Eating "clean"... What does it REALLY mean?

I have had two babies in the past two years. I dieted and exercised my butt off (literally) after my first pregnancy (no nursing) and lost about 30 lbs. Exactly one year after my first was born I found out I was pregnant with my second. He is 5 months old now. I have lost ALL my baby weight plus 6 pounds. I am nursing with this baby and I find the weight is sticking to my belly much harder than before. My aunt who has lost 60 lbs. told me the other night that it's because of WHAT I'm eating and the calories are not the issue (even though I'm consistently on or under my goal). The first time I dieted I didn't really add any extra stuff example I would eat blueberry oatmeal with one serving of sugar, this time I eat blueberry oatmeal with one serving of sugar and butter. I add butter, low-fat sour cream, cheese to a baked potato. Something I wouldn't have dared to do when I was dieting the first time ( unless I had ran 5 miles that day). I need to incorporate the extra calories since I am nursing. I am still counting my cals because it's so easy to go over when not paying attention. I'm also exercising pretty intensely (5-6 times a week). I usually eat a chocolate bar once a day also. Anyway I was just wondering why she would tell me that if I've been having good success doing what I'm doing. This time I'm basically eating what I want (having portion control), but still staying at or under my calorie goal. I've been loosing about 1.5 lbs a week which is good for someone who is within the "ideal" weight range, but still wanting to loose about 10 lbs. My mindset at this point is eat whatever I want as long as I stay under my calories...... Good? Bad? Ok people, discuss.

Replies

• victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Make sure you always wash your fruits and veggies!!

Okay jk but clean eating to me is anything in its completly natural state. So everything that has one ingredient is clean. In terms of dairy I consider raw grassfed dairy to be clean.

I do try to eat this way but I probably do it 75% of the time. Its also less for weightloss and for more of an overall feeling of health and well being.
  • i have just started clean eating am eating foods that isnt proccessed x
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    My mindset at this point is eat whatever I want as long as I stay under my calories......

Bingo. I've always done this and it has worked fine for me.

Obviously I try to eat as healthy as possible, i.e. lots of fruits, veggies, and lean meats, but I eat something processed every day, and usually something with (artificial) sweeteners too...and usually a diet Coke - GASP! I am 100% it hasn't made a lick of difference.

I've also seen very successful bodybuilders and trainers on bodybuilding.com who will say the same exact thing. Now, being in contest prep, that might be different. But for the regular day...
  • _hi_hat3r_
    _hi_hat3r_ Posts: 423 Member
    Wash your hands for a full 40 secs before you eat.
  • 130annie
    130annie Posts: 339 Member
    Hi.... I found after my first, my stomach muscles were pretty strong, so they went back fairly easily...For my second, they took longer.....Because my muscles were slacker...

I don't really know what eating clean means..Perhaps eating chicken and vegetables and leaving processed meals out of your diet...Shop around the outside of the store and stay away from the middle, where all the cookies and cakes are...

If you are feeding your baby eat well, because the baby needs good nutritious milk....And you need to build yourself up!
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    You may see a big change shortly after you stop nursing. That is when my stomach went away after both my pregnancies. Eating clean doesn't have a 'real' definition out there, so people basically make up their own rules for how to do it. High level definition though is food that is unprocessed or minimally processed - as close to its natural form as possible.
  • rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    "Clean" means close to its natural state. No boxed or frozen dinners. So if you want mac&cheese that means no box, instead make it from scratch with whole wheat pasta, real cheese and real milk. Old Fashioned or Steel cut Oats instead of the instant flavored packets. Lean meats, real cheese (not pasteurized cheese product), brown rice.
  • PrfctGdess
    PrfctGdess Posts: 257
    To me, 100% "Clean" eating means staying away from as much processed stuff as possible - to me, clean = natural, so fresh fruits/veggies (or frozen if they were just frozen from fresh, not processed/had a bunch of stuff added), lean meats, milk, water, no soda, etc.

Having said that, though, I personally believe in clean-ish eating. :) Yes, I'm trying to incorporate more fresh fruits and veggies into our diet (we always did the lean meats) and I'm trying to cook more of our food ourselves so we aren't using the preprocessed and pre-prepared stuff. A can of chili, or example, is always going to be less healthy for you than what you can make yourself. But I enjoy my sweets occassionally, I still buy Pepsi (not even DIET! Double Gasp! LOL), I just don't consume much of it. Anything in moderation. :)

And just a tip - if you're exercising that heavily and losing at that rate WHILE BFing, make sure you're getting enough water/liquids. :) Sounds to me like you're doling great. :D
  • chicpeach
    chicpeach Posts: 302 Member
    Eating clean means keeping your sodium intake low. Lots of raw, fresh fruits and vegetables, meats are not marinated or sauced. I do still eat cereal for breakfast in the morning and occasionally indulge in processed foods, but it's not the norm.

When you're young and healthy, it's probably no big deal to not this way, but as you age, your body naturally retains more water and this increases your risk of high blood pressure. By eating clean you can reduce or eliminate this risk.

Eating clean is not easy and even tho the Mayo Clinic, hospitals and doctors recommend everyone over 50 and everyone with high blood pressure regardless of age, keep their sodium levels at 1500 or lowers, few people are actually able to do it as a lifestyle.
  • RachelK40
    RachelK40 Posts: 17
    Eating Clean is treating your body right.

It is eating the way nature intended.

You eat the foods our bodies evolved to function best on, and that makes you feel – and look – fantastic.

When you Eat Clean you eat more often.

