At What Point Is It Safe To Run?

Options
I've dropped 40lbs, but still have 99 more to go. I haven't run in a very very long time and I'm trying to start strength training a little bit at a time. There's another 5K coming up in 2 months and I want to do it, but I think this one needs to be ran rather than walked like my last one. I go back to check up with my doctor in a couple of weeks. I'm guessing the answers will vary because it often depends on the person, but I was wondering if any of you had advice or could speak about your experiences when you started running? The last thing I want to do is injure myself.
So, when is it safe to start running?

Replies

• Jessie43082
    Jessie43082 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I was really heavy when I started running, probably around 240 or 250. I even did half marathons at that weight. It's become much easier and I've gotten faster as I have lost weight. I would say get fitted for good shoes at a running store and then start slow with walk/run combos and build up from there. Most importantly make sure you are listening to your body if you start running.
  • dianacannon89
    dianacannon89 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I would echo the P.P.

I started running much larger then both of you at 300+ lbs. Start slow and listen to your body! Start with a nice 20 min Wog (walk jog) just to get your bearings. Make sure you have the right shoes for you and bring water! If you want to follow a program like C25K do that it has helped me immensely. I am not tooting my own horn here but when I started running in March at 300+ lbs the farthest I could run was 30 seconds at one time and that was at about 3 MPH. Now 2 months later I am running 5 min intervals at 4.5 MPH. It takes work, its not easy or comfortable, but you can do it. If I can do it.... anyone can do it. I have competed in 2 races since I started and have been bitten by the running bug. I hated running all of my life but now it is another tool I am using and I love it. Tell yourself the entire time you are running... man this is so easy, wow look how fast I am, I could do this forever, this feels awesome etc... positive thoughts create a positive environment and its never hurts to be positive.
  • steph1278
    steph1278 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I was also over 250 pounds when I began the C25K program. I finished it last week and am now 239. I think that you won't know unless you try. For the majority of people, it is more mental than physical. You are constantly going to think that you can't, when you really are capable of more. If you do attempt it, make sure you have good shoes, and start slow. Endurance before speed. Good luck.
  • SavCal71
    SavCal71 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Just do it. Go out and run, and when you're body tells you to stop ... stop and walk. Keep cycling if you need to and eventually you'll increase your distance to being able to run it all (if you want to). Basically that's what C25K is.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    As long as your Dr. doesn't identify any medical issues it is safe to run right now. Just run within your ability and increase your distance and speed as your ability increases.
  • bojamashell
    bojamashell Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the advice. I won't be able to start running until I meet with my doctor because she has said that she doesn't want me running yet because she doesn't want me to disrupt the bulging discs I have in my lower back. But she has said that I will be able to one day. Now that I've lost 40lbs, hoping to lose more before my next appointment, I think she'll say it's okay as long as I'm not hurting myself.

I'm one of those people that always "wished" I was a runner. I ran track a little bit in my younger years of school, but since then ... nothing. Everytime I'm out at the lake walking or especially when I did my first 5K a couple weeks ago, I want to run. I'm an introvert, so I think I'd like the time that it's just me, my ipod, and my feet pounding the ground. Perhaps, I'll start running in place at home to build up a little endurance before going out to do it.
  • bojamashell
    Options
    I am not tooting my own horn here but when I started running in March at 300+ lbs the farthest I could run was 30 seconds at one time and that was at about 3 MPH. Now 2 months later I am running 5 min intervals at 4.5 MPH.

... positive thoughts create a positive environment and its never hurts to be positive.

Diana- this is great! You've improved quite a bit in a short time! I agree that it's a good idea to create a positive environment. I notice a difference in days when I'm walking and I tell myself "Man, I really didn't want to walk today. I have all this other stuff that needs to be done and I'm tired." and the days when I say to myself "wohoo, I'm getting movin'. I'm getting movin'. I'll be running a marathon in no time! I love being healthy and I just know I'm meant to be fit!"
  • dianacannon89
    dianacannon89 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I am not tooting my own horn here but when I started running in March at 300+ lbs the farthest I could run was 30 seconds at one time and that was at about 3 MPH. Now 2 months later I am running 5 min intervals at 4.5 MPH.

... positive thoughts create a positive environment and its never hurts to be positive.

Diana- this is great! You've improved quite a bit in a short time! I agree that it's a good idea to create a positive environment. I notice a difference in days when I'm walking and I tell myself "Man, I really didn't want to walk today. I have all this other stuff that needs to be done and I'm tired." and the days when I say to myself "wohoo, I'm getting movin'. I'm getting movin'. I'll be running a marathon in no time! I love being healthy and I just know I'm meant to be fit!"

LOL I do the same thing! wooo look at me goo hahahahah!! & Thanks! My next is in Halloween and I am going to train 3 days a week to get my time lower! My first and second I finished in 45;04 & 45:31 so my next I should be around 40lbs lighter and goal will be at least 5 min faster! I hope that's realistic.
  • bojamashell
    Options

LOL I do the same thing! wooo look at me goo hahahahah!! & Thanks! My next is in Halloween and I am going to train 3 days a week to get my time lower! My first and second I finished in 45;04 & 45:31 so my next I should be around 40lbs lighter and goal will be at least 5 min faster! I hope that's realistic.

That's awesome! I'm glad you mentioned that about being realistic. I think that's where I've failed with weight loss before is setting unrealistic goals and then being disappointed and giving up. Yay for realistic goals and expectations of ourselves!! You are going to improve your time for sure!!