help

Options
ok the problem is i have no exercise tools other thatn my will to exercise. can someone give me some ideas to get started with one of my main problems is that when i walk or stand for a while my lower back really hurts please help?

Replies

• proudmom
    proudmom Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    ok the problem is i have no exercise tools other thatn my will to exercise. can someone give me some ideas to get started with one of my main problems is that when i walk or stand for a while my lower back really hurts please help?
  • Helawat
    Helawat Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    It's hard when you don't have access to the gym or exercise equipment.

I don't have a DVD player but I would suggest trying a few cardio DVDs, which you can find at Walmart or any other multimedia store.

Running/jogging/walking is free and can be done outside at your own pace or try anaerobic exercise such as weight-lifting, sprints (running, biking, etc.), jumping rope, hill climbing, intervals, isometrics (in which one part of the body is used to resist the movement of another part) or any rapid burst of hard exercise.

Jumping rope is a great exercise as you don't have to do it for very long for it to be effective.

I would advise to stay away from interval training though. According to Sparkpeople.com:

"Anaerobic interval training is primarily reserved for those who are very fit and desire to increase speed, lactate threshold, and overall aerobic power. Such training usually results in greater lactic acid concentrations in exercising muscles and is accompanied by greater muscular discomfort. This can be a very intense type of training and should not be attempted by a beginning exerciser. Those who do use this technique should do a considerable low-level aerobic warm up and stretch before and after vigorous activity."

Just do what you can with the tools you can get from Walmart or whatever you have in your area. I would start off with aerobic DVDs and branch off from there.

Good Luck!
  • mkeithley
    mkeithley Posts: 399
    Options
    You might check your local YMCA about memberships/aerobic swim classes as they are supposed to be very good for people with bad joints, etc.

I don;t know first hand, but a program like Curves for Women might be helpful.

At my YMCA they have free childcare for members. My kids rock climb or swim while I work out.

My membership fees are automatically deducted from my bank acct each month, which doesn't seem as bad as paying a big lump sum up front:smile:

Having the drive to exercise is half the battle:flowerforyou:
  • Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    Options
    Well I am not sure what you are able to do but here are a few ideas.

When you are sitting down lift your legs one at a time such as a march. Once you have that you can find different movements with your arms. You could kick out your legs or even lift both of them at the same time. Though that might be to hard just yet.

Another thing you might be able to handle in Small doses is lying on your stomach and simply lift up. Eventually you want to get your arms and legs up. But to begin you should just lift you head and shoulders up. I would start slow with this. But eventually it should help you gain some stregnth in your back. Do not forget to do some crunchies as well. Don't over do if you have back issues work up to it.

If you can find a quigong tape at a book or video store try and get one. It is slow movements that will not hurt and will get you moving and stretching.

Good luck.
  • beep
    beep Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    To strengthen your lower back, provided it is not injured, lay on your stomach and lift your legs one at a time. Before doing any exercise, stretch out your back muscles.
  • jakspak
    jakspak Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    i go to curves and love it been going nearly a year now. its great i have lower back issues (due to having over sized boobs all my life till 10 yrs ago) and so far not so bad and i have knee issues which only one machine realy play's havoc with them but mostly its fine and i can work through it

its short burst of 30seconds on each machine with 30 sec of walking on a board where you can add extra movment to help the cardio and it all only lasts 1/2 hour and thats with streatching. i say if you can go down check one out they will ask you quiestions about health etc and work around that

what you could do is see your doctor about what you can do

i also go swimming 2 nights a week so one night gym then one at pool etc till day five then weekend i rest i need it by then lol im thinking i might take the kids out more now that my youngest is nearly 3yrs and can do more like riding a bike with trainers etc.

good luck its a case of working out whats best for you it took me a while so at least you being here is a step in the right direction
  • proudmom
    proudmom Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    thanks for all the advice it really has helped me out
  • edyta
    edyta Posts: 258
    Options
    Abs are important to stabilize your lower back so start with crunches.
    Try to search youtube.com for some short workouts.

I know pilates is good to strengthen core muscles so look for dvd or youtube movies with this.

Good luck :flowerforyou: