My first half marathon!

Options
11 months ago I was 45lbs heavier and couldn't have run a mile to save my life. This past Saturday I completed my first distance race ever (in my entire life!!). 13.1 miles in 2 hours 38 minutes. Not a great pace, or even my average pace, but I've been battling an IT band injury for the last few weeks so I'm grateful to have finished at all, and relatively pain free. I'm not done with my weight loss but I'm incredibly proud of this accomplishment and I can't wait for the next one. I'm already committed to a few 5 and 10k's this summer and another Half in October.

In just under a year I've lost a good amount of weight, gotten back into pretty decent shape, quit smoking and reached quite a few personal goals - this one being one of the biggest. I feel like wearing my medal around all day every day and shouting Victory is mine at all who stop and stare!! Ok, not really, but it still feels incredible.

JOMarathon.jpg

Replies

• chersheppard
    chersheppard Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!

I'm training for my first half marathon too, it's in October.
  • dawlschic007
    dawlschic007 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    That's awesome!! Congrats on all your success!

I'm starting to train for my first 1/2 marathon, too. It's in August.
  • bmaxwell31
    bmaxwell31 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Awesome.....
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Congrats. Mine is in July and I know I will be just as stoked to finish. And IT band issues suck but thank goodness for the foam roll.
  • meliibabii87
    Options
    Awesome!!!! Great job and keep up the good work!
    =]
  • hyperkate
    hyperkate Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Well done you!!! I love seeing running success stories! :-)
  • rockstargal629
    Options
    For those of you training for upcoming Half Marathons, I can't say enough about the Smart Pacing teams. I hope that each of your Half's have them because there is no way I would have crossed the finish line in the time I did without them. I was running by myself so I didn't have any supporters and I'd been taking it easy the last 3-4 weeks leading up to the race because of my IT band so I researched the Smart Pacers and selected a time and group I felt would be best for me. They were all awesome, it took my mind off the effort and any pain I was having, not to mention you have someone right next to you cheering you on if you're struggling. Plus they made it fun!!! Which is probably the most important part! I will definitely be running with the Smart Pacers in October as well (maybe a 2:30? Or a 2:20?)
  • librislady
    librislady Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting this! After several 5Ks and two 10Ks, I'm running my first half-marathon in October and I'm so excited to train for it!
  • SweatpantsRebellion
    SweatpantsRebellion Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! That's an awesome accomplishment. And way to go on the weight loss. I am a newer runner. I'll be doing a 5k June 3rd and my first half September 23rd.

For all of you training for halfs, there's a group here devoted to half-marathon training.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/1788-half-marathon-training-group
  • nmjellison
    nmjellison Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Congrats!
    And thanks for the pointers - I am currently training for my first and second half marathons (June and August) and don't have anyone to run along side me (but do know people who are running it as well). I will have to look into this! : )
  • niecyc23
    niecyc23 Posts: 402
    Options
    Congrats you did great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • chrystee
    chrystee Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    That is so inspiring!
    I would seriously suggest yoga for all runners.
  • lwoods34
    lwoods34 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    That is awesome! Congrats on such a great achievement! You should be very proud of yourself. I am currently training for a half marathon which is also in October. I havent run a half marathon since December 2009 (I got pregnant at the end of January 2010). I spent a year building my speed and endurance back up and have finally gotten the courage to sign up for a race. I ran a 5K at the end of March and did really well (27:26). I will probably run a few more 5Ks and 10Ks leading up to the race in October. I joined a running group that is sponsoring the race and so far we have done 3 group runs which have been pretty good. In addition to all of my other workouts, I am running about 20-30 miles per week.

Feel free to add me as a friend for extra support and motivation! Would love to have some running friends!!!
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    You cray cray! :wink:

That is amazing & inspirational...I just finished my second 5km and I feel proud...I can't even imagine a half marathon! Excellent!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!