cycling with your Dog

Options
Hi,
Due to problem knees i find it difficult to jog or even power walk but try to keep a quick pace while walking the dog. Hopefully now that better weather is on the way (fingers crossed) i was thinking of buying a bike and would love to take my dog with me.
Does anyone cycle with their dogs? and any tips you can give to ensure a safe ride for my pet and not catching his feet or legs on the wheels. His a springer spaniel and could also do with losing a little weight :happy:

thank you in advance :heart:

Paula

Replies

• ivyamom
    ivyamom Posts: 16
    Options
    we have used the Springer (bike leash) with our goldens..they love it but as with anything there is training involved and u need to start slow while ur dog adjusts to the speed and commands :)
  • kateblue72
    kateblue72 Posts: 113
    Options
    If there is any way to get 'out in the country', your dog and you will enjoy the ride more. Dog can then run free, and you don't need to worry about having him pull you off the bike. I would especially ride a bit without him, so you get used to cycling again, because as the above says - there is some training involved... and you need to still 'operate' the bike. Especially if he decides to take off after a cat! I have a friend that taught their dog to run on the treadmill ... and then this allowed her to cycle on her own ... food for thought - lol!
  • Trail_Addict
    Trail_Addict Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    I recommend this attachment.

http://bikerdog.com/
  • soontobeslim01
    soontobeslim01 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thank you all :flowerforyou:
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,122 Member
    Options
    Don't ever ride without him leashed in some way. It's dangerous, even in the "country". He will learn to keep pace with you. It was the only way I could exercise my Irish Setter enough to keep her from jumping the fence. It took about three days of slow rides and she never got tangled. They don't want to get hurt, and learn quickly.