Logging after midnight

Options
If you eat or drink something after midnight, do you start a new diary for the day or keep logging for the day you've started? I'm often up past 12 and usually eat something and drink a bit of water. I just keep logging for the day started but feel like maybe I should be starting a new entry.

Replies

• tony1307
    tony1307 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I work nights.... So I am always up past 3am. IF I have anything to log past midnight, I add to the the previous day. I work it so my "day" ends when I go to bed. Not at midnight. So if I go to work monday night, I come home Tuesday morning... If I have a snack on my way home, it counts on MONDAY'S diary.
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    My day ends when I go to bed too. I'm also living on night shift schedule because that's the shift my gf works.
  • rachelbethany
    rachelbethany Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I was just wondering about the same thing. I, too, just keep logging for the day. I think our biological clocks are what's important here, and if you often stay up late (even if you wake up early), your body is used to midnight NOT being the end of the "day." So it's okay to continue logging stuff for that day. If you tend to sleep late in the mornings, this is especially true. Otherwise, your eating schedule might become very confused.

Starting a new day after rising from deep sleep is also important because sleeping gives you a chance to recharge and be ready to do more exercise for the new day. If you exercise late at night -- even after midnight-- (I often do) and count it toward the next day, you might use it as an excuse not to work harder after waking, which is especially a problem since you should be capable of more exercise after resting for several consecutive hours.
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,803 Member
    Options
    I work nights.... So I am always up past 3am. IF I have anything to log past midnight, I add to the the previous day. I work it so my "day" ends when I go to bed. Not at midnight. So if I go to work monday night, I come home Tuesday morning... If I have a snack on my way home, it counts on MONDAY'S diary.

This^^^ , yup same thing I do
  • squirrelygirl82
    Options
    I have my day start at midnight. I work 3rd shift, usually 7p-7a shifts, and at midnight, I start logging for the next day. It helps me feel like I am staying on track better...if I were log something I ate at 3am for the previous day, I feel like I'd go over my calories, and I feel like I've 'blown it'. It's all really a mind thing for me. Do whatever works for you!
  • Athena98501
    Athena98501 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I would say you log for the same day until that day ends for you. That's was I do, and I have it happen about like you do (up past midnight fairly often).
  • Iskreemman
    Iskreemman Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I also work nights (7pm-530am) and like squirrelygirl I log anything past midnight on the current day rather than the previous day.
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    As long as you're consistent and it makes sense to you it won't make any difference to your loss.
  • joehempel
    joehempel Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    I go Midnight to Midnight. I work 3rd shift and sleep odd times, broken up etc...

So if I wake up at 6pm, I could stay awake till 8am, eat 1,000 calories from 6pm to Midnight, at Midnight it starts over for me.
  • mistyladidah
    mistyladidah Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I tend to wake up pretty early, about 7:30 or 8, but don't eat a lot until 11 most of the time.
  • unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    I log wake to sleep.
  • dreamshadows
    dreamshadows Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    When I log it's wake to sleep. I gave up trying to keep the days streight a long time ago. now it's recorded whatever day it falls on.
  • jfan175
    jfan175 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I have my day start at midnight. I work 3rd shift, usually 7p-7a shifts, and at midnight, I start logging for the next day. It helps me feel like I am staying on track better...if I were log something I ate at 3am for the previous day, I feel like I'd go over my calories, and I feel like I've 'blown it'. It's all really a mind thing for me. Do whatever works for you!

I work the same shift, but I keep all calories for the same waking period. I do have the option of shifting to the new day so my MFP graphs stay "pretty". jk
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I enter everthing I eat before I go to bed for the night as part of my day, no matter what time.