Frist time going to the gym... tips? advice?

Options
So I won a gym membership to Max Fitness, and I am super excited to go tonight for the first time. BUT I have never been in a gym before. For all of you gym goers is there any tips or advice you can offer? Anything I should or should not do? should bring? I just don't want to get there and be the idiot that everyone stares at. lol

Replies

• tamsinwhitfield
    tamsinwhitfield Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Do they offer an induction? If so, book one!
  • sid719e
    sid719e Posts: 47
    Options
    Most people are so involved in what they are doing that they probably won't even notice you. Are there personal trainers there - someone that can give you a tour of the gym and explain how to do different exercises? Also, the internet is your friend. Look up ideas for workouts and pay special attention to form and posture. Just some tips that might help.
  • MrsLehman24
    MrsLehman24 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Join group exercise like Zumba. It is fun, holds you accountable and you meet great people that way!
  • ebert5150
    ebert5150 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Bring a small towel to wipe machines down after use, lock, water. If you plan on using their showers then you'll need all of that stuff also. Many gyms will give first time members a tour and some lessons on how to use machines etc, ask about it when you arrive.
  • chelleann777
    chelleann777 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Thanks:) There are personal trainers, and I have one free session with him, so I hope that helps. Tonight I think I am just going to "tour" the gym and get a fill for it and what all they offer as in classes and such, but I also want to get into some weight lifting which I think will be very interesting.
  • tobafa
    tobafa Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Don't feel afraid to ask how machines work or if you are doing it right. Ask about proper form when lifting weights (women who lift weights are way sexy). Bring water and an MP3 player and get busy. No need to compare yourself to others either. You are there for your goals and for pete's sake don't be afraid to go. It's like being afraid to take your car to the car wash because it's too dirty. It's why you are there and no one will think twice about it.
  • soaps54
    soaps54 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Water!

Bring an iPod/music to help pass the time if you're using equipment.

Deodorant, hair ties, change of clothes.

Have fun!
  • Lisane1969
    Lisane1969 Posts: 11
    Options
    In deed, book with a trainor and discuss with him your goal. Also, depending on the time that your going there, make sure that you have enough energy to do your training, meaning don't go there on a empty stomach. For example, I go to the gym very early in the morning (around 6h00 am), altough I don't eat a full breakfast before a I go, i eat a banane or a grapefruit so that I have enough energy to do my routine. After the gym, I complete my breakfast..

A must for me is my Ipod. Music helps me go through my gym session.

Ii's hard to go to the gym, but so satisfying when your done. So keep that in mind and enjoy yourself. :happy:
  • chelleann777
    chelleann777 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Great tips/advice! Thanks everyone for replying:) I hadn't even thought about bring my Ipod! Don't know what I was thinking! :)
  • JCakebread
    JCakebread Posts: 3
    Options
    So I won a gym membership to Max Fitness, and I am super excited to go tonight for the first time. BUT I have never been in a gym before. For all of you gym goers is there any tips or advice you can offer? Anything I should or should not do? should bring? I just don't want to get there and be the idiot that everyone stares at. lol

The best way I know to stick with exercise is to find something you like to do. (Personally I like to run and I love Zumba!!!!!!!) Try lots of different things. Don't push yourself too far too fast. When using the tredmill, don't hold onto the sides. If your walking try use the incline settings and changing up the speed. If you want to run, I suggest doning something like the couch to 5K program (C25K). Good luck!!!!!