Active' Channel they have lots of Pilates workouts on most days, just record a few! xx
  • Aquaduckie
    Aquaduckie Posts: 115
    Options
    I have only ever used Windsor Pilates but got great results with the DVDs. They are suited to beginners or advanced people. I lost a lot of weight about 4 years ago and part of my routine included pilates. I lost 2 inches off my hips, 2 inches off my thighs and 2 inches off my waist in a little over a month. You don't lose weight with them, but you definitely tighten and tone your muscles. I thought they were fantastic and plan on using them again soon.
  • c1aireee
    Options

That's probably about right as Pilates is all about strength rather than aerobic calorie-burning exercise. It might not burn calories but it is great for knocking off inches!

ah okay! thanks