Workout for Ab's after baby

Options
Can someone give me direction as to what exercises (abs) I can do at home that will help tone my muffin top? I have 2 kids, and have a flap of fatty skin that hangs over my undies. What can I do to tone my lower belly?????

Replies

• Briaboo4
    Briaboo4 Posts: 1,080 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue!

Unfortunately, you can't 'target' your muffin top or tummy because it's impossible to spot reduce. You will need to do cardio in order to burn away the fat....but your body chooses where it comes from. My best advice is to do what I'm doing: Work hard, eat healthy and be patient. Eventually your tummy and muffin top will go away. (Of course, you can do exercises to strengthen your abs in the meantime....planks are really good, as is keeping your core engaged at all times.)

p.s. I've been at it for a month and have have only lost 1/4 of an inch from my tummy/muffin top....I've lost everywhere else though. Just remember that it takes time.
  • stephanie1133
    stephanie1133 Posts: 211
    Options
    I had a baby almost 5 months ago now, but have only been working to get weight off for the past 8 weeks. I do ab workouts, but for the goal of stregnthening my core. As far as spot reduction --- nothing you can do. I put in a lot of cardio and work hard with my diet, and have seen the muffin top and post baby belly start to shrink away slowly, I still have a lot of weight to lose (not just baby weight either). Your body will take fat from where it wants to take fat.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Core exercise are keep to building a good foundation but lowering body fat is what is key. You can do all the crunches in the world but if you have a layer of fat they won't show. Now with that said, you need to form a small deficit from your TDEE (total amount of calories you burn throughout the day including exercise, metabolic rate and daily lifestyle) and more importantly, you need to do HEAVY weight training... so much your muscles fail at 8-12 reps. Cardio is good for burning calories but it doesn't compare to heavy weight training. I say this because a lot of cardio will lead to muscle loss which will make it harder for those abs to protrude through. Below is a good article on fat loss vs weight loss. You are at the stage where fat loss is more important.

http://www.metaboliceffect.com/topic/38-nutrition-lifestyle.aspx
  • TinkrBelz
    TinkrBelz Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Core exercise are keep to building a good foundation but lowering body fat is what is key. You can do all the crunches in the world but if you have a layer of fat they won't show. Now with that said, you need to form a small deficit from your TDEE (total amount of calories you burn throughout the day including exercise, metabolic rate and daily lifestyle)

I agree with all of this. I will tell you what I have done. I have 6 kids, ages 17-2 (almost 3) I gained 50-60lbs/baby.

Now, I do still have the stretch marks and some loose tummy skin, but it looks a lot better than it did 4 months ago. I am just going to copy and paste from my Blog because I get asked a lot since I have so many kids.

Moms are super busy, so make sure whatever workout you do, is worth every minute. If you do a treadmill, work it! Zumba class, shake that butt and hips....make every minute count because we do not have the luxury of spend hours in a gym. Also, my Zumba class that I teach is really different. I do incorporate a lot of calisthenics to work and strengthen our muscles. All muscles that I have are from that or my little 8lbs dumbbells....that is it. I do not have the time to teach my classes and lift weights.

THIS IS WHAT I DO NOW:

1. I teach Zumba 8x/week. Since I am the teacher, I have designed my class to work my muscles and for cardio.

2. I eat 1600-1800 calories per day. 100-120 carbs/day and 130-150 protein/day I do not worry about the fat that I eat.

3. I dry brush my skin before every shower. Google it...it is suppose to regenerate your skin.

4. I eat 1 Tbsp Virgin Coconut Oil/day. Either in my oatmeal or melt it in my protein shake. It is suppose to be good for our skin and hair, but Google it as well.

5. I put Coconut oil all over my skin every day. I use the cheaper grocery store coconut oil for this.

6. I do planks and ab vacuums. I can see that this has pulled my abs in. Instead of looking bloated, my tummy is a lot flatter. You can Youtube ab vacuums. They do look a little freaky and I can not do them as good as the people on Youtube, but I can tell that I am getting better at it.

7. I drink 1T of Apple Cider Vinegar with 2 cups of water/day. I do this because I notice that I do not have as much tummy bloat.

8. I cheat every Friday and eat what I want....my weakness is Sonic Blast or Milkshake!! YUM This is great for me mentally because I do not cheat during the week because I know that I get to eat it on Friday. Also, I have read a lot about carb cycling or spiking our calories and this is my way of doing that. So far, Cheat Friday has not caused me to gain weight or stalled my weight loss.
  • Embera
    Embera Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    i know you cany spot reduce but to tone it i would do the reverse crunch
  • katharineshalia
    katharineshalia Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I am a stay-at-home mommy to three, with an 8 month old. I do not have alot of time to devote to tummy exercise, nor do I teach zumba, ha. Anyway, try out Tiffany Rothe 10 minutes booty shaking waist on youtube. Believe me, you will thank me! It's easy, it's core strength, and you don't have to worry about dancing all over the house and accidently stepping on someone. Good luck!
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Core exercise are keep to building a good foundation but lowering body fat is what is key. You can do all the crunches in the world but if you have a layer of fat they won't show. Now with that said, you need to form a small deficit from your TDEE (total amount of calories you burn throughout the day including exercise, metabolic rate and daily lifestyle) and more importantly, you need to do HEAVY weight training... so much your muscles fail at 8-12 reps. Cardio is good for burning calories but it doesn't compare to heavy weight training. I say this because a lot of cardio will lead to muscle loss which will make it harder for those abs to protrude through. Below is a good article on fat loss vs weight loss. You are at the stage where fat loss is more important.

http://www.metaboliceffect.com/topic/38-nutrition-lifestyle.aspx

This. This. This.
  • kadins_momma07
    kadins_momma07 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    6. I do planks and ab vacuums. I can see that this has pulled my abs in. Instead of looking bloated, my tummy is a lot flatter. You can Youtube ab vacuums. They do look a little freaky and I can not do them as good as the people on Youtube, but I can tell that I am getting better at it.

