sugar! how to cut the fruit / veg?

Options
Hi

I have only just started and have put my menu plans for the week into the tracker and I am coming up over my sugar level proctically every day (as high as 10 one day). They are just coming from fruit (which I have limited to 3 portions a day) and veggies.

Firstly, is this normal / common? How do I try and reduce the sugars?

I am a lactose intollerant celiac so eat quite a lot of veggies and generaly eat low grain carb so use roots a fair bit, but I cant just start eatting more rice / grains as they dont 'agree' with me.

Any advise appreciated

Thanks.

Replies

• Swopkin
    Swopkin Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Wouldn't worry too much about the sugar intake from fruit or vegetables. They generally don't spike your blood sugar and they aren't bad for you in any way.
  • misspgreenwood
    Options
    thanks - just wanted to check as its a big RED number...Im struggling to get my calories in without the fruit
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    You could change the sugar limit... or stop tracking it.
  • misspgreenwood
    Options
    You could change the sugar limit... or stop tracking it.

Oh I didnt realise I could do that. I wouldnt know what was a reasonable sugar limit! thanks for the tip though.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
  • tamsinwhitfield
    tamsinwhitfield Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I go considerably over on my sugar allowance on a daily basis, and 95% of that sugar is from fruit. I generally ignore it - I know where it's coming from, and I know it's preferable to eating a pint of ice cream.
  • shaynak112
    shaynak112 Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    Fruit does have a lot of sugar in it. Eating more veggies than fruit is preferred. But fruit is still good for you. It's my favourite snack, instead of something bad like ice cream, cookies, etc.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Unless you are diabetic, sugar doesn't matter. Keep your carbs and total calories in check, and your sugar will, by default, be fine.