Give me your best tips on getting the last 5-10lbs off!

I have 5 to 10 lbs left to lose and I need some good tips and inspiration. This is looking like it may be the first month in almost 2 years that I am not going to see a loss on the scale, and to be honest it is bumming me out a little! *lol*

I was lifting heavy and doing cardio, but decided to change it up and do Jillian Michael's Body Revolution for 3 months, then go back to my lifting. I workout for about an hour 6 days a week and also go for a brisk walk in the afternoon for around 40 minutes. I eat 1500-1700 calories, and my body fat is 30% according to some online calculators.

So give me your thoughts!! :)

Replies

• Eve1972
    Eve1972 Posts: 297
    Oh and I am a smidgen over 5 feet and weight 131..
  • Eve1972
    Anyone? I need wisdom people! *lol*
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    If the lifting and cardio were working for you, maybe that's what you need to get back to in order to get to your goal weight. Also, I find that the tape tells the tale better than the scale does. I could be losing inches all over the place with no change in my weight.
  • Simply cardio...NO WEIGHT LIFTING!!! For toning, do pilates.
  • agbaeb
    agbaeb Posts: 179 Member
    Bump :)
  • PLUMSGRL
    PLUMSGRL Posts: 1,134 Member
    change up your cardio routine, don't expect the last few pounds to come off easy, it will take months of continued hard work.

***BUT***

if you're trying to loose size,cardio and heavy weights (alternate days)~
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,294 Member
    A small caloric deficit (no more than 250 cals/day, 0.5lb/week weight loss goal), a heavy lifting strength training routine and plenty of protein, all so you don't lose muscle as you lose the last bit of fat.

You deficit can be diet alone or a combo of cardio and diet. No need to do cardio, all cardio will do is allow you to eat more while maintaining the same deficit. If you burn 600 cals you need to eat those back to ensure your deficit is not too large and you risk losing muscle mass instead of fat.

I have been cutting for the past couple of months and only do cardio once/week.
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    I would say go back to heavy lifting.

I tried JMBR and it was WAYYYY easy for me. I too, have 10 pounds to lose and would like to hear some advice. I'm only 20%BF tho so it is getting difficult.
  • erickirb
    Simply cardio...NO WEIGHT LIFTING!!! For toning, do pilates.

Worst advice ever, unless you want the loss to come from lean muscle and not fat.

When in a caloric deficit you need to add strength training otherwise the body thinks it doesn't need the muscle and will shed it to lose your BMR. Cardio is not needed at all. You can use it as a tool to help create a deficit, but that can be done from diet alone.
  • DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    I can cut down to a 'normal' weight pretty easily, but getting a bit leaner is always a pain.

A month or two of pretty clean eating, and adding 20mins of cardio (trail running) got me to lose the last 15lbs or so.

Pretty hard to maintain though.

On a lighter note, even at a pretty normal/skinny weight, I look better then 80% of most guys around here. I at least look fit.
  • rosemadderv
    rosemadderv Posts: 25
    Try changing your calories by a few hundred up or down- you might be eating too much or not enough for how much you are working out etc.

I'm 5'3", about the same weight and I do best when I really only eat about 1200 cal or a little less per day. Now, I'm not doing lots of working out like you are, but see if your total net calories is above 1200 and try changing it up.

Oddly, sometimes you need to eat more to lose weight, and it's really about finding that 'sweet spot' of calorie intake.

Good luck!
  • preussen101
    preussen101 Posts: 17
    If the lifting and cardio were working for you, maybe that's what you need to get back to in order to get to your goal weight. Also, I find that the tape tells the tale better than the scale does. I could be losing inches all over the place with no change in my weight.

^That is very true. Also, I found that body fat calculators online can be close, but are never right on the mark. I got a $30 weight watchers BMI scale from a Bed Bath & Beyond and it says my body fat is at 28.3% versus the 30% the online calcs tell me.

