1lb gain?!?!

Options
Hey guys, this was my first week and on Saturday morning I had lost 1.5lb and i as very happy but it wasn't my weigh in day so didn't log it. This morning I have weighed myself and have put on 2.5lb since then. There are two things I can think, I didn't weigh certain things at the weekend and I was too generous or that last Monday I had done a 3 hour walk and it made my initial weigh in weight lower. I feel incredibly disheartened and am considering leaving 200 cals left per day?

Does any one have any tips?

LauraLoo. X

Replies

• xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    yes..dont weigh yourself so often..we all gain and lose a few lbs from day to day..its mostly water retention.
  • lauraloo83
    lauraloo83 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I know but once a week should be fine right? I'm 1lb more than my stArting weight and given the amount of crap I was eating with no exercise hardly...I don't get it! X
  • emmalou2206
    emmalou2206 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I am so bad for weighing myself everyday and I know I shouldn't because I don't like what the scales say. A week last Sunday I went for a 15 mile walk and I weighed myself that evening and then when I weighed myself the following morning I had gained 2.5lbs (normally I weigh less in a morning not 2.5lbs heavier).

Another thing that doesn't make sense, I weigh 1.2lbs heavier than yesterday morning which means I have to have eaten 3500 calories above my TDEE when actually I ate 1300 calories (my daily calorie goal)
  • imthelobster
    imthelobster Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Throughout the course of a day, your weight can fluctuate by as much as 5lbs. Sodium/water retention can also affect what the scale says.

In order to have gained a true pound of fat, you have to have eaten 3,500 calories over your TDEE, which is highly unlikely. Give it a day (or a couple) and weigh again.
  • pink_and_shiny
    pink_and_shiny Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    A) Nice avatar.
    B) Hide the scale so you only hop on it once a week, and focus more on how your clothes are fitting. Even better, start taking your measurements with a tape measure.
    C) You said you've been at this for one week, right? Give your body some time to adjust. Like others have said, there are a lot of fluctuations that go on throughout the day that cause weight to go up and down. Did you have a high-sodium meal? That may be the culprit (evil water weight).
    D) Stay positive!
  • OpenHeaven
    OpenHeaven Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Just a thought - are you about to start your period?
  • lauraloo83
    Options
    Hey guys thank you for all your advice, I'm feeling positive again! Mind if I add you all??

Pink_and_Shin yes I have only been at it one week, my clothes do feel a bit slacker and I'm not sure about my meal....prawn stir fry with rice, maybe i was generous on the rice.

Openheaven - good point but i'm actually slap bang in the middle of my cycle... I'm going to stick at it though as my diet has improved dramitically (cant quite kick the curly wurly's yet though :/ )

I really appreciate the time you have taken out to support me..

LauraLoo xxx
  • sazzyp1973
    sazzyp1973 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Don't weigh yourself too much as your weight fluctuates.

Don't only look at the scales, look at how your clothes fit or how you feel generally. Its not all about getting thinner, its about getting healthier too!
  • emmalou2206
    emmalou2206 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    drink a liter of water so so you gain 2lbs.

What did you mean by this?
  • thechunkydrummer
    Options
    drink a liter of water so so you gain 2lbs.

I noticed this the other day... A pint of any fluid weighs almost exactly 1lb... Kinda puts things in perspective when people claim to have drunk x many pints on a night out!

