So using this example your totals for the day would be about
    1300 calories
    161g protein
    87g carbs
    36g fat
  • cadency
    cadency Posts: 51
    Options
    The trick to fats is trying to get good fats. There are fats that work to raise HDL (good) cholesterol and lower LDL (bad) cholesterol. Pistachios, for example. Almonds. I've switched my peanut butter to almond butter and my milks to almond milk. Blue Diamond has this great unsweetened vanilla almond milk. 40 calories in 8 ounces. Yum.

I've switched to following mostly paleo diet. I don't watch my carbs obsessively when they are coming from the unlimited fruits and vegetables part of the deal. I don't feel that paleo is so much about being low carb as it is about being the right carbs. Additionally, also the right meats.

Both paleo cookbooks and primal blueprint diet have great recipes and cookbooks to look into to! :)
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Meat, fish or eggs, with plenty of veggies.
  • MrsLVF
    MrsLVF Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Protein-Carbs-Fats-Calories

Breakfast Ideas
    1)
    1/2 Egg whites 12g-2g-0g-60cals
    1/4 cup reduced mozzerella 8g-1g-5g-70cal
    2)
    2 Morning Star Breakfast patties16g-8g-6g-160cal
    Walden Farm Pancake syrup 0g-0g-0g-0cal

Snack:
    1/2 Locarb Pita 3g-4g-1g-30cal
    1tbsp Teddie Organic Peanut butter 4g-4g-8g-96cal

Lunch
    2 cups spring mix lettuce 3g-3g-0-10cal
    Kens Lite sun dried tomato dressing 0g-6g-4g-60cal
    Deli Turkey-no preservatives 4slices(chopped) 15g-1g-1g-80cal

Snack
    Protein shake 51g-7g-2g-240cal
    55 Goldfish Crackers 4g-20g-5g-140cals

Dinner
    4oz grilled chicken 44g-0g-9g-260cal
    Greenbeans 1cup 2g-7g-0g-35cal

Snack
    Chobani Greek Non-Fat Plain 6oz 18g-7g-0g-100cal
    1/2 blueberries 1g-11g-0g-41cals

So using this example your totals for the day would be about
    1300 calories
    161g protein
    87g carbs
    36g fat
    Who makes the low carb pita?
  • vicki81868
    vicki81868 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Have you tried Quest Protein Bars yet? The non-fiber carbs are very low (from 4-6g) and the bars are incredible. Try the Cinnamon Roll. You can even heat it a bit in the microwave or oven first. It's like dessert!

www.questproteinbar.com
  • DaBossLady24
    DaBossLady24 Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    definite bump!
  • grinditout44
    Options
    I like to make no bake cookies using some chocolate protein powder, a little skim milk, a little peanut butter and a little minute oats. Mix up until you get a consitancy you can glob on to a cookie sheet in a cookie(ish) shape and throw in the fridge. Maybe a little higher carbs than you're after but still an easy, tasty, quick sorce of protein.
  • TheCurvyJ
    TheCurvyJ Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Seafood... fish is high in protein. I love salmon, tilapia and catfish, baked, broiled or cooked on the George Foreman grill. Sautee or broil some broccoli or some Brussels, or I like to stir fry some broccoli slaw or cabbage to pair it with. That's my go to meal right now. Quick and easy and low on carbs.

Good fats are an important part of a controlled carbohydrate/paleo lifestyle. Olive oil, coconut oil, almond butter, clarified butter, walnuts, cashews and almonds are all part of my diet. They are filling, give you good fats and will add calories without adding junk.

I like the 100 calorie packs of walnuts and almonds from Blue Diamond, I think it is. I'm not a big almond fan, so that keeps me from eating too many of them.
  • jennifer52484
    jennifer52484 Posts: 888 Member
    Options

Who makes the low carb pita?

Joseph's -- It might be a local bakery though. Just try to find the lowest carb version i guess.
  • snuffmomma77
    snuffmomma77 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    they are yummy.. good choice and she has other recipes on the website. bodybuilding.com, jamie eason
  • criley09
    criley09 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I love Breakston's Live Active Cottage Cheese - snack packs with Turkey Bacon
  • echarlto
    echarlto Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    My current favorite for lunch or dinner is one-half cup of lower-carb salsa and several ounces of shredded meat. Because there are so many different flavors of salsa in my grocery, I get lots of varieties of flavor. For example, for a meal right off the shelf, I get a small can of Herdez' salsa verde (even got a pull top lid) and a can of chunk chicken or tuna. Microwave for two minutes and you've got an incredibly easy meal. Maybe add some cheese, salad, or veggies for a more complete meal.

I like home-built "pulled" meats. I'll take a multi-pack of chicken thighs or chuck/English beef roast or pork butt and braise it 'til it falls apart. Then I shred it with a couple of forks. For not much time or money, I've got several meals of meat to add to salsa, soups or stews.

I'm also playing with using a pressure cooker. Cooks an entire pork butt or two in one hour. Lotsa meat, little time.
  • StirFriedGiblets
    Options
    Bump
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Are there any carb experts out there? I have found since trying to lower my carbs and increase my protein my fats and cholesterol has gone up. It's been in the red the last few days. Is this bad? My calories are still sitting ok but I've noticed the others creeping up a bit.

Assuming you mean your dietary cholesterol and not your blood cholesterol, then it's probably not bad unless you are also eating a lot of trans or saturated fats.
  • lrdavenport23
    lrdavenport23 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    bump
  • blynnblair
    blynnblair Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    bump :) i'll add ideas later!
  • kari574
    kari574 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    My current favorite for lunch or dinner is one-half cup of lower-carb salsa and several ounces of shredded meat. Because there are so many different flavors of salsa in my grocery, I get lots of varieties of flavor. For example, for a meal right off the shelf, I get a small can of Herdez' salsa verde (even got a pull top lid) and a can of chunk chicken or tuna. Microwave for two minutes and you've got an incredibly easy meal. Maybe add some cheese, salad, or veggies for a more complete meal.
    This would be an easy lunch at work, thanks!