I gave up...

Options
Ok so I decided I really had to do something about my weight, I was over 200lbs and unhappy but never really had any motivation to loose weight and I thought I would always start 'tomorrow' finally this January, that 'tomorrow' came and I really went for it! Some weight came off very slowly but I was ok with that because I wanted it to come off slowly and stay off! I even started jogging and within a few weeks could do a straight 20mins, I was finally getting fit.
THEN
My partner and I moved house a month ago and with all the stress of that, we started smoking again.. and it had been 9 months since we gave up! we have also had lots of take away's because we were getting in from work so late and it was just easier...

so within a month i was smoking again, eating bad and not doing any exercise! and I dont know where to start!!! I know I need to just get back on it but its so depressing knowing i have to start all over again and that if i had just kept it up I would be so much nearer my goal by now :(

I AM going to start jogging again tonight.. i MUST!!! eeeeeekkk!

Has anyone else lost motivation along the way? how did you get back on it?

Replies

• Simone_King
    Simone_King Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    At square one. Start by quitting smoking, getting healthily, and then began to exercise again.
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    Nope, I'm not a giver upper. No matter what's going on, it's not greater than my health.
  • RVfrog
    RVfrog Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    QUIT smoking....look at the money you are burning up save that and buy something for your house or buy healthier food. What is more important
  • Klamber26
    Klamber26 Posts: 212
    Options
    Medical data shows that exercising while smoking helps reduce the effects smoking has on the body and lungs. So keep exercising, even if you're having trouble quitting!
  • myrahonbarrier
    myrahonbarrier Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Just like you did the first time around....you have to DECIDE in your head that you are ready to be healthy and then just do it, one step at a time.

But if your head is not in it, it's a futile effort. It is a conscious decision that you are DONE being unhealthy and over weight.
  • Zerase
    Zerase Posts: 2
    Options
    I've struggled with my weight since giving birth to my daughter 8 years ago. Before my pregnancy, I was 148lbs and a combination of sedentary lifestyle (office work, coming home then sitting down all evening) and lack of knowledge about nutrition has seen me creep up to 252 lbs in those 8 years.

Next year I will be turning 30 and I looked back over my twenties and just felt disappointment. I didn't do anything, I didn't go anywhere and I had become so very very lazy in all areas of life. I didn't want to see in my thirties looking the way I do and I felt so determined that it was different from all the other times I half attempted.

I stopped smoking in February and never looked back and on my 29th birthday in April, I took lots of photos of myself and said, that's it - let's do this. On my 30th birthday, I WILL look a hell of a lot better than I do now.

I've lost 8 lbs so far but more importantly, I'm relaxed about the changes I'm making and incorporating them as a way of life rather than feeling like I have to force myself to do this or suppressing myself not to eat that. A little of anything I fancy, eating more often but in smaller quantities - I even replaced my large dinner plates for smaller ones as my ability to judge portion sizes is woefully inadequate.

My daughter is on board and is loving seeing her mum being able to start playing tag now. We're making it a point to go to the quieter parks where I feel less exposed so that I can play football or basketball with her without fearing mocking looks off people. I'm doing 30-40mins on my Wii everyday and reaching the point where I can't wait till the next one.

I'm not sure why this time is different to all the others but this year, I just know that it's going to change and I'm going to change and even though I'm still 244 lbs atm - I can feel my body getting fitter, my skin getting clearer and my lungs working better.

I'm not sure what to say to motivate you but I hope at least by explaining my own way might perhaps give you some ideas?

One final thing I would say to you is that starting over again, even if it's from scratch is still better than doing nothing at all. If you do nothing, nothing will change - if you do something, no matter how small - it will have a positive impact on your health and your wellbeing.

Best of luck to you xx
  • w8wtchr
    w8wtchr Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Start by eating better just for today. You can do anything for just one day. Once you start eating better you will feel better about yourself and then everything will fall back into place. Easier said than done I know, but you can do this. You have proven it since January. Everyday is a new day, If you faulter (notice I said faulter, not fail) put it behind you. It is in the past, you can't do anything abut it now, so move forward. When I slip I say to myself 'nothing tastes as good as think feels.'
    Stay positive. Look at old pictures, look at how far you have come and be proud of yourself for that.
    Good luck
  • cjhart81
    cjhart81 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your comments.. I will start today.. take each day as it comes and know that each day it will get easier..
  • schillewis
    schillewis Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Start by eating better just for today. You can do anything for just one day. Once you start eating better you will feel better about yourself and then everything will fall back into place. Easier said than done I know, but you can do this. You have proven it since January. Everyday is a new day, If you faulter (notice I said faulter, not fail) put it behind you. It is in the past, you can't do anything abut it now, so move forward. When I slip I say to myself 'nothing tastes as good as think feels.'
    Stay positive. Look at old pictures, look at how far you have come and be proud of yourself for that.
    Good luck

This is great advice!!!
  • myjourney2
    myjourney2 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Good luck

This is great advice!!!

