My Son's Huge Success

Options
Hey Everyone!

My 13-year old son started using this website in June and just by keeping track of approximately 2,000 calories...today has lost a total of 32 lbs.! He wants to lose another 13 lbs. to get to his goal! I am sooo proud of him!!

His relationship with food has changed greatly since using this website. When he goes with me or my husband to grocery shop, he's buying smart. Looking at the ingredient labels and watching his sodium intake. He's an athlete, so the next trick will be "maintenance" and determing what his caloric intake should be so that he doesn't gain anything back.

I absolutely love this website and it has been a blessing for our family! I plan to start my own journey this week!

Replies

• eglass64
    Options
    Kudos for him. How much did he weigh before losing?
  • ltwonn
    Options
    He started at 225 lbs. He is 5'9" tall and has a large frame. He was also in size 38 pants and XL Adult Shirt. He put on his 34's today and they are baggy and the Adult Large is also loose on him. He is officially at 193 lbs. and looking to get to 180 lbs. and then his height and weight should stay in check from there as he continues to grow! He's a football/baseball player and it is amazing how much this has helped him!
  • PlumCrazyGirl
    PlumCrazyGirl Posts: 1,463 Member
    Options
    Congratulations to your son!
    An inspiration to other teens and adults.
    b
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    That's awesome! I have a 13 yo too--I am so proud of him
  • oregonlady
    oregonlady Posts: 2,743 Member
    Options
    that is sooo great!:bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • Kath712
    Kath712 Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    Wow - congrats to him! What a great way to get him started on a lifetime healthy habits.
  • ali258
    ali258 Posts: 403
    Options
    Wow! That is amazing, and such a great time in life to learn how to be healthy!
  • rogers8702
    rogers8702 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    wow that is Great! i wish i could have known about watching calories at that age. high school would have been much easier LOL
  • kokonutmama
    Options
    Yay! what a great mama you are! :flowerforyou:
  • OomarianneoO
    OomarianneoO Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    Hey Everyone!

My 13-year old son started using this website in June and just by keeping track of approximately 2,000 calories...today has lost a total of 32 lbs.! He wants to lose another 13 lbs. to get to his goal! I am sooo proud of him!!

His relationship with food has changed greatly since using this website. When he goes with me or my husband to grocery shop, he's buying smart. Looking at the ingredient labels and watching his sodium intake. He's an athlete, so the next trick will be "maintenance" and determing what his caloric intake should be so that he doesn't gain anything back.

I absolutely love this website and it has been a blessing for our family! I plan to start my own journey this week!

That is just awesome!! My youngest son is 9yrs. old and overweight (15lbs.) He's been going with me on my runs!! He says that he wants to start eating right and exercising along with me. I tell ya, I couldn't be more proud of him. In fact, he kept bugging me all day yesterday to go when I really didn't feel like it. We went anyway and....wow. I'm just so proud of him. I'll be sure to show him your post when he gets home from school. I'm just starting out with the C25K, and he's kept up with me (not that its hard to do :laugh: ) all last week. The coolest thing is that there's been absolutely no pushing from me.

:drinker:
  • tlwonn
    tlwonn Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    It is great reading everyone's posts! We are very proud! I actually had posted my post under his "ID" which was an oops on my part...So, I logged myself in properly this time!

I know he feels better and it's a life-long learning/habit for him and the rest of us! I was basing his weight on what happened with my brother when he was my son's age. My brother just kind of sprouted and thinned out eventually on his own once he hit puberty...however, with our son, this wasn't happening (of course, he hasn't hit puberty yet)...the weight has kept coming on every year and honestly, I didn't think he was taking in that many calories every day, plus he is very active in sports...Little did we know that this was not the case (once he started keeping track, etc.)...lesson learned...

I had even talked to the Dr. about his weight the last time we were there, because I was sooo baffled as to why he was putting on all this weight every year...I just figured he was going to be a "big" guy!

So anyway, if your kids are at the place where they are interested in learning about eating well, I'd jump on it! He was at a place where he can log in, track his food intake, etc...sooo, he has truly done this on his own with a little nudging know and again from Mom...

Life is good!
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    A big CONGRATULATIONS to your son! It's great he's learning to eat healthy at that age. That's something he can continue for the rest of his life. Congratulations to you also as you start your own journey. :flowerforyou:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!