Slow Losses...

Options
Seems like I see topics and blog posts all the time along the lines of "70lbs down in 7 months!" or "1 year and 80 lbs later". While I'm THRILLED for these people, and I'm SURE they've been working harder/more consistently than I have I, I can't help but feel a little bummed out. I've been on MFP and trying to be more serious about my health since about April 2011 - so just over a year - and I'm down 22 lbs.

I love that I've been able to not only take that off but KEEP it off (this is the lowest weight I've been since college), but I still need/want to lose another 30ish (that would put me in the middle of my healthy BMI range). I guess I just want to hear that I'm not the only one losing slowly... :P

Replies

• SmallTownSweetie03
    Options
    Oh you're definitely not the only one! Mine has been yo-yoing up and down for about 2 weeks now, one time I'll have lost and then the next time I'll have gained. I know people that are like "I lost 12 pounds my first month" and I'm thinking I would be happy to have just lost some and not gained it back 3 or 4 times!! lol Good luck to you though! I'll be cheering for you!
  • sbarbry
    sbarbry Posts: 38
    Options
    I completly understand too. I have been up and down with the same 7 pounds for months now. I don't understand what I am doing wrong. I eat the same breakfast every day and my lunch and dinner does not vary too much from day to day. Even though I am staying within my 1500 calories, I eat a lot of snacks thoroughout the day.

Sometimes I feel weight loss is not meant for me:indifferent:
  • Denjo060
    Denjo060 Posts: 1,008
    Options
    Ive been here since Feb and am only down 14lbs and I dont weigh in that often so I probably yo yo some days my clothes feel loose and other days they are tight . I am just glad I have been able to lose some. When I get back from vacation in June I will buckle down again and get serious
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    I just hit 41 lbs in about a year and a half here.

Very slow. Comes out to about 0.5 lb per week loss.

Honestly, every person's journey is different. Just keep working and focus on your fitness and nutrition goals instead of the scale.
  • Mommareed4
    Mommareed4 Posts: 144
    Options
    Your not alone..I lost 60 pounds in a little over a year, but i have been trying to get the last 20 pounds off for about 6 months...and guess how much i lost in 6 months.....NONE! LOL.
  • mcginger1
    mcginger1 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I've been meeting my daily calorie goals, and hitting the treadmill at least 3 times a week, and I've been stuck at the same weight for three weeks now. I'm trying to decide whether to drop my calories further, or increase them and see if my body needs more fuel. When I was on the 1,200/day program, I didn't lose weight then either. It's frustrating and disappointing to be working so hard, and not see the results I'm looking for. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
  • jennifeffer
    jennifeffer Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Me too!! I have even consulted a Dr and a RD about it. I started Jan 2/12. I am down 15 pounds. I only lost one pound in April. I'm very frustrated. But giving up isn't an option.............I keep reminding myself that my body is different from everyone else's and while they may be able to drop 2lb/week, it takes longer for me...............
  • Megdonald1
    Megdonald1 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Darlings,

Do not give up. I am a slow loser too! Try to find OTHER ways to know you are making progress. Are you stronger? Are you breathing better? Are your clothes fitting differently? I have been here for six months and only lost 25 lbs BUT people have started (this week only) making comments about how different I look. I get stuck for weeks and weeks at the same weight or bouncing back and forth and then one week it will go down 2-3 lbs. One post I read said to count weight loss my the MONTH not even by the week because of fluctuations. You can totally do this!! Think TURTLE not HARE!!! Much love to you all!!!

Meg
  • clariangel
    clariangel Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I lose slowly as well. I made the lifestyle switch a year ago last month, and I've lost 34 pounds. Now, technically I was on WW for 10 months and lost just 18 pounds. Then when I swithced to MFP in March of this year, I lost a lot more. But still, overall I lose weight slowly.

But look on the bright side! It means you can wear whatever size clothes you in longer (which I love cause I HATE to shop!), and it's a lot healthier for you overall. :)
  • theresak331
    theresak331 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    5 lbs in 75 days...it can be frustrating!
  • slavaheroyam
    Options
    I've been the same way. Since mid August, I've lost a little over 30lbs. It's great that I've done that, but at the same time it does make you a bit frustrated. I'm just glad that I've gotten as far as I have in terms of my weight loss and not having thrown in the towel.
  • iroze
    iroze Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Excruciatingly slow loser here. 12 pounds in over 4 months. Very frustrating but I can see the results this time around. I was on WW before and did all sorts of crazy diets prior to that, and there was no change at all. So I'm hopeful that things will change - albeit slowly, but surely, because they are already changing.
  • RoosMommy01
    RoosMommy01 Posts: 88
    Options
    I've been on my weight loss journey since Dec 27, 2011 and I just hit my 50lb mark last week BUT I can't seem to lose any more than that! Ever since January I've been up and down and it's really getting annoying. I try not to weigh myself that often because if that number doesn't go down then I feel like giving up. I want to loose at least another 50lbs but would be extremely happy with at least 30lbs more. I only consumer right around 1,200 calories. It feels like I am forcing myself to eat so I think I'm going to start eating only when I'm really hungry.

I would love to loose weight like those other people do but I try not to compare myself to them because everyone is different and more often than not they are probably taking pills or doing other stuff to help them along. I don't care if it takes me another year to loose the other weight...I want to say I did it all on my own without any "extra" help.
  • aimeerocksx3
    Options
    Don't you worry. I've been watching my weight and exercising since the beginning of the year, and I've been fluctuating within 5 pounds. I've only recently began taking monthly measurements, so I'm hoping to see those numbers change more often than the scale.
  • s0ready
    s0ready Posts: 99
    Options
    I'm with ya!!!! 41 lbs in one year!!!!! uhhh! But I just gotta think to myself....well hey, at least I am 40lbs lighter and healthier than I was a year ago, atleast it didn't go the other way and got heavier! And I do know, and I am so proud of myself, that I did stick with this for a year now and haven't given up, and I know that I do have the will power to continue these good habits! It does suck, but just be proud of yourself that you have been able to do this for yourself!!!
  • missingsocks
    missingsocks Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean! I went to the doctor a week ago for my yearly check up. I go exactly 1 year and 1 day after my last one. This appointment I weighed 197 - I asked her what I weighed last year and it was 236. So 39lbs in one year - that's less than a pound a week! I did make a mental goal to be down to 135 by my next check up, but that means I nearly have to double last years loss though!
  • stroken96
    stroken96 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I started MFP June 2011 lost 20some pds quit smoking gained 15 pds, still going to stick with it.
    It will come off just taking longer.
  • frosty73
    frosty73 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean, it can be *so* discouraging to read other people's success stories....
    "I lost 120 lbs in 12 days, and if I can do it, you can too!!!!!!!!!"

Keep your eye on the prize--- health, fitness, and a better you every day. Plus, it should help that according to your profile pic you are *gorgeous* anyway! :smile:
  • lik_11
    lik_11 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with you! I've lost 30 pounds- but it has taken me 9 months. When I read all the posts about phenomenal weight loss in a short time- I get jealous! Then- I remind myself that I'm not depriving myself, and I'm learning to incorporate exercise into my schedule. I am making my lifestyle change- while those dropping super fast are dieting. Easy off = easy back on, which is not what I aspire to do. Good luck- keep on doing what you're doing! We can do this (even if it takes longer than we want!).
  • thetrishwarp
    thetrishwarp Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Trust me, you are not the only one. I've lost 30ish lbs in ~2 years. It is what it is.