You eat lean protein, complex carbs, and healthy fats.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member

I like this part from the article

"For those hoping that I’ll tell you to have fun eating whatever you want, you’re in luck. But, like everything in life, you’ll have to moderate your indulgence, and the 10-20% guideline is the best way I’ve found to do this. There currently is no compelling evidence suggesting that a diet whose calories are 80-90% from whole & minimally processed foods is not prudent enough for maximizing health, longevity, body composition, or training performance. As a matter of fact, research I just discussed points to the possibility that it’s more psychologically sound to allow a certain amount of flexibility for indulgences rather than none at all. And just to reiterate, processed does not always mean devoid of nutritional value. Whey and whey/casein blends are prime examples of nutritional powerhouses that happen to be removed from their original food matrix."

This is basically my thinking.
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Eating clean means keeping your sodium intake low. Lots of raw, fresh fruits and vegetables, meats are not marinated or sauced. I do still eat cereal for breakfast in the morning and occasionally indulge in processed foods, but it's not the norm.

When you're young and healthy, it's probably no big deal to not this way, but as you age, your body naturally retains more water and this increases your risk of high blood pressure. By eating clean you can reduce or eliminate this risk.

Eating clean is not easy and even tho the Mayo Clinic, hospitals and doctors recommend everyone over 50 and everyone with high blood pressure regardless of age, keep their sodium levels at 1500 or lowers, few people are actually able to do it as a lifestyle.

Why the low sodium and flavorless food? Its still an essential nutrient and if you dont eat processed its easy to stay under. Last time I tried to go no added sodium I was dehydrated and my blood pressue was low
  • pamfm
    pamfm Posts: 93 Member
    According to my cousin, I mostly eat "clean", though I call it eating whole foods (not WholeFoods!). From what you described, it sounds like you're eating just fine.

My preference is to avoid heavily processed foods*, prepackaged stuff, artificial flavors, or colors, etc. Fillers and pointlessly added fats are a no-no, like peanut butter with more oils (or corn syrup?!) added in. On the other hand, I do eat butter, eggs with their yolks, whole milk, and all kinds of other fatty foods, and real (raw) cane sugar, maple syrup, and honey. It's not fat/sugar/carbs that are bad for you, it's excess. Eating "clean" just makes it harder to unknowingly eat extra fats and sweeteners, and the foods you do eat will generally be more satisfying.

I try to buy organic when I can, because I'm nutty about environmental responsibility and because the organic certification adheres to a stricter standard for quality and labeling. Even more than that I try to buy local whenever possible. Food grown and produced near you has had less time to wilt, spoil, or lose nutrients. Fruits have more time to ripen naturally on the tree. Vegetables are crisper. Eggs, dairy, and meats will be from smaller family farms that can devote more time, and better food to their livestock, which produces a richer and healthier end product for you.

I don't know if that's what everybody means when they say "eat clean"... but that's what I think.

Was your second child bigger? and/or did your belly get bigger than with your first? Maybe your muscles just stretched more, and it will take a bit longer to get them back to where you want.

*My one caveat is that I don't eat meat, and processed fake-meats are part of a compromise between me and my meat-eating husband. :ohwell:
  • Thanks for all the tips/advice. The article was great and I believe indulging as long as it's in moderation..... as for the chocolate bar every day I have a 5 month old and a two year old.... I'm not giving it up!:wink: My two year old favorite food is beans (red, black, butter.... haven't found one she doesn't like so far) if that gives you an idea of the types of food we eat. I haven't had any issues getting her to eat her veggies (probably because it's her only option). My mother tried to give her ravioli the other day and she refused to eat it..... Red beans and talipia for dinner it was ;) We don't eat many packaged or canned meals either. The "unhealthy, high sodium" foods come when we eat out.
  • Pam - weight was the exact same both pregnancies, just carried it differently..... I know, so weird! LOL
  • amybg1
    amybg1 Posts: 631 Member
    'Clean' eating is eating whole foods, I do this maybe 70-75% of the time but am trying to up that percentage. Doesn't necessarily mean watching calories if you need to eat more, just means eating smart.

For example, take Quaker crunch bars (not the chewy/yogurt bars) those are made with whole foods when it comes to grain, fruit, nuts, etc. An even better example (I believe this is a Canadian product but Google if you like nonetheless) is a Taste of Nature bar.

Those bars are Gluten Free, as well as Vegan and have nothing artificial or fillers, no chemicals either - you SEE what the bar is made of in the clear packaging, each bar is about 40g and for some people is considered 'high calorie' if they're looking for something that has 120 cals and under. Here's an example of a box I have; these are Quebec Cranberry Carnival bars.

There's 150 cals, 9g fat (no trans), no cholesterol, 5mg sodium,140mg potassium,,14g carbs,2g fibre,8g sugar and 4 g protein, also has 2% DV of calcium and 6% of Iron.Now while the fat content is a little high, it's healthy fat from nuts.

Ingredients: peanuts,raisins,agave nectar,sesame seeds,almonds,cranberries,apple juice concentrate,sunflower oil,pumpkin seeds,brown rice syrup,whole grain brown rice crisps,cranberry flavor.

Now I'm not promoting the product in any way - just trying to show what 'clean eating' is defined as for me and what kind of products are in there. Now did I say this bar was 100% clean? No...I probably would try and put something other than brown rice syrup in there but it sure is a whole lot cleaner than a lot of boxed snacks you see out there these days
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    I couldn't do much with my weight while I was nursing. My body just wouldn't let it go. Too low of calories would effect my milk supply. It's hard but try not to worry about it too much until you wean. (Unless you plan on nursing the kid until it's 4 like the lady in the Time magazine...)
  • Ha! To each his own. I'm planning on weaning at one year. Seems like a short time to sacrifice just for my tummy lol
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    keep doing what you are doing.

you do not need to eat "clean" in order to lose weight, or be healthy.