Become a Better Cyclist?

Options
Hey everyone, I just joined this site about a week ago and I'm really getting into it. My main problem is making sure I work out enough. I've tried running/jogging in the past and it's just not my thing. I really enjoy biking though.
The farthest I've ever biked was a 22 mile round trip deal. I'm really not very experienced though and I'd like to become a more professional cyclist in time. Does anyone have any tips for me?

Replies

• Kristinemomof3
    Kristinemomof3 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    I'm interested too! My hubby just completed a week of about 360 miles during http://www.hfhcoverindiana.org/ It was his third year doing it and he has a blast every year. He's going to work on building me a bike, since his was so expensive and we really can't spend as much (he has a habanero titanium bike that was custom.) Part of me wants to start cycling with him and part of it scares me to death.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Cycling is a lot like running in that becoming a better cyclist requires riding more.

One thing I would suggest, if you have a bike club locally, is to take a road safety course and, if they offer them, participate in some group rides.

Some basics would include always obeying traffic rules (don't ride on the sidewalk, ride with traffic, stop at lights etc) ride defensively (don't assume that the people in cars notice you) and make yourself as visible / noticeable as possible (I ride with a flashing white LED light front & red flashing LED all the time and have a more powerful headlight for night rides)

Make sure your bike fits you properly, it actually makes quite a difference in terms of both comfort and mechanical efficiency.

Have fun & ride safe!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Is you're question more about etiquette/equipment, or fitness/technique?

Etiquette is pretty basic - follow traffic laws, give drivers the right of way... basically be a good ambassador of the sport. When riding with other people, try to keep up as best you can, and try to be slow enough so you don't lose anyone. This can be hard depending on the group, but generally speaking being considerate of the other riders goes a long way.

Equipment can vary once you get beyond the basics. Have a reliable bike and helmet, anything beyond that is strictly determined by your needs and your budget.

Fitness comes in many forms. Squats and dead lifts have had the single biggest impact on my riding. They've made me a MUCH stronger ride. More time in the saddle is the best way to work on endurance, and there's not much to replicate that.

Technique is a lot about feel. Pedal stroke, power/cadence, etc... I'd worry about the other stuff before I got too hung up on all of that (unless you have racing in mind in the near future).

• cyclerjenn
    cyclerjenn Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    Cycling is a lot like running in that becoming a better cyclist requires riding more.

One thing I would suggest, if you have a bike club locally, is to take a road safety course and, if they offer them, participate in some group rides.

Some basics would include always obeying traffic rules (don't ride on the sidewalk, ride with traffic, stop at lights etc) ride defensively (don't assume that the people in cars notice you) and make yourself as visible / noticeable as possible (I ride with a flashing white LED light front & red flashing LED all the time and have a more powerful headlight for night rides)

Make sure your bike fits you properly, it actually makes quite a difference in terms of both comfort and mechanical efficiency.

Have fun & ride safe!

^^ yep. Joining the clubs will help you build friends and learn new places to ride.

Have fun and be safe!
  • dtpss188
    dtpss188 Posts: 85
    Options
    Ride often Have fun. Ride in a safe place (traffic, dogs, losers). Enjoy yourself and hopefully begin to appreciate how hard you can push yourself as you become fitter. Wear a helmet, get a cycling computer (even a cheapo can be fine). My personal thrills are climbing hills (the more you do the better you get at them, trust me it's fun!), seeing how much faster and capable I become with more saddle time, enjoying the scenery. Have fun.

Shop at a bike shop not department store. Ask questions and do research. Have fun. The more you ride, the more questions will come up, the more you learn. It is a great activity and other cyclists feel the same enthusiasm. Good luck.
  • drlebo13
    drlebo13 Posts: 9
    Options
    I'm mostly interested in equipment and technique. I think I have the etiquette part down. I've been riding for leisure since I was a kid and had some pretty good teachers aka my parents. :)
    Is there a website or something where I can find cycling clubs or groups? I'm from a fairly small city and I don't really know of any clubs or cycling shops where I could ask.
    I guess for now I will just keep increasing how much I ride. I have a cheapo mountain bike that I use now since I can't afford a fitted road bike. And the only equipment I have would be my chain lock. I'm very much an eager beginner. :)
    Thanks for the ideas and support!