C25K

Options
I have just downloaded the C25K app from Amazon and I am excited to start the program. Any tips from those who have completed it, and/or are currently doing it would be great!!!

Replies

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Good shoes, stretch before and after and don't skip the warm up or cool down walk....follow the program, don't go beyond the day's program even if you feel you can, and don't be intimidated in the later weeks when the running distances increase - you will be amazed at your progress. Have fun!
  • langurmonkey
    Options
    I did it starting late last October, and felt pretty horrible on the first session. Don't let that put you off - follow it as it says (three times a week) and you will be surprised at how easy it is. I did the first three weeks twice each, then I was good to go from then on. I was pretty unfit to start off with though.

You will probably feel some aches and pains in your shins until you get used to running. As long as your joints don't feel painful this is ok. If your knees hurt I would stop the session and walk it off and rest for a day or so until you feel better.

To give you an idea of how big a difference it makes and how quickly, I ran my first 10k last night (taking it at an easy pace). So that's after about 6 months. I had to have a break over Christmas as I injured my knee (not running don't worry :-) ).

The most important thing is to actually do it! Make half an hour three times a week. It's easy to make time for running as you can just open your front door and start doing it - no gym or locker rooms or anything.

Good luck! And don't give up :-)
  • BabeedollB
    BabeedollB Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Awesome!!! Thanks you all for the replies.
  • shellbee823
    shellbee823 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this! I started yesterday. and my shins hurt like a mofo!!! Ugh! But I am def going to stick with it. this has been a goal of mine for a while. I downloaded the free app from Apple. Feel free to add me and we can work on it together!!!
  • leslie_coker
    Options
    I finished the C25K at the beginning of April and ran my first 5k the week after. Last summer I had to have surgery on my right foot so I needed a program that didn't just throw me into something. The C25K was perfect for that. I can't promise some runs won't be hard, but you CAN do it! You need good shoes, that is such a must. You will hurt if you don't have them, so make the investment, for your joints! You also need good music. I love the app FitRadio, it is free. And google search Run Hundred. I sign up for his newsletter and each week he sends out the top 5 running songs and their beats per minute. Don't worry about speed. Slow and steady wins the race :)

Good Luck sweetie!
  • BabeedollB
    Options
    Thanks again!! I will def download the music apps. I love music!! Lol. Friend request sent Shellbee :)
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    Get good shoes and socks, go for endurance and not speed on the run intervals, focus on taking deep breaths during your walk intervals and plan on running a race when you are done so that you have a goal to work up to! It is a great program, I hope it helps you as much as it helped me!
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    You guys have gotten some great advice for the C25K. It is a great program. Like others have posted, get good gear- shoes, socks, jogging bra if you are a woman, etc. Rest on the rest days, and don't worry about speed yet. Just worry about jogging the intervals slowly.
  • JasonRVA
    JasonRVA Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Yes, don't worry about speed, that will come after you finish the program, if you can jog slower, you are going too fast.. hehe Like someone else said, get that endurance up, and after the program, slowly increase your speed. Good luck, it's a great program!
  • phillieschic
    phillieschic Posts: 615
    Options
    I just graduated from C25K (started Bridge to 10K last night). I loved the C25K program and breezed through it in only 6 weeks.

Good runnig shoes.
    Get your breathing down in the early weeks..and the later weeks, when time is longer, it won't be so bad.
    Don't go too fast.
    Repeat weeks if you have to.
    Believe in yourself. You can totally do this.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I just completed it last week. It's a good program. Don't try to go to fast at first. You need to pace yourself until you build up endurance. Also, don't sweat it if you need to repeat days or weeks. A lot of people do. And get fitted for good running shoes. Your feet and legs will thank you.
  • skb12573
    skb12573 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I just started a few weeks ago. I had the shin problem too but it is slightly better. Now I am feeling the sore muscles so I feel like I need to be extra diligent about stretching before and after! Knees are holding up. I had some swelling in my left knee this week but it has done that off and on regularly for the last 3 years. Going to watch it and see what happens.
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    I'm 1 week out from completing it the 2nd time; this time outside. Next, the B210k. Definetly don't run consecutive days, take 2 days off before starting the next week and stretching before and after. Also it's ok if you need to take a week off or repeat a week. It's not about pace or miles at first but getting into running.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    I had a hard time with it because my general strength and fitness was so poor. I wish I had worked on some strength training for my legs and plain old walking before I got started. It ended up taking me almost a year to complete it - but now I am on to 10Ks.

You can do it.
  • MrsKosal
    MrsKosal Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking about starting it again tonight too! I've done it in the past, but never finished.
  • toofat2toofit
    toofat2toofit Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I'd like to do this program as well, but I've been putting it off because I'm kind of intimidated. Feel free to add me! We can encourage one another.
  • brasskim
    brasskim Posts: 39
    Options
    I just finished Week 5, Day 2. I don't stretch before, I warm up for a minute or two and then start. Yes, the 5 minute warm up would probably do the same thing but other than my shins, I haven't injured myself so it works for me. I stretch out when I'm done. My shins killed me the first few weeks. Ice them afterwards and definitely take a day off in between.

Repeat a week if you need to or a day. I repeated wk5day2 this morning because Sunday when I tried it, it just sucked. I was out on a trail and it was just way to hilly (steep hills) and rocky to be successful. Luckily I only rolled my ankle once.

I wear Reebok ZigNano and LOVE them. They are much lower profile show and am surprised by how much I like them. I recently tried on the big cushiony running/cross training shoes I normally would have and did not like them at all.

Oh and I've been doing Zumba and other workouts since January and that has definitely helped with out how successful I've been in completing the weeks and days. I would highly recommend adding other cardio and strength into your week aside from this.
  • BabeedollB
    Options
    You guys and gals rock!!! thanks for all the advise and encouragement!! Wish I had found this site years ago!!!
  • BabeedollB
    Options
    *advice
  • tyoung8
    tyoung8 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Whats the apple app?!! Please do share!