Is this true of Coke or scaremongering?

Options
I don't drink soda but my children do so would like to know for sure :wink:

In many states in the USA, highway patrol cars carry two gallons of Coke in the trunk to remove blood from the highway after a car accident.

You can put a T-bone steak in a bowl of Coke and it will be gone in two days.

To clean a toilet: Pour a can of Coca-Cola into the toilet bowl and let the "Real Thing" sit for one hour, then flush it clean. The citric acid in Coke removes stains from vitreous china.

To remove rust spots from chrome car bumpers: Rub the bumper with a rumpled-up piece of aluminum foil that has been dipped in Coke.

To clean corrosion from car battery terminals: Pour a can of Coke over the terminals to bubble away the corrosion.

To loosen a rusted bolt: Applying a cloth soaked in Coke to the rusted bolt for several minutes.

To bake a moist ham: Empty a can of Coke into the baking pan, wrap the ham in aluminum foil, and bake. Thirty minutes before the ham is finished, remove the foil, allowing the drippings to mix with the Coke for a sumptuous brown gravy.

To remove grease from clothes: Empty a can of Coke into a load of greasy clothes, add detergent, and run it through a regular cycle. The Coke will help loosen grease stains.

Coke will clean road haze from your windshield.

Replies

• NomadicKris
    NomadicKris Posts: 90
    Options
    Look up all the coke stories on Snopes.com - loads of them :) I can't remember what's true and what's not - it is true that it's very acidic.
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    please see the mythbusters for this..they did a whole episode dedicated to everything you've said here..most were busted
  • sarahmy3
    sarahmy3 Posts: 9
    Options
    In Oz there is a saying "only in America".......
  • Microfiber_wechange
    Options
    Thank you. I had visions of my children's insides disintegrating :laugh:
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    Another popular one is that the coke formula is so acidic that trucks transporting it are required to have a warning that they are carrying a corrosive material. Well, yes, that's true. It's also true that the formula is so diluted in the final product that it's not more dangerous than any other soda (all carbonated beverages are bad for your teeth if drunk regularly, even seltzer).
  • unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    I have actually used Diet Coke to clean remove gunk from the contacts of a car battery, before. You use Diet, though, because the syrup in regular will defeat the purpose of what you're trying to do.
  • MysticMaiden22
    MysticMaiden22 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    My mom told me once that back in the 80s her friends used to douche with Coke after having sex to prevent pregnancy.

Needless to say it never worked.
  • sarah692
    sarah692 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Thank you. I had visions of my children's insides disintegrating :laugh:

Well given how many years Coke has been around and how many people have consumed it... I think it would be a little more newsworthy if these things were true and people had any reason at all to worry. lol
  • Mrsmis78
    Mrsmis78 Posts: 62
    Options
    It does cook a ham very well and it is true that it gets all the road gunk off your windshield. I have done this, especially when behind somebody that pours something out their window going down the interstate at 80 mph. It has to be a hot Coke though. I haven't heard anything about the others, though.
  • Spokez70
    Spokez70 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    To bake a moist ham: Empty a can of Coke into the baking pan, wrap the ham in aluminum foil, and bake. Thirty minutes before the ham is finished, remove the foil, allowing the drippings to mix with the Coke for a sumptuous brown gravy.

It does make a pretty good glaze for ham- reduced down with some brown sugar and ground cloves.
  • militarydreams
    militarydreams Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I honestly don't think that a t-bone steak would dissolve in coke and I'm not about to waste my money finding out :laugh: I think it's safe to say that on one of the all night whiskey and coke benders I had as a youngster I would have looked like a cartoon character under heavy machine gun fire.
  • militarydreams
    Options
    Perhaps the coca-cola myths are very old. Pre-1903 Coke contained cocaine and was sold as a tonic... one look at daniella westbooks nose confirms the t-bone steak theory
  • rolyh
    rolyh Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    IMO regardless of how acidic Coke is, the hydrochloric acid in your stomach is far more acidic - all your stomach has to do is keep the pH stable, which it does all the time anyway.
  • jennkain97
    jennkain97 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Whether or not these things are true, think about all the things you KNOW are true about Coke, or any other soft drink. At it's best, it's a bottle of nutritionally empty calories. (And even w/o the calories, diet is not good for you. Aspartame and other artificial sweeteners have been known to cause all kinds of health problems.) Your kids may not have any problems w/ their weight or health right now, but you'd be doing them a huge favor to start instilling healthy eating/fitness habits now while they are young, so they don't develop problems later in life. That's not to say we can't all enjoy these things on occasion, but unfortunately, "occasions" seem to pop up more and more often for all of us these days ;) Not preaching here -- I'm just as guilty of letting things slide more than I should. But we're all here, at least in part, for accountability. Right?
  • militarydreams
    Options
    Whether or not these things are true, think about all the things you KNOW are true about Coke, or any other soft drink. At it's best, it's a bottle of nutritionally empty calories. (And even w/o the calories, diet is not good for you. Aspartame and other artificial sweeteners have been known to cause all kinds of health problems.) Your kids may not have any problems w/ their weight or health right now, but you'd be doing them a huge favor to start instilling healthy eating/fitness habits now while they are young, so they don't develop problems later in life. That's not to say we can't all enjoy these things on occasion, but unfortunately, "occasions" seem to pop up more and more often for all of us these days ;) Not preaching here -- I'm just as guilty of letting things slide more than I should. But we're all here, at least in part, for accountability. Right?

This... and google high fructose corn syrup. It's suprising how much they use to mask the taste of all the salt.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    All what salt? There's less sodium in coke than there is in regular tap water.
  • bozzalozza
    bozzalozza Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Coke is relatively low in sodium compared to other types of drinks BUT I think the sodium content of tap water varies depending on its original source and the stuff the water company may choose to put into it.
  • militarydreams
    Options

If it's 'be anal about everything day' then that really depends on where you live. The salt in coke isn't at a dangerous level but they do add some so what does that tell you? They're definitely not trying to quench your thirst.
  • BeckyProctor
    BeckyProctor Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I know it works to clean battery terminals because I've done that before. I agree with the person who said that stomach acid is more acidic than coke. I'd worry more about the empty calories and caffeine if your children are drinking a lot of it. I think it's fine as an occassional treat.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

If it's 'be anal about everything day' then that really depends on where you live. The salt in coke isn't at a dangerous level but they do add some so what does that tell you? They're definitely not trying to quench your thirst.
    What? There's less sodium in a can of coke than there is in a glass of milk. Of course it quenches your thirst. And what's dangerous about sodium? It's a required nutrient? I'm just not getting the point you're trying to make.