combining proteins and carbs.

Options
Ive also been told due to the digestive nature of our bodies that you shouldnt combine eating protein and carbs in the same meal. something about the acidity in our stomach needs to change to digest these at the same time. Proteins need an alkaline environment to digest, and carbs need an acidic environment to digest properly. has anyone heard of this before? I think it would be a pain in the bum to eat these seperately but if its better for overall digestive health. any ideas experts?

http://www.acidalkalinediet.com/food-combining-chart

any opinions on this?

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I believe our stomach is always very acidic. http://www.springerlink.com/content/x1405n63148782l1/

"In the fasted state, the median gastric pH was 1.7 and the median duodenal pH was 6.1. When the meal was administered the gastric pH climbed briefly to a median peak value of 6.7, then declined gradually back to the fasted state value over a period of less than 2 hr. In contrast to the pH behavior in the stomach, feeding a meal caused a reduction in the median duodenal pH to 5.4."

so the whole castle may be built on quicksand
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,007 Member
    Options
    Considering there's plenty of protein in quite a few carb sources from natural food, unless mother nature is trying to kill us, I wouldn't worry too much about it. And then there is the science that says everything in the stomach ends up acidic and when it gets digested it's mostly alkaline.....the body does a pretty good job keeping our pH levels fairly constant considering death is the alternative.
  • xraylady33
    xraylady33 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    This is what Suzanne Somers tried to promote in one of her books. Now she says she has cured Breast Cancer.
    Choose wisely, and you will be rewarded.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,007 Member
    Options
    This is what Suzanne Somers tried to promote in one of her books. Now she says she has cured Breast Cancer.
    Choose wisely, and you will be rewarded.
    I believe Suzanne Somers passed away a few years ago.
  • IzzieLee
    IzzieLee Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I think you may be confusing her with Farrah Fawcett. Suzanne Somers is alive and still disseminating her mis-information.