How do you stay full without going over calories?

Options
poptastic
poptastic Posts: 151 Member
Recently I've stepped up my exercise in an attempt to shift my ever-growing excess weight. I've been cycling most days anyway and doing yoga for the past year, I'm now also doing a rowing & weights routine at lunchtime. Since I've started doing that though, I come back to the office absolutely ravenous! Not initially - when I first get out of them gym I drink about a pint of water, and then eat my usual lunch (salad with some kind of fish usually). Sometimes also some fruit or nuts. But a couple of hours later, I feel really hungry again! Should I be eating more post-workout? Or am I eating the wrong kind of things? Or do I just need to get used to the feeling of being a bit hungry? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• stroken96
    stroken96 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I drink ice water.
  • impyimpyaj
    impyimpyaj Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    Are you eating the calories you earn through exercise? If not, try it.

If so, try loading up on protein. I'm told that chocolate milk is a perfect post-workout snack, but don't quote me on that. Fruits and veggies are loaded with fiber, which can help you stay fuller longer. And drink your water! Not only will it help you feel more full, but it will replenish the fluids you lose when you work out.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    I eat more protein and work out more so I can eat more.
  • BriskisGrl
    BriskisGrl Posts: 461
    Options
    Have you tried adding protein in there?? Add an egg, grilled chicken, or a protein bar/shake? I love salads and could eat them all day, but I find that a few hours later I'm usually hungry just like with Chinese food.
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    I eat more protein and work out more so I can eat more.

This exactly. Try changing your ratio to 40/30/30 c/f/p and see if that helps!
  • amfmmama
    amfmmama Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    Again...PROTEIN! One hard boiled egg, will keep me full 10x longer than a bagel or a bowl of pasta. I have also heard about the chocolate mik thing.
  • darls25
    darls25 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Include more protein :) It will keep you full longer.
  • ren_ascent
    ren_ascent Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    The only time I've been able to get rid of that constantly hungry feeling is when I break up my meals. So If you're eating a salad, fish and nuts, try having the fish after you work out. Then an hour - hour and a half later eat the salad then an hour later eat the nuts. When I'm really into eating healthy and working out that's the only thing that keeps me from feeling like I'm starving.
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    have a hard boiled egg or an apple. Something that takes a while to digest.
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Are you eating enough? You are eating about 1500 calories per day but not recording your exercise calories. If you are working out hard, you are probably netting too low. I would be surprised if you shouldn't be netting 1500 instead of consuming 1500.
  • twelbies
    twelbies Posts: 31
    Options
    Try eating more frequently. Mini meals help.
  • JonathonMars
    JonathonMars Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I eat around 2000 calories and it doesn't seem to be an issue.
  • weightlosshippie
    weightlosshippie Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Looking at your diary for today, I'd assume you aren't consuming enough food during the morning.
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    Are you drinking enough water? Make sure it's hunger and not thirst.

If you're working out, you need to be eating. Balanced nutrition from a variety of sources. If you are truly that hungry, I would suggest you eat something. Carbs are the body's prefered energy source, so maybe instead of nuts, which are calorie dense and personally not that satisfying, try a piece of fruit or something that interests you. Post workout, keep the fat low. My favorite post workout nutrition is a scoop of protein powder, 40g oatmeal, a little powdered milk and a banana. I eat the banana, and then just add water to the mixer cup once I'm at the office.

A million and 1 ways to get the job done, you just need to find what works for you.

Listen to your body, if you wake up in the morning and you're not hungry, why eat? Save your calories for later in the day if that's what you choose to do.
  • candctaber
    candctaber Posts: 274
    Options
    protien shakes after a wookout are great! Make sure you are eating your calories back, if you are still hungry try eating a large salad, brocolli, califlower, celery- they are very low in calories and very filling. Drink lots of water!

Feel free to add me as a friend!
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    There are a few things you can do:

1. Eat better food. For example, swap out the white bread for wheat or multigrain. Drop out the whole chocolate bar for 1/4 of it and include some nuts (such as almonds). Include a salad with your meals (a good sized salad, without dressing, or with a light dressing, can fill you up while only adding about 100 calories).

2. Eat more food. Are your exercises counted in your allotment somehow? I didn't see any "earned back!" notes, so either you counted them when calculating your allotment in the Goals section, or your not counting them at all.

If you're not counting them, start, and eat back at least some of your earned calories. You have to fuel your workouts, otherwise you are starving your body and it won't want to give up the weight.

If you are counting them, make sure your count is accurate by cross-referencing it with a TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) calculator. I really like this one that another MFPer posted a while back - http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/491087-my-gift-excel-spreadsheet-for-bmr-tdee-cut-build-and-ma . Also, if you spread your calories over the whole week, don't forget to double-check to make sure your calculations are right by doing a little manual math based on being sedentary (ie - if you calculate in either MFP or another calculator that if you are sedentary and your TDEE is 1700cal/day, you would do - ((1700 * 7) + (exercise calories * number of days exercised) / 7) to get your daily calorie allotment that includes exercise.
  • Laura8603
    Laura8603 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    If I feel like I'm STARVING and need something to fill up my tummy or need a crunchy fix, I eat 2 Kim's Magic Pops. 15 calories each and very filling.
  • lecyda
    lecyda Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi! Sounds like you're doing great! I had the same issue when I upped my workouts when I was first trying to lose weight. I found that eating a meal containing high-protein, some fiber and a healthy fat did the trick.The salad and fish for lunch after your workout is a good meal. Getting a high amount of protein after your workouts is really key, not only to aid in recovery, but also to stave off the hunger. Consider a plain fat-free Greek yogurt directly after your hardest workout: Chobani has 18 grams of protein in a 6oz. serving. The fish should have a decent amount of protein and healthy oil, but also consider a tsp of extra-virgin olive oil on the salad as well. Also, make sure you're consuming a lot of water. Thirst can often be disguised as hunger. And yes, though challenging, accepting the feeling of hunger is a good thing. Try saving the fruit and nuts for 2 hours after lunch instead directly after lunch. I can't say how this will effect your daily caloric needs, but it's always best to fuel your body properly after workouts. And remember that veggies have low calories (and are good for you!), so perhaps you could double the bulk of your salad by adding more veggies. Hope this is helpful! Best of luck!
  • nannabannana
    nannabannana Posts: 787
    Options
    bump for other answers....Protein ....protein... i like Reduced sodium string cheese, bec of my hypertension...Boile egg, protein shake...Love to eat turkey by itself.

oh yes WAATER...I drink lots of water..
  • rockinright
    rockinright Posts: 241
    Options
    My biggest challenge hasn't been the food choices so much as portion control. I used to eat just astounding amounts of food, I was probably around 3500 cal/day at least. I'm lucky I didn't weigh MORE than 255 when I started.

Anyway, I'm pretty much always hungry and have just accepted that, although it's SLOWLY getting better. Even now I sometimes have what constitutes 2 portions of certain things if it fits in my daily calorie limit, and those 2 portions seem small to me.