Low Carb - High Protein

Options

Replies

• SunnyFitt
    SunnyFitt Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I added beans to my diet to help take in proteins and get rid of some carbs. Chicken beans, soya beans, black beans, red lens...
  • MrsSmith2012
    MrsSmith2012 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    -100-200g chicken
    -200g spinach (cooked)
    -Good shake of tumaric
    -Good shake of cumin
    -Garlic (paste or clove)
    -A little ginger paste (to taste)
    -100ml water

Pre-cook the chicken (you could grill, oven, dry fry - whatever!). Add the chicken onto a prewarmed frying pan, add the spinach into a pan precooked (frozen stuff is ideal, just micro 200g for 5 mins) and the spices. Add the spices to taste with the water and mix and reduce til in a curry like mixture. Plate it up.

A curry with almost zero carbs and very high protein. Jobs a goodun!

This sounds really yummy! We are definitely going to give this a try.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    Also -- Swai (white fish). This is a fantastic fish for grilling and takes only minutes to prep.

I use olive oil, juice of 1/2 a lemon, and cajun seasoning or Old Bay.

4 minutes each side on a medium heat gas grill. fab!

4 oz = 70 cal (plus the oil), 0 gr carb, 15 gr protein.
  • jennifer52484
    jennifer52484 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Grilled chicken
    Eggwhites
    Protein shakes(some brands are fairly low carbs but check the label before buying)
    Turkey
    veggies

Last night I had an egg white omelet with sliced mushrooms and spinach. I added 1 chopped pepperochini(similar to a banana pepper) for a kick. It was amazing and it was high protein low carb and low fat.
  • BubbleGumKisses
    BubbleGumKisses Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jenna0215
    jenna0215 Posts: 62
    Options
    This site has a low carb group that I am in. It is a great group. Very supportive, filled with tons of information and recipes.
  • kylTKe
    kylTKe Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I think some people said that eggs don't have carbs which is not true, they have like 2g each. Also some people said beans, which have a lot of carbs in them.

Personally I find the real issue is avoiding high carb foods as opposed to specifically eating low carb foods. I think if you just avoid flour and sugar completely then your carb intake will go way down. Meaning no pasta, bread, rice, wraps, croutons, muffins, soda, cake, etc etc...

Milk also has some carbs.
  • CallieM15
    CallieM15 Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    Thats what my diet is like...

Protiens:
    Grilled chicken
    Eggs, (boiled, scrambles, Fried, Deviled..)
    Steak
    FISHFISHFISH
    Shrimp!
    Wings
    Ribs

Veggies:
    Broccoli
    Spinach
    Asparagus
    Cucumbers

On days where I cant get in 1200 calories, I have the higher fat meats like steak and ribs.
  • Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    I make mini fritattas - I have a recipe in the database for a ham, swiss cheese and artichoke heart one in a mini muffin in. Makes for a great snack idea or appetizer. I will make them with brocolli and cheese, bacon and sundried tomatos, they are fun to get creative with!
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I have found since trying to lower my carbs and increase my protein my fats and cholesterol has gone up.

You should expect to eat more fat if you want to keep the same calories at lower carb intake. There's a limit to how much protein we can use so at some point you'll be exchanging 9g of carbs for 4g of fat and might want to set your ratios accordingly.
  • DANCHAN1
    DANCHAN1 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Ofcourse meat and veggies my problem was trying to find side dishes but I now use cauliflower and it is great.. You can make mashed cauliflower and tastes like mashed potatoes or cauliflower rice.

They taste pretty close to the real thing and is fibre healthy as well.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I don't want to add junk to my diet just to make up my calories but I'm quite weak even though I have energy. I'm tempted to give up and increase my carbs even though I'm having noticeable results. Does anyone have any ideas especially high protein snacks?

Nuts !
  • stephaniekneld
    Options
    Sauerkraut and pork
    chicken breasts with pesto
    chicken breasts with cheese and salsa
    cabbage soup ( 1/2 head of cabbage, 1 green pepper, 1 onion, 1 14 oz. can diced tomatoes, and chicken broth... season to taste)
    Greek Salad
    Egg salad
    Deviled eggs
    Stuffed jalepenos
    Hamburgers with all the fixings but no bun
    Pickles wrapped in hamburger or turkeyburger with spices
    Kabobs
    Taco salad
    Stuffed green peppers
    Fahitas
    Shrimp scampi
    Cauliflower crust pizza

I make a meat, and fill1/2 my plate with a salad of some kind, and a hot veggie... asparagus, green beans, marinated veggies... I never want or lack diversity in my meals.
  • Claysmommy08
    Options
    Thank you all so much. There is some great advice and tips here! You rock!
  • MrsLVF
    MrsLVF Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Tilapia 4oz & green beans4 oz =150 calories. 24g protein, 5 carb
  • Fit_Forever25
    Fit_Forever25 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Boiled Egg whites
    Low fat Cottage cheese
    Low fat yogurt
    Whey Protein powder :)
  • jennlowe66
    jennlowe66 Posts: 30
    Options
    Bump
  • slsmoot123
    slsmoot123 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    bump
  • klakers3
    klakers3 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    These are AMAZING!!!!

Pumpkin Protein BarsNutrition Facts:

Nutrition (without walnuts): 1 square = 47 calories, .7 g fat, 8 g carbs, 3.7 g protein

Nutrition (with walnuts): 1 square = 63 calories, 2.3 g fat, 8 g carbs, 4 g protein

These sound delicious! :)
  • crash_clu
    crash_clu Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I have found since trying to lower my carbs and increase my protein my fats and cholesterol has gone up.

If you can get it, try Kangaroo steaks (not sure if it's available outside Australia), very low fat, high in iron, and protein of course.