In regards to tips, I've tried putting lemon juice in room temperature water and that seems to keep my belly a little slimmer throughout the day. Stick to warm liquids whenever you have the option, as cold drinks tend to trick your stomach into thinking you are more hungry than you really are. Eating a good probiotic yogurt with activate cultures (like Activia) will promote better digestion, leading to a flatter stomach. Preventing yourself from swallowing air by drinking any kind of carbonated or fizzy drinks as well as chewing gum will help too. I wish I could say I understand your struggle, but I'm not that close to my end goal yet :/ Maybe replacing a few of your daily carbs with protein will do good. You're almost there, keep going! :]

Oh, and drink some green tea! It never hurts ;D
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Same as before, but probably with a slightly smaller calorie deficit.
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member

that was your first post ever? OP please don't listen to this advice...
  • :bigsmile: Hey!
    Exercise is the key. Check out Gaiam TV. For 9.95 a month you get unlimited workout videos! Better than joining a gym unless you are looking to meet a bf/gf. Also check out Raw Protien made by Garden of Life on amazon.com. You can also try Herbalife products (google to find a representative)....both of these work well for me. You have to keep your fruits that are high in sugar to a minimum such as bananas. Try to eat more protien than what this site tells you, that works too. Cut out anything white....bread, pasta. Also eat as much fresh food as you can, no frozen dinners or processed foods. Good luck!!
  • sportsforfun
    sportsforfun Posts: 353
    My personal opinion is to go back to lifting heavy 3x per week with cardio 2-3x per week. Try increasing yoru protein intake and decreasing your carb intake while lifting and mainting a deficit. Just a few thoughts to jump start the weight loss.
  • Eve1972
    Thanks everyone! I am for sure going back to heavy lifting after I finish this Body Revolution (I am like a dog with a bone about starting something and needing to finish it. *lol*)

What is everyone's thoughts on P90X? I have all the New Rules books, so may do one of those. I pretty much hit my protein everyday (according to the calculation using lean body mass), and I keep my carbs to 150 or less because I have PCOS and IR.

I eat clean 95% of the time, drink a ton of water etc. I measure, but haven't lost anything around my waist in about a month, but not sure how extra skin plays into that measurement.

I guess patience is the name of the game, but after losing continuously for almost 2 years, it is hard to come by! *lol*

Thanks again everyone, it is greatly appreciated!
  • stevemcknight
    stevemcknight Posts: 647 Member

Surely this is a joke right?
  • erickirb
    :bigsmile: Hey!
    Exercise is the key. Check out Gaiam TV. For 9.95 a month you get unlimited workout videos! Better than joining a gym unless you are looking to meet a bf/gf. Also check out Raw Protien made by Garden of Life on amazon.com. You can also try Herbalife products (google to find a representative)....both of these work well for me. You have to keep your fruits that are high in sugar to a minimum such as bananas. Try to eat more protien than what this site tells you, that works too. Cut out anything white....bread, pasta. Also eat as much fresh food as you can, no frozen dinners or processed foods. Good luck!!

This may work, but is not necessary at all. You just need a small deficit and lift so you don't lose muscle as you lose fat. That is it, it is that simple.
  • erickirb
    Thanks everyone! I am for sure going back to heavy lifting after I finish this Body Revolution (I am like a dog with a bone about starting something and needing to finish it. *lol*)

What is everyone's thoughts on P90X? I have all the New Rules books, so may do one of those. I pretty much hit my protein everyday (according to the calculation using lean body mass), and I keep my carbs to 150 or less because I have PCOS and IR.

I eat clean 95% of the time, drink a ton of water etc. I measure, but haven't lost anything around my waist in about a month, but not sure how extra skin plays into that measurement.

I guess patience is the name of the game, but after losing continuously for almost 2 years, it is hard to come by! *lol*

Thanks again everyone, it is greatly appreciated!

Not P90X, if you are looking at a heavy lifting program, it is not a heavy lifting routine, but it is good for fitness and losing weight.