I didn't know what ab vacuums were so I had to look it up on youtube...wtf!? The video I watched looked so weird and gross lol. Not being a b*itch or anything, it is just new to me and I was a little creeped out! What exactly does that do? Is it kind of the same concept as holding your abs in when you walk and sit down? That was a little extreme.
  • kadins_momma07
    kadins_momma07 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I am a stay-at-home mommy to three, with an 8 month old. I do not have alot of time to devote to tummy exercise, nor do I teach zumba, ha. Anyway, try out Tiffany Rothe 10 minutes booty shaking waist on youtube. Believe me, you will thank me! It's easy, it's core strength, and you don't have to worry about dancing all over the house and accidently stepping on someone. Good luck!

Thanks for sharing this! I just checked out her channel and watched the Beautiful Booty workout...definitely looks like something I'll be interested in and will have to try her other videos too...my husband might wanna watch me do that one LOL (but too bad I don't let him watch me workout, haha)
  • TinkrBelz
    Options

I didn't know what ab vacuums were so I had to look it up on youtube...wtf!? The video I watched looked so weird and gross lol. Not being a b*itch or anything, it is just new to me and I was a little creeped out! What exactly does that do? Is it kind of the same concept as holding your abs in when you walk and sit down? That was a little extreme.

They work that core and they pull your muscles in. You actually pull your muscles in, you are not holding your breath. But you are right...they are very weird looking....and mine look nothing like that at all. Arnold Schwarzenegger was famous for doing this in his competitions. Look at his poses and you will see how he pulls his abs in where a lot of body builders look like their abs are bulky.
    try out Tiffany Rothe 10 minutes booty shaking waist on youtube.

I have not looked this up, but it sounds great for moms at home. It was hard for me to do things at home because with 6 kids, I felt like I always had to do something, or the kids would climb on me. BUT, this video sounds really good. I know that I incorporate some hip hop abs moves into my classes....and all this is is pumping your hips to music...each move is like doing a crunch.

I should add, I have only been teaching Zumba for a year now...I started at age 41 and after I already had 6 kids. It really just dropped into my lap, the gym needed a new teacher and so they trained me. But, I do understand how time is very limited to moms, working moms and stay at home moms....just no enough hours in the day!!
  • katharineshalia
    Options
    No problem, I think you'll like the results. It's easy to stick to. I have been doing the 10 minute video ave. every other day for about four weeks and I just threw out (donated) all my size 12 clothes, yay! If you do it every day the first week or so, you will see a difference. Let me know how it goes :)
  • katharineshalia
    Options
    to TinkrBelz, sorry, I didn't mean to be rude, if you've had 6 kids and are teaching zumba at age 41, I have nothing but respect for you. Is that a picture of your booty? Because if it is maybe I should get to the nearest Zumba class!
  • TinkrBelz
    Options
    to TinkrBelz, sorry, I didn't mean to be rude, if you've had 6 kids and are teaching zumba at age 41, I have nothing but respect for you. Is that a picture of your booty? Because if it is maybe I should get to the nearest Zumba class!

No problem...I guess people think, "Oh she teaches Zumba, so of course she is thin!" haha! But, yes, I am now 42 and have 6 kids. My youngest will be 3 in July. I really had to work extra hard because the weight did not come off with my last child because she was a girl (weight distributed totally different than my 5 boys) and 2. I was 41. Lots of jiggly parts. I got tired of making the excuse that I had 6 kids and was too old to be back into shape, so I joined the gym last January. By May of that year, they offered me to teach Zumba there. The classes grew so much that we went from 4 morning classes to 8 classes per week..

And that is my butt too...so are those back muscles...all of that from pumping my hips!! haha! :wink:
  • qtiekiki
    qtiekiki Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I do the 12 min bodyrock.tv workouts. They are essentially intervals of full body exercises and plyometrics with weights (you can do bodyweight). The site and the workouts might seem overwhelming at first, but it's really not bad since you can modify to your fitness level.
  • SweetNaughtyLips
    SweetNaughtyLips Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I am so impressed by all of the mothers that have transformed their bodies into something so beautiful after giving birth to their beautiful children! You motivate me to keep working hard and soon I will reach my goal too!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options

Keep in mind, you dont' need to do ab exercise to have defined abs. When you workout, you do want to try and keep your abs tight (by pulling the belly button in) and it will work the abs. Other ab exercise just reinforce the body to give you a strong core. Other programs like Tony Horton's 10 minute trainer work well too.
  • Emcortes1
    Emcortes1 Posts: 9 Member
    Options

I literally BURST out laughing when I read this!! Who hasn't accidently stepped on someone while trying to exercise at home!! Thank yoU!!
  • emily356
    emily356 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I have a big "hang down" of skin at the bottom, too. I am gonna get to my goal weight/fitness level, then get a tummy tuck consult... That skin isn't going anywhere!!! It isn't fat...:( BUT I will say my belly keeps going down in inches. My muscles are really separated, but I keep losing the fat that is over them and keep working on my abs/core and it is helping a lot!! I am gonna check out those 10 min videos to incorporate!;)