Sapph1re Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Just use natural sugar in moderation!
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options

agreed!
    i was a splenda-head for a couple years, but switched over to sugar in the raw. id rather have 20calories per packet than a laundry list of chemicals i can't pronounce. (though to be honest, i dont know what's in truvia *opens new tab to google it*) :)
  • MrsLVF
    MrsLVF Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Agreed..
  • angeliis02
    angeliis02 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Truvia if I had to choose. Splenda gives me severe migraines, took me a while to figure out the cause but when I cut it out they went away.
  • ZombieSlayer
    ZombieSlayer Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Whichever sweetener you prefer is the right one.

I use Splenda, regular sugar, or honey depending on the dish/drink.
  • JenSmith1104
    Options
    Use regular sugar so you aren't getting all of those chemicals.
  • chandra38
    chandra38 Posts: 112 Member
    Options

Definitely this! The others have chemicals.
  • StarvingDiva
    StarvingDiva Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    I have to agree, sugar in the raw is much better. If you must choose something with no calories, stick with stevia.
  • njoithomp
    njoithomp Posts: 61
    Options
    Splenda was actually created as a pest control chemical. When the researchers found that the "pests" were eating it and not dying, they adapted it as a sweetener for humans. Gross huh!

Truvia is a natural sweetener like sugar but without the addiction factor and negative effects on the body like sugar has. I agree natural is better, but sugar is not the answer.
  • mishmash73
    mishmash73 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I've been using raw sugar and just taking the hit w/the claories... but Jillian Michaels says Via is better for you than splenda in terms of toxins
  • lissypriss
    lissypriss Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I use stevia. I was a hardcore "blue sweetener" girl for years, and then found out it had been causing my nightly hives I've suffered for years! I also use coconut palm sugar--it rocks! :D
  • njoithomp
    njoithomp Posts: 61
    Options
    I have to agree, sugar in the raw is much better. If you must choose something with no calories, stick with stevia.
    Stevia and truvia come from the same source. Yet, this person is right - stevia is the best choice!
  • mallory3411
    mallory3411 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    I use Splenda since Truvia and Stevia are a bit pricey.

I don't use enough though to worry much. Anything is fine in moderation unless it causes health affects for you.
  • Improvised
    Improvised Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    I like the taste of Truvia much better than Splenda. I DO like Stevia In the Raw best, though. It's made by "Sugar in the Raw.:
  • TimWilkinson101
    TimWilkinson101 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Of the two, I would use Truvia. Its had much better feedback and has been used for a great deal longer and is more genuinley natural.

Its the only sweetener I would contemplate using.

That said I have not used it yet as its relatively expensive. Maybe best to ween yourself off your sweet tooth.
  • CalJur
    CalJur Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    NEITHER. Natural raw sugar in moderation is the key.
  • cygnetpro
    cygnetpro Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I use real sugar in moderation. I used to use a LOT of splenda. I ended up with an unusual form of cancer. Now, I am not suggesting for a moment that the splenda caused it-- no one knows what did. But I've tried to cut a lot of "fake" chemical-ly stuff out of my intake now. And that included splenda.

I have tried stevia, and it's OK. Not great. And I think it's plant based, but not sure what else they do to it. I'm sticking with sugar.
  • batalina
    batalina Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    i like truvia better -- that's actually my favorite of the various stevia sweetners available. i used to use splenda, but i didn't like the taste. truvia tastes a lot more like real sugar to me, and it's actually in little granules like sugar would be. i drink a lot of sweet iced tea, which would mean LOTS of sugar calories if i used real sugar, so the truvia is working out great for me.
    just a note though, if you're sensitive to erythritol, you should avoid truvia, maybe try another brand of stevia sweetener that doesn't have that in it. (that's how i got my giant box of truvia... my mom bought it for herself at costco... and then realized it has erythritol in it, which she can't have... :( )
  • celticmuse
    celticmuse Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Use regular sugar so you aren't getting all of those chemicals.

^^^ This and honey. I avoid chemicals in food at all costs. I'd rather live longer than lose a few extra calories. I also dislike the chemical taste...
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to tell you no like these others, instead I have practical information. Stevia dissolves best in cold drinks, splenda best in hot. Truvia is best for baking. Splenda is by far the worst for baking- the flavor is way off and it ruins the texture. Someone else posted they use Truvia in iced tea, which I haven't tried, but I can tell you it doesn't dissolve in a my whey protein shake, the crystals stay whole. In baked goods though, truvia definitely tastes the closest to real sugar.