5"2 Calorie Advice

Options
Hi, I'm 5"2 and I fluctuate from 104-110lbs. I'm pretty happy with my weight just looking to maintain and get fit. I calculated on MFP that my daily calories should be 1450 to maintain. I am having trouble staying under that. On a good day, I still eat around 1650-1800! So I have two questions for other 5"2 ladies out there:

1. Do you find you are able to maintain higher than 1450 per day?
2. If not, do you have any good advice about workouts that increase your metabolism allowing you to eat more than 1450 per day?

Thanks!
Just another short girl who wants to eat like a tall girl... :)

Replies

• Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2" and eat 1600-1800 per day and lose weight.
  • runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Ditto Nerdy_Rose.

I'm on 1628 calories to lose.
  • AmyLRed
    AmyLRed Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    How active are you? 1450 is low, unless you are not working out at all. Check out www.fat2fitradio.com and look at the BMP and TDEE calculators. I am 5'1" and eat 1500-1800. (And thats to lose, not to maintain!)
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    How active are you? 1450 is low, unless you are not working out at all. Check out www.fat2fitradio.com and look at the BMP and TDEE calculators. I am 5'1" and eat 1500-1800. (And thats to lose, not to maintain!)

This.

I'm 5'2, 115 and I grew out of the MFP suggestions quickly. I now eat 1600-1800 and I'm losing after a long stall with the 1200 again. I'm even going to up it more bc I want to maintain now not lose.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2, 100.5, 21% bf (as of yesterday) and I'm nursing an injury. I can't even walk for very long. I've been able to maintain/lose only by eating between 1100 and 1200 most days and doing Intermittent Fasting. I'm also older so I have a slower metabolism.

I'm posting so you have an idea of the range of calories.
  • 1a1a
    1a1a Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    5'1, started on 1290, maintaining on 1770 at the moment on the other side of a half a year of HIIT, strength training and cardio. Turbofire and lifting weights are good ways to boost metabolism.
  • katzav
    katzav Posts: 67
    Options
    i'm 5'2" and when i'm working out ALOT i can eat about 1,500 cals. i have to eat only about 1,200 cals or i won't lose anything when i'm not working out 5 days per week. BUT, i am 40 years old which i think makes a HUGE difference. when i was in my 20s i could eat all day long and not have much of a problem if i kept active! hope this helps!
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    i'm 5'2" and when i'm working out ALOT i can eat about 1,500 cals. i have to eat only about 1,200 cals or i won't lose anything when i'm not working out 5 days per week. BUT, i am 40 years old which i think makes a HUGE difference. when i was in my 20s i could eat all day long and not have much of a problem if i kept active! hope this helps!

I'm older than you and my experience has been similar. It think it's important for younger people to know that as we get older our metabolisms do tend to slow down. So if losing weight is hard in your 20s or 30s, think about what it will be like later on.

One reason I tried to keep my weight down (I used to be in the 90s) was I figured that if I ever got injured or gained a lot weight I would have a lot of trouble taking it off.. I have examples, too: Everyone in my family.

In sum, 1,200 is not some crazy low number. It's someone's valid calorie max.
  • sarahsxt
    sarahsxt Posts: 66
    Options

My minimum is 4 times a week doing 30 minutes a day of cardio. Regularly, I am doing either 90 minutes of power yoga or 30 minutes of cardio and 30 minutes of attempted weight lifting at the gym every day. Lately, I've been feeling under the weather, so I have been sitting at home all day.

So while I'm not super, super active, I do work out with breaks in between due to various life reasons.
  • snowgrrl83
    snowgrrl83 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I'm 5ft2, about 104lbs and I can lose weight at 1600 calories per day. I usually eat about 1400-1800 calories per day from Monday to Friday, but on Saturday and Sunday, I splurge and usually eat around 2500 calories.
  • alexandria412
    alexandria412 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2" and fluctuate between 114 and 118. I aim for 1300-1400 calories daily...although after reading the posts of others, I'm considering upping it a bit.
  • jequirity
    jequirity Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I am so happy to see that some girls are losing weight on more. I just can't only eat 1,200-1,400 calories. I always end up feeling starved on that amount right now.
  • StacyReneO
    StacyReneO Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I'm am just under 5'4", 114 and stay around 1200. But I am also 43 yrs old and have a slower metabolism.