Yes, this!
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    I feel like quitting a lot lately. I am losing steam and motivation...but I won't stop because I don't want to start over again.

Eating right and exercising is for life! <-- This is what I keep telling myself anyways! lol
  • JenMarie8781
    JenMarie8781 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Nope, I'm not a giver upper. No matter what's going on, it's not greater than my health.

This exactly! I USED TO be like that but not anymore. Sometimes I get the urge to "give up" or binge or say "screw it" in the heat of the moment when I am upset or stressed out but I have learned how to fight it! I quit smoking AND started my weight loss journey at the same time. It has now been 13 months since I quit smoking and I've lost 90 pounds... AND I stopped biting my nails! lol. If I can do it, anyone can!
  • shel1103
    shel1103 Posts: 189 Member
    Options

mackeric - I've seen your responses on a couple of posts lately. I know you aren't perfect, so why act as is you are on these forums. People are looking for some support, not to be scolded if they've fallen off a little.

You're lucky I love your helmet in your picture. : )
  • LadyIntrepid
    LadyIntrepid Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Get support. Go to group classes at a gym. Get a trainer. Enroll in a small group fitness program. Nothing like the active support of others who are doing the same thing and are rooting for you. It is sooooo hard to do this on one's own.
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    It's all mental. You just got to want it bad enough. "Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels".
  • lvng_lf
    lvng_lf Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    replace your habits permantley. don't think "when I lose weight I can smoke and eat what I want again"

it's been said a lot but I'll repeat it - it's a lifesyle change, not a temporary thing. just do it. look forward and don't mourn the lost of your old habits or yearn for them. move on. take each challenge with a can do attitude. see yourself accomplishing moving, stressful job, etc with the outcome you want and then put it into practice. good luck!!
  • guardian419
    guardian419 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I've dropped the ball a few times on working out, and what has worked for me is just going. Just that one day, say 'f*** it, I'm working out NOW' and do it. Its worked for me every time.

And always remember, it is a lot easier to STAY in shape than it is to GET in shape. Being in the military, there are always a group of us who would start working out hardcore for 2-3 months to get in weight standards so we don't get kicked out, and then as soon as we passed the physical fitness assessment, got fat again. I'm 1 month past the PFA and working out almost daily, and I've never felt better :)
  • tasoconnor
    tasoconnor Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I needed to hear this too. I am nearly in the same boat. Only no smoking.
  • Lane1012
    Lane1012 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I just tried to eliminate the excuses I'd give myself. Cut out the "yeah but's".

I ate too much today, yeah but it was a friends birthday and we were out .. I went way over my calories today, yeah but it I had a really stressful day ... and so on etc. You're going to have bad days. Accept it but don't try and justify it and get back on the horse.

Only you can prevent forest fires.
  • Emancipated_Tai
    Emancipated_Tai Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I started to lose weight in 2008 after getting to 232. It took about three months, but I lost 50lbs and was looking GREAT!! Then, I got laid off and had to move out of state with my parents. I put on about 70 pounds in the 6 months when I was back at home (EEEK!!!). I returned to Florida, in 2009 I was a good 260 pounds. I dropped (and gained back) about 20 of that, but I knew that I needed to do something long-term, but I was just too lazy. Then last year I seen a picture of me when I was in Miami. I was NOT pleased! I decided that I was not going back to Miami (which is only a 3 hour drive) until I could put on a bathing suit. It’s now been 9 months and I've lost a total of 52 pounds with about 40 more to go. I expect to have them gone within the next 6 months for my birthday.

For me, it took not only knowing that I needed to do something about my weight, but also seeing myself in pictures. At my highest weight I didn't look in the mirror much. However, a photo is a photo.. it doesn't lie! Hopefully you can get the motivation you need to help you come back on your journey.