Elliptical does it get easier

Options
mojox2003
mojox2003 Posts: 276 Member
Well I got myself one of these for home im a big girl at 285lbs and feel very bad about my body thing is I could only do about 2 mins on easy without not being able to breath.

Please tell me that it gets better anyone know a good routine that I can do to help me get better on it.

Replies

• mwitherite
    mwitherite Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Excersize ALWAYS starts out hard. I'm a smaller girl and after having 2 kids back to back I decided to start working out again. I'm on day 16 and I see a big difference from day one. Just keep at it! Be persistant and you'll get there!! Try walking more too anything really! Just keep at it and don't lose sight in your goals!!!!!!!! :) Good luck!
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    It will get SO much easier. You did two minutes - next, work up to 5. Before you know it you'll be easily doing 20, 30, 60 minutes on it.

I agree with mwitherite - add some walking into your program. First just around the block, then add more. Like most everything in life, it's hard at first but your body will work up to it soon and you'll be more fit and lose weight to boot.
  • mojox2003
    Options
    Thanks for the advice ladies I will get some walking in as well.
  • ebonyroche
    ebonyroche Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Well I got myself one of these for home im a big girl at 285lbs and feel very bad about my body thing is I could only do about 2 mins on easy without not being able to breath.

Please tell me that it gets better anyone know a good routine that I can do to help me get better on it.
    I too just bought an elliptical machine that I have eyeing for 2yrs and I'm 308lbs. I tried the 20 min programmed workouts and I had keep stopping, it was so hard and I could do turbo jam cardio party with no problems. But it does get easier I can make it throough the program now. Keep at it, you'll do great.:smile:
  • coletteann123
    Options
    the hardest part is Staring a new excercise!! So you have done that!!

It will get easier, dont feel disheartened, stick with it and you will never look back, the personal acievement and the feeling you will get when you are getting fitter will outweigh anything else!

Dont give up! go for it, work yourself up slowly and steadily and you will get there!! :-)
  • Loraah
    Loraah Posts: 111 Member
    Options

I was in the same boat. Now I love my elliptical. I'm 177kg so exercise is still quite hard, the elliptical is great because it's low impact for my knees. It will get easier. I totally agree with the walking thing. I usually do my workout on the elliptical and then head out for a walk as my cool down
  • ebonyroche
    ebonyroche Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice ladies I will get some walking in as well.
    I do walk away the pounds 15 min/1 mile walk before I get on the elliptical, just to get me going.
  • MyFeistyEvolution
    MyFeistyEvolution Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Ok it WILL get easier. Don't go crazy and just add a few minutes on every day. Before you know it, you'll be on that sucker for a hour and posting threads asking for harder workouts. :wink:
  • hiker282
    hiker282 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    Not if you keep bumping up the resistance.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Try some intervals. Push really hard for 40 seconds to 2 minutes. Then go easy for a 1-2 minutes. Repeat several times. Do this 3x/week for a few weeks, and you'll find that your speed and endurance will both have increased.
  • MyFeistyEvolution
    MyFeistyEvolution Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Not if you keep bumping up the resistance.

Semantics... ;)
  • Loraah
    Loraah Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Try some intervals. Push really hard for 40 seconds to 2 minutes. Then go easy for a 1-2 minutes. Repeat several times. Do this 3x/week for a few weeks, and you'll find that your speed and endurance will both have increased.
    I totally agree with this one. Intervals have been amazing for me. I started off doing 1 minute of fast speed and going slow until I could manage to go fast again, now I can do an entire hour straight averaging at that higher speed.

Never give up
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    anyone know a good routine that I can do to help me get better on it.
    Tyler lost 100+ pounds exclusively with elliptical workouts. He has since mentioned that he regrets not having started strength training sooner, but he lays out his experiences with elliptical workouts. It's a great read.

http://www.344pounds.com/2009/06/elliptical-workout-program/

Best wishes!
  • brismom070897
    brismom070897 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    bump
  • kaji13
    kaji13 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    It absolutely gets easier! But don't LET it get easier - once you find that you can easily do 30-60 minutes, up the resistance or speed. When I started I could only do about 8 minutes on the easiest setting, but now I can do about 45 and I have upped the challenge quite a bit
  • Skeena4
    Skeena4 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    You've done the hardest part! STARTING! If you can only do 2 mins... do 2 mins...yes it's hard, yes you'll want to die...so then rest for 15-30 seconds, then get back on and do another 2 mins... work your way up and you'll find that you don't need to rest much... if at all... very soon!
    Best of luck!
  • fatchiick
    fatchiick Posts: 105
    Options
    YESSSSS IM A BIG GIRL TOO, I REMEMBER WHEN I FIRST TRIED THE ELLIPTICAL AT THE GYM... I could litterally stay a min... then 2 mins after about a week of only being able to do 15 mins id do 30 then 45... mind you I was exercising the whole time... treadmill and exercise bike... so I was conditioning myself and now I despise every machine except the elliptical love it rather do it for an hour than anything else...
  • mojox2003
    Options
    Wow thanks everyone this is realy good im going to keep at it I need to get some exercise in my life somehow so thought this is the best thing.

Im going to try with the fast/slow thing and see how I do with that.

Thanks again guys