I Seem To Have Given Up Soda - NSV

Options
JillSandm
JillSandm Posts: 52 Member
I've had an unhealthy relationship with food most of my life. We moved a lot growing up, and I got used to stuffing my face after school as a way of dealing with daily stresses. I'm talking a six pack of Coke and a whole bag of Doritos, or whole box of Oatmeal Cream Pies - every day. No one would ever have guessed, though, as my metabolism was through the room until my 20s. I weighed 110 at my heaviest (I'm 5'5") until college. In college, I put on 30 pounds, but managed to drop 15 my senior year so that I could be married at 125. Since then, I have continued to seek so much fulfillment in food - when I'm bored, when I'm upset, when I'm happy, etc. And while my soda habit hasn't stayed at a six-pack per day (mostly due to the expense of that kind of habit!), I was still drinking 64 ounces daily until just recently.

March 21 was my start date on MFP, and I found myself at my heaviest weight - 180. I've had a few sodas since starting MFP, especially at the beginning. I tried to go one day without soda, then I tried to make it a whole weekend without soda. Gradually I've made it more and more days between sodas. I never intended to give soda up completely, but to save it for "special" days or planned "cheat" days.

I stand before you now, having not had a single drop of soda since April 28!!! I have had many meals out lately, and restaurant Coke in a cold glass with lots of ice is my FAVORITE way to drink soda, but I have been ordering water with lemon. And I had totally planned to drink as much Coke as I wanted yesterday (Mother's Day is a good excuse to ingest whatever I want, right???), but when it came right down to it, I couldn't. It just wasn't worth it to me to ruin my streak of soda-free days. I don't want to start back over at Day One.

So...

Hi. I'm Jill. I'm a soda-holic. I'm 16 days "sober."

Replies

• AmeChops
    AmeChops Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    Hi Jill...many congratulations!! :flowerforyou:
  • faithstephenson
    faithstephenson Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Congrats! I've basically given it up, as well. I still occasionally have a small amount, but most of the time, I'd rather use my calories in other ways. It is just hard to justify drinking so many calories.
  • Sassles
    Sassles Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    That is awesome. The soda is my down fall. You have inspired me. Every month, every week I tell myself tomorrow.
    I need to make it today.

Congrats!
  • lowpro1983
    lowpro1983 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Congrats!!!!!!! I remember the week that I challenged myself to NO SODA (I drank diet mt dew religiously). I saw weightloss!!!!!!! It was so exciting. I never knew that I was hindering my weightloss bc of a DIET SODA even.

As a matter of fact, I grabbed a 20 oz diet dr pepper today thinking that I needed the caffiene. I had to go and get some water. :) I took a few sips of the diet soda, but I'd rather have WATER. How exciting is that??

Good luck to you!!!! The longer you go without it, the less you crave it - OR like it when you drink it!
  • RobinvdM
    RobinvdM Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    Hi Jill. Congrats!

I too am a soda-holic. I was at a point 2.5 years ago where I was drinking almost 2 bottles of 2 liters per day.
    I gave it up for new years in 2010. It was difficult, especially going out to dinner with the family. However, here
    I am, 2.5 years "sober" lol. You are going to appreciate the effort you are doing for yourself. My resolve only
    weakens now when I smell the bubbles, haha. Good luck. I promise, it will get easier to stick to :wink:
  • alortega730
    alortega730 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    thumbs up!! i know its hard
  • JadedSouls
    JadedSouls Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I used to be a Pepsi-aholic for so many years. I'd be drinking 2-4L of it a DAY!

Then Sept '10 I cut it out cold turkey and haven't had a drop of pop since! The first few weeks were heck as it was like (I'm assuming) withdrawals from a drug addiction and trying to come clean *lol* I had the shakes, headaches, chest pains - was awful..

But.. in 2-3 months I lost 14lbs and they've stayed off! Some days I do wish I could have an ice cold pepsi but it's not worth it anymore. I'll stick with water :)
  • ashcky
    ashcky Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    How did you combat the caffeine headaches? Those are horrible for me. I'm trying to stop soda, switch to tea and then wean off that. The headaches are just so brutal!
  • niecyc23
    niecyc23 Posts: 402
    Options
    WTG you are doing great:)
  • lowpro1983
    lowpro1983 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    How did you combat the caffeine headaches? Those are horrible for me. I'm trying to stop soda, switch to tea and then wean off that. The headaches are just so brutal!

Honestly, I don't remember having really bad headaches. I went from drinking regular soda to diet soda - then I replaced everything with water except one diet soda at dinner - then I replaced it all with water. Take it slow & maybe it won't be so bad. I loveeeee drinking water now. & I'd much rather have some tea than any soda now, but I try to stick with JUST water.
  • JillSandm
    JillSandm Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Started by keeping my cofee addiction going strong - sometimes up to a pot a day. Still had some headaches, but knew they would end. Still got REALLY crabby with my hubs for several days. Now that I'm making some headway, I'm down to about a cup or three of coffee every couple of days. (Had three cups yesterday, half-cup this morning, probably won't have any again until Tuesday evening.) The headaches ARE brutal - but don't forget your friends ibuprofen and excedrin migraine (which has caffeine in it). Also, for me, I know that if I drink a soda, I'm going to crave other sugary foods. I can not afford to sabotage my weight loss!
  • april1lowe
    april1lowe Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    You will find that you physically CAN'T drink it before you know it! I drank soda through an IV basically I was so hooked on it. I was like Water? WTF IS THAT??? But since getting healthier I knew I needed to cut it back and kind of just did your trick. Before I knew it I had went quite awhile without it. I have no clue how long it had been but I finally decided to have one. Well well well. To my surprise, it felt like razor blades going down my throat and tasted like straight up thick syrup. It was horrible! I was in complete shock! I was the worst soda drinker and now I physically couldn't stand it. I've tried it a few times since, different kinds, my old favorites, even doing fountain (my TOP pick). I just can't do it. I want one so bad sometimes so I'll take a swig of my fiance's but every time I try a sip, I remember why I don't drink it. It tastes horrible and the carbonation hurts!

Keep it up! That crap is like heroin! LOL Not drinking soda is the greatest thing I've done for my body!
  • BSmith0926
    BSmith0926 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Way to go!!! I also have always loved my soda, I am now on day 22 with no soda!!! I have not been able to order one either, after I got past the hard part of it I feel so much better!!! I have so much more energy and I am able to sleep at night. good job I hope you keep up the good work!
  • ninerschick
    ninerschick Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Hi Jill.....

Im Cynthia I was to a soda-holic...

I'm 168 days "sober." it was more like a dare from the hubby and haven't looked back since he still drinks sodas and tries to test me. By putting it in my face but that doesn't work....lol gotta love him for that im mostly on water and juice going to drop those soon also and just have nothing but water....:smile: congratulations on ur 16 days of being sober keep up the good work ur doing great b4 u know it it will be a year...
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!