Oh and Hi!
  • loveskinny27
    loveskinny27 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Possible Causes - Your digestive System if fuller - always weigh once a week at the same time of day wearing the same style clothes - this will give accurate figuires. water retention.
    womens monthly cycles can add up to 3lb on & around your due time.
    doing a lot of exercise can initially cause you to gain as you will burn fat but gain muscle - get yourself a measuring tape! and measure your neck, back, bust, tummy, hips, thighs same again do this on the same day at roughly the same time.
    I swear by this as I had a similar thing to you - was doing well 1st couple of weeks then was working out 5 times in a week and I gained 1.5lb!! i'd not cheated and My sister (Mrs Moticator as I call her) said start measuring urself weekly so i did and low and behold even on the weeks where I stay the same or have a 0.5lb gain i have lost cm or inches from places it really keeps you motivated and stops the disheartend feeling of the scales! DONT BE A SLAVE TO THE SCALES :)

Good luck for the furture weeks

Jo:love::flowerforyou: :smooched:
  • lauraloo83
    Options
    Thank you loveskinny and all the other posts may I add you?? I will measure tonight x My love handles are defo smaller! x
  • MoonMeliMelo
    Options
    That happened to me last week. I felt very disheartened too and was ready to have lots of rubbish, because well, I might as well if I gain weight while dieting... but then, I told myself to wait for another week, to see how it'd go and then pile on the junk food.
    And a week later, the scale showed I'd lost weight.
    Really, if you pay attention to what you eat work out a little, there's no reason why you should gain weight. There is water retention, etc, but it also depends how serious you are with your diet.
    I run 5km everyday and watch closely what I eat, yet it seems it's taking forever for me to be a top model!!!
    But I'm kinda glad I have to work hard to loose weight, that way i think twice before even considering junk food.
    =)
  • acidosaur
    acidosaur Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about small gains like that. I only weigh myself once every two weeks because my weight loss is slow and I can fluctuate by as much as 3lb day to day. I used to go scuba diving and from day to day you have to use totally different weights to go down because everyone's body composition changes so much from day to day. It's natural!
  • lauraloo83
    Options
    Wow thats really interesting about the scuba diving!! Definately puts that into perspective! Melanie I'm so pleased you stuck to it!! Perhaps we will both be top models in a tear or so hehe! This is what I love about this site, I no longer feel rubbish about it. You guys have really helped me through that barrier......it could have been a bad food day :) X
  • kristy6ward
    kristy6ward Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I weigh throughout the week just to see where I stand, but my official day is saturday. I could be up 4 lbs during the week, but still have a loss on weigh day. It's almost magic. But here's my tips: Don't weigh after a workout day, especially if you worked with weights. Try to weigh after a rest day, in the morning. Drink lots of water a couple days leading into weigh day to try and flush rentention. Keep sodium intake low the day before a weigh.

Maybe you should move your weigh day? I used to weigh on Sundays officially, but saw I always had better losses on Saturday. It was better for my mental health to switch.
  • lauraloo83
    Options
    Hi Kristy,

I weigh myself first thing in my birthday suit to minimise variables BUT since I am a good girl through the week and treat myself more at a weekend I wil weigh in on a Friday or Saturday morning. I may go for Saturday actually :)

Thank you for the tips!

LauraLoo xx
  • nikki0960
    nikki0960 Posts: 13
    Options
    I weigh myself everyday but the naturpath I am seeing told me too. However, I was up 1 pound last week and when I called him he told me to eat more dark green veggies and lots of celery.

He said if you are retending water this is what you do. So I ate more dark veggies and I lost 1.2 pounds in 1 day. Don't eat iceburg lettuce as it has nitrates in it and that isn't good for you.
    Good Luck and let me know how that works

Nikki
  • em9371
    em9371 Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    it takes a while for your body to adjust to your new cals and its normal for weight to do up and down a few pounds over the day from water, you might have just caught it at a high time on weigh in day!
    If you ate out over the weekend though, your counts could have been off. Its best to properly weigh as much as you can to get accurate cals.
    working out will also cause temporary gains due to water / glycogen from muscle repair.
    There is no need to be 200 cals under, your goal already includes a deficit and eating too little can affect your loss just as bad as eating too much.
  • chrishgt4
    chrishgt4 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    I weighed myself Sunday at 187lbs, yesterday morning I was 180, yesterday night I was 186. This morning 183.

So yea, it can fluctuate....