what are some low carb snacks or quick meals? HELP!

Options
PLEASE share, what are some low carb snacks or quick meals? I am looking for new ideas to help keep me on track! :) also please add me!

Replies

• Tonnina
    Tonnina Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Cheese sticks, eggs, any veggies I personally love celery or cucumber.
  • chollingshed74
    chollingshed74 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    cream cheese mixed with splenda.....ummmm, taste like cheesecake filling ;)
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options

I normally try not to criticize other people's food choices, but seriously?! Cream cheese is incredibly high calorie and very high in fat. And most dairy products are not very low in carbs either. I won't even get into a rant about artificial sweeteners...I don't see how this could be at all satisfying if you're eating the 2 tablespoon serving size. Honestly, 2T isn't even enough to spread over half a bagel.

You can't just remove carbs from your diet only to replace them with fat. Both carbs and fat are only used for energy and if you eat more than your body needs at one time the excess will be stored as fat.
  • amsky
    amsky Posts: 916 Member
    Options

I normally try not to criticize other people's food choices, but seriously?! Cream cheese is incredibly high calorie and very high in fat. And most dairy products are not very low in carbs either. I won't even get into a rant about artificial sweeteners...I don't see how this could be at all satisfying if you're eating the 2 tablespoon serving size. Honestly, 2T isn't even enough to spread over half a bagel.

You can't just remove carbs from your diet only to replace them with fat. Both carbs and fat are only used for energy and if you eat more than your body needs at one time the excess will be stored as fat.

The OP didn't ask for a rant on high fat and carbs ...OP ASKED for low carb snack/meal ideas .

With that : Greek Yogurt , low glycemic fruit ( like berries ), Full Fat cheese, natural peanut butter, protein bars ( like Adkins, Pure Protein), nuts ( almonds, cashews, pistachio, macadamia), beef jerky...just to name a few *go-to* items.
  • nrvo
    nrvo Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I like fage 0% greek yogurt mixed with sugar-free cherry jello powder, white tuna mixed with avocado (instead of mayo) and lemon, fresh seasonal fruits and veggies (I tend to buy what's on sale), low sodium turkey sandwiches in whole wheat pitas........my food diary is open if you're looking for ideas!
  • klabeau
    klabeau Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Interesting! I will have to try this
  • amsky
    amsky Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    Interesting! I will have to try this

I was *thinking* the same thing klabeau!!

Cream cheese mixed with canned salmon in a food proccessor is YUMMY on cucumcer *chips* too!
  • lexy83
    lexy83 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • tmarie2715
    tmarie2715 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options

Maybe she is using fat free or 1/3 fat cream cheese?

Cream cheese grosses me out.

Edited to add something helpful to OP: La Tortilla Factory makes a "Smart and Delicious Low Carb High Fiber Tortilla." They come in a lot of flavors and one is 50 cals, and it is a good size. I usually cut them in half for 25 cals and 5g carbs. Spread with hummus and veggies, cottage cheese and veggies, toast with a little nonstick cooking spray and eat with salsa...
  • cherbapp
    cherbapp Posts: 322
    Options
    My favorite low-carb meal is a mesquite chicken breast (precooked/frozen)...microwave for 2 minutes while I cut up some peppers and onions (usually I do a big bowl at once for a few days worth)...and then slice the chicken into strips and sauté with the peppers and onions.

If I am stingy on the oil or use nonstick spray, my whole plate of food is under 300 calories and takes about 7 minutes. :)
  • tallbold
    tallbold Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Edamame is my fave! Its low carb, high in fibre and keeps me full with veggies!
  • jonnysgirl1701
    Options
    Pork rinds help me get some crunch and are really filling....the plain ones are kinda gross But taste ok if you are dipping it in something, I like the barbque, hot n' spicy with guacamole (just watch the onions and tomatoes). Pepperoni slices (microwaved and they r like chips) cheese, celery with peanut butter (just have to watch how much), veggies and cream cheese as a dip (just microwave it a bit) Almonds but you have to watch how many (they are a bit higher in the carb count). If I am really getting tired of the same old food there are some carb hacks that I found using cauliflower as rice, pizza crust, or mac n' cheese etc.
  • lexy83
    lexy83 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • superstankazz
    superstankazz Posts: 193
    Options

"You can't just remove carbs from your diet only to replace them with fat"~ OF COURSE YOU CAN!!!!! That is HOW a low carb diet works! DUHHHH! Read a book!
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    "You can't just remove carbs from your diet only to replace them with fat"~ OF COURSE YOU CAN!!!!! That is HOW a low carb diet works! DUHHHH! Read a book!

+1

LOL
  • neederan
    neederan Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    How about Deli beef roll ups? I use low sodium roast beef, spread with FF or reduced fat cream cheese (you can use mustard to to make a spread with the two) and wrap around a dill pickle. You can make them ahead to grab and go. I watch sodium so i use very little pickle, just enough for crunch and flavor.
    These are popular in the Dukan diet. There are other combinations too..use your own combos.
  • cindyhoney2
    cindyhoney2 Posts: 603 Member
    Options

+1

LOL
    It's called Atkins, I lost 70 lbs doing this b/f finding MFP.
  • dis5150
    dis5150 Posts: 157 Member
    Options

I mix it with liquid splenda (EzSweetz) so you don't have to count the carbs of granular splenda. Sometimes I also add a half teaspoon of unsweetened cocoa to the mix. So yummy! And I usually have 2 oz at a time!

Doing low carb means not having to stay low calorie (I stay around 1500) and fat is a GOOD thing on a low carb diet. OP, try asking your question in a low carb forum and you won't get the criticism you will find in the open foums. :)

Also, I make cheese crisps in the microwave. Put teaspoon size piles of shredded cheese (I mix in some spices like garlic powder, red pepper flakes, etc. first) on parchment paper about an inch apart. Microwave 40 seconds or so (depending on your microwave's power), until they are brownish and crispy. Great snack if you are looking for something crunchy!
  • barb_136
    barb_136 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    "Ants on a log"--celery stick with peanut butter in crevice, lined with cranberries or raisins,
    low cal cheese stick
    cucumbers/peppers/onion with vinegar.

Don't have any suggestions for fruit yet.
  • Paxtonite
    Paxtonite Posts: 22
    Options
    Tin of tuna mixed with a load of veg (+cayenne pepper!)