What do I do about excess skin.. a large amount?

Options
I had a baby boy in 2006. Prior to having him i was a heavy girl.. like 190lbs heavy. And only 5'4. The day of delivery i weighed 262 pounds. Here we are 2012 I weigh 175bs. Which is a lot better. Still have about 40-50lbs to be at an ideal. But my stomach is so so stretched out! starting at above my belly button and stretched to as low as the top of my thighs :( Has anyone had this problem? If i didn't have that I'd be about 15-20lbs lighter.. Just really sucks. And what can i do to maybe get rid of some it or hide it well. Looking for tips. Sucks when you've been working so hard and you are still self conscious of the belly! :(

Replies

• nsblue
    nsblue Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    besides an expensive tummy tuck..... all one can do is keep an exercise routine n wear spandex shorts to keep it from hanging/jiggling etc etc. once skin is stretched it loses it's elasticity to a degree...genetics has a play in the factor but there is a cross to bear when one has a past of health neglect....n i say this because I neglected and abused my health for many years n have the excess skin to show for it.
    being healthy outweights that skin any day.... don't sweat it... get that spandex n live....
  • hahandel
    hahandel Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Either surgery or wear a shaper. I use the kohls brand shapers. They are comfy and not that expensive. The loose skin above my belly button has gotten better since I started strength training. It might actually get worse as you lose more weight, sorry to say.

Congrats on your weight loss!
  • mujerebelde
    Options
    Yeah, it totally does! I have the stretch marks all over my belly from two pregnancies as well as from being 'chubby' my whole life...and my arms are no better. Everytime I get caught up in the way the stretched skin looks, I flex my abs and press on them to remind myself of how far I've come and how great I am starting to feel about myself.
    I find going to nude beaches actually helps the ego because the other people who go to nude beaches are not there to judge or stare. I don't think I will ever have the confidence to wear a bikini at a regular beach no matter how toned I get, but there is only so much we can control. We live in a society that will never showcase women with stretch marks in magazines, which is why we have to refuse to let it get us down! By not showing what a real mother's body can look like, they are not honouring us for what we do! We won't ever be best friends with our stretch marks and loose skin, but they are part of who we are. Without going as far as surgery, we can only look at them as reminders of the new life we have brought into this world, as well as the women